ECU Wiring Question by cerulean
Started on: 02-17-2013 09:26 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: chetw77cruiser on 02-18-2013 08:42 PM
cerulean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I'm looking at swapping a 1227165 into my 84. Most of the lines are the same, but the grounds seem to be different. I don't have all the wiring diagrams for an 89 S10 that the ECU came from, but I did find some on line. Two of the grounds on the ECU are tied together and labeled as direct grounds.

Can anyone tell me what "Direct Ground" means in this context?

Thanks,
Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chetw77cruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserDirect Link to This Post
It has to do with the injector driver setup relating to the ground side of the driver.

The injector driver in the 7165 was designed to either control 1 peak/hold injector (tbi) or several saturated injectors(port). When the pins D9 and D10 are connected, the driver is set to peak and hold mode and will control the TBI injector. If D10 is grounded, the driver is set to saturated mode and will control regular port injectors. Going by the diagram you posted is what you need to control the 2.5 TBI setup.

What did I just write?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Let us know how it turns out, the 84 could use a newer ECM
cerulean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

It has to do with the injector driver setup relating to the ground side of the driver.

The injector driver in the 7165 was designed to either control 1 peak/hold injector (tbi) or several saturated injectors(port). When the pins D9 and D10 are connected, the driver is set to peak and hold mode and will control the TBI injector. If D10 is grounded, the driver is set to saturated mode and will control regular port injectors. Going by the diagram you posted is what you need to control the 2.5 TBI setup.

What did I just write?

It sounds like you wrote that I need to jump D9 and D10 together without grounding them to set it to TBI mode. Thanks. I'll try that.

My plan is to use the stock code (ANCZ). I was reading up on the $12P code that you've been using and I read that it doesn't support TBI... I guess that explains why all the $12P wiring diagrams that I looked at have D10 grounded and D9 unconnected.

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Let us know how it turns out, the 84 could use a newer ECM

I cut the ECU connectors off yesterday, so I'm committed now... But it will take a while because I need to add in the MAT sensor. Plus I may also add ECU control of the EGR rather than disabling in the ROM.

Bob

[This message has been edited by cerulean (edited 02-18-2013).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserDirect Link to This Post
I do know that the $12P code will run a TBI system. I am working with a fellow who has an MG-something with the 1.5 4 cyl and a custom TBI unit on the intake. We set it to run in 4 cylinder mode. So far so good. The acceleration enrichment tables as well as a few other settings need adjusted to match up with the larger single injector, but at least it is on the road.
cerulean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

I do know that the $12P code will run a TBI system. I am working with a fellow who has an MG-something with the 1.5 4 cyl and a custom TBI unit on the intake. We set it to run in 4 cylinder mode. So far so good. The acceleration enrichment tables as well as a few other settings need adjusted to match up with the larger single injector, but at least it is on the road.

I must of misread some of the threads on DelcoHacking. I'll take another look.

Thanks,
Bob
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing in delcohacking about TBI using the 12P code. This is a pioneering effort on behalf of myself and another with the "Test Subject". So far things are going well.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock