Manifold got red hot after 5 mins running by MANATEE
Started on: 02-25-2013 03:57 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: LornesGT on 03-07-2013 02:29 AM
MANATEE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
After getting all my wiring for my tail lights working I started the 2.8L on my 87 gt and notice the part of the manifold that runs between the firewall and the front of the engine was turning red like glowing...the engine was not hot but my temp guage is not working which im geting ready to start to work on...we did have the car running for about 15 min about 1 week ago but did not notice it. I popped the cap on the coolant next to the engine and it was full...any ideas were i should start to fined the problem...thanks...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentDirect Link to This Post
Might be running lean
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Retarded timing will do that too.
MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
could that be the reason it keeps throwing a code 42 ....whats the best way to attack it...thanks..
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
egr tube has a hole in it mighty big one i guess. i have a replacement tube $25 shipped it is from a camaro. you just need to elongate the screw holes on the egr side and it fits and will last longer than any other replacement.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

egr tube has a hole in it mighty big one i guess. i have a replacement tube $25 shipped it is from a camaro. you just need to elongate the screw holes on the egr side and it fits and will last longer than any other replacement.

This was my thought too... and that has been my experience on several Fieros.

I x2 this response.
tntcary

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading somewhere on here I believe that a bad O2 sensor can cause a real quick red hot manifold. Improper air/fuel mix big time.
MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input...I will try that on Thur...so i have discribe the area in correctly...from the passenger side under the car ithe coolant hose runs up in front of the rear tire..and clamps onto a pipe that pipe runs about 1 foot or so and spits in 2 one under the air intake hose and the other runs in front of the engine between that and the fire wall...ir looks like th epipe gets just a little bigger in the center of the engine...that gets hot..this is not the cat. converter is it...and can my termistat be stuck...
I for got to mention that we drained the coolant when we streatched it....could i have air pockets in the collant lines...

[This message has been edited by MANATEE (edited 02-26-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
a Bad, or disconnected O2 sensor will do that also
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MANATEE:

Thanks for the input...I will try that on Thur...so i have discribe the area in correctly...from the passenger side under the car ithe coolant hose runs up in front of the rear tire..and clamps onto a pipe that pipe runs about 1 foot or so and spits in 2 one under the air intake hose and the other runs in front of the engine between that and the fire wall...ir looks like th epipe gets just a little bigger in the center of the engine...that gets hot..this is not the cat. converter is it...and can my termistat be stuck...
I for got to mention that we drained the coolant when we streatched it....could i have air pockets in the collant lines...

Cat converter is in the middle of the car (underneath) just behind the seats in the engine compartment if original and nobody altered it. I have heard the a bad cat can cause the exshaust pipe to glow. If your worried about the coolant check at the engine where the thermostat is located, twist the cap off. This is really easy to check on a cool to cold engine. Also look at the overflow tank by the radiator.

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchDirect Link to This Post
Had an audi exhaust glow red, plugged cat.
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
is there a blanket or cover on the egr? you might want to take it off to look for holes. i am almost 100% on this .
MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
I did a quick check on the location last night...and its not were the coolant house..it were the manifold splits off and runs in front of the motor right behind the seats...there are 2 bolts and small braces its right after that is were is glowing..is that were the cat. is located..the car was a one owner and the lady that owed it said she had nothing changed from stock....I'll get under the car tommorow and check everything you guys have mention...but just trying to narrow it down were to start...thanks again for all the info....
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
I am new to the exhaust routing but pretty sure both manifolds come together where you mentioned with the Y at the left side of the engine ( from the rear of car). Then down to an elbow then to the cat and back around to the rear of the car to the muffler and out to the tips.
MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
Well I cut off the heat tardent that was on the tub from the EGR to the motor and there was no wholes or cracks anywhere...I was hoping that was it but when i started it up the manifold that between the engine and firewall was glowing within less the 2 mins.....I checked the Oxogen senser and its conection and ot was snug and the contection was good....since I will be customizing the whole exhaust is it smart for the next move to cut off the exhaust were the cat. converter to see if its clogged up since I will be replacing it with a new cat and exhaust system....I dont have the equipment to check the timming to see if its retarted...and I'm saving that as a last check...is this the easiest route to take so far.....thanks..
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryDirect Link to This Post

Well I cut off the heat tardent that was on the tub from the EGR to the motor and there was no wholes or cracks anywhere...I was hoping that was it but when i started it up the manifold that between the engine and firewall was glowing within less the 2 mins.....I checked the Oxogen senser and its conection and ot was snug and the contection was good....since I will be customizing the whole exhaust is it smart for the next move to cut off the exhaust were the cat. converter to see if its clogged up since I will be replacing it with a new cat and exhaust system....I dont have the equipment to check the timming to see if its retarted...and I'm saving that as a last check...is this the easiest route to take so far.....thanks..

Just to be safe maybe you should throw on a different O2 sensor... just because connection is good and snug doesn't mean the sensor is actually functioning correctly. Take ya 2 minutes just to be sure.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
Should have a check engine light if the O2 sensor wasnt working, correct?
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Should have a check engine light if the O2 sensor wasnt working, correct?

This is a Fiero we are talking about bagaahahah! Yes.... usually, but I have seen it not throw a code when the symptom is what this poster has.
Go Figure
Just sayin to change it out to be sure as ya never know.... Fiero... ehh.
MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
I will change the oxogen sensor first and correct me if im wrong but there is only 1 of them on the drivers side running down to the cat. also the only SES is light for a code 42...its been on since i got the car i cleared the code it has come back on but nothing on the o2 sensor....thanks

[This message has been edited by MANATEE (edited 03-03-2013).]

MANATEE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MANATEESend a Private Message to MANATEEDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys...thanks for all the input the 02 sensor did the job....5 mins and $14 bucks later...its running great....thanks again.
tntcary

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tntcarySend a Private Message to tntcaryDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys...thanks for all the input the 02 sensor did the job....5 mins and $14 bucks later...its running great....thanks again.

NP, I LOOOVE when its the super quick easy fix. Those are the ones that seem to get overlooked sometimes.
PFF
System Bot
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Plus for you on finnishing the post and posting the fix.
Nothing worst than doing a search on a problem and no closure.

------------------

84 Show winner
88 LT1

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonzo:

Plus for you on finnishing the post and posting the fix.
Nothing worst than doing a search on a problem and no closure.

Amen to that!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock