Radiator Fan by LornesGT
Started on: 02-16-2013 10:40 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: LornesGT on 02-17-2013 10:12 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
My first surprise on my 86GT. I guess I really didn't drive that far on the test drive to see if the radiator fan would run so guess what it doesn't. My understanding of the relay location is in front of the drivers headlight. Well from this thread and this image mine is not the same, I only have 4 wires.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118126.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the 86 service manual, the 4-wire fan relay used in V6 cars with the single speed fan, and 4 cylinder cars with the single speed fan. The 4 cylinder with air conditioning uses the 6-wire relay as pictured. The 4 wire relay has wire colors red, black/pink, brown/white, and dark green/white. BRN/WHT and DK GRN/WHT are the coil side, and RED and BLK/RED are the switch side with the fan motor.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
I have A/C, I should have mentioned that.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Both V6's (AC and not) used the 4-wire relay in 86, just the 4 cylinder with AC (two-speed fan) had the 6-wire relay.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
So with the relay connected and grounding the dark green/ white the fan should come on? Otherwise the relay would be bad if 12v is at the red wire which should be coming from the fuse.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
You need 12V at the red wire and the brn/wht wire for the relay to work. Power at the red wire should be there at all times, but power at the brn/wht wire will only be present with the ignition switch in the RUN position. If the power circuits are good, then when you ground the grn/wht wire, you should get 12V at the black/red wire which should turn on the fan. If the fan still doesn't turn on, then check the fan's ground circuit to be sure it's not broken or corroded. Here's the circuit:

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Bloozberry
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Only 84 w/ AC uses Two speed rad fan.
85 and up uses Single speed setup w/ or w/o AC.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
The fan started so its probably the fan switch or connection issue. On my way out to check it out. I assume the fan switch is contacts and not a resistant type. Thanks bloozberry for the diagram. I will give you a point when I can.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post

LornesGT

1356 posts
Member since Jan 2013
Nothing out of the fan switch, so I could just ground that wire until I get the switch right?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Not sure which "fan switch" you're talking about. If you mean the one on the engine block, then it only completes the ground circuit when the water temperature is above 235 deg F. Even then, it grounds through the threads so if they're corroded or if someone used teflon tape on the threads, there's a good possibility it can't complete the ground path to the engine block. Also, if this is the switch you mean, if you ground it out it will run the fan continuously while the ignition is in run... not sure you want to do that. Perhaps wiring a temporary grounding switch on the dash would be a better idea.

PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
Yes that's the one I am referring to, it's not grounding out so I grounded near the relay ( now runs cold). I did not but will try to ground the wire at the fan switch to verify its not the wire. I did try a resistance reading to ground but never closed. I am usually more thorough than I was today I just wanted to get it on the road for my first long drive.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock