Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Is there any way or reason to lube the throttle cable?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is there any way or reason to lube the throttle cable? by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-09-2013 09:04 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Doober on 02-10-2013 11:52 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Is there any way or reason to lube the throttle cable? Just wondering.

------------------
Jonathan
62K mile '86 GT daily driver
23K mile '85 notchie - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming you have an automatic. Before taking any measures with your throttle cable, try disconnecting the tv cable from the throttle linkage, if the throttle then feels normal and light, then there is nothing you can do about the stiff throttle. The 3 speed auto has a very stiff spring internally. Don't try driving with it disconnected though! It will damage the transmission. If you have a 4 banger with an auto, there is a linkage pivot, that could get some grease... I'm willing to bet your cable is fine.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
You hit the nail on the head. It feels like a stiff spring. I'll do the disconnect test tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jonathan
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
I tried to lube mine.... but it did not work
I almost crashed the car because the throttle cable got stuck,
I ended up putting the car on neutral and manually move the throttle back.

After I replace the cable I did not have that happen again.

Be carefull
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend - since Fieros are so old anyway - that you simply replace it. A large factor in why the cable wears out is the heat back there, and it pushing and pulling inside the cable. Either the cable shroud has changed shape a bit or/and the wire weaving inside is becoming undone.

The Fiero Store offers stock replacements, and they're actually one of the better products that they sell. They're $50 each, but worth it. They're the exact length and build of the stock cable, and the supplier for them now wraps them in a head shield similar to whats on the shifter cables. It's a well thought out product.

Replacing it on the other hand isn't the most fun. You'd have to remove all of the center console, unhook it from the pedal, and run it up and through the back of the car. What I did was get some colored string to identify where the cable was going as I pulled it. When I got it out the other end, I then was just able to pull it back through from the footwell and it followed the path back down to the pedal. Then it's just reattaching at the pedal and at the throttle linkage. It took about a good hour or so worth of work.

After replacing it the throttle worked silky smooth.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 02-10-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Google "motorcycle cable lubber" these work good on shorter cables and will work on longer cables it you have easy access to both ends of the cable and some patience. You can use motorcycle chain lube, assoil white grease or what ever. I have used PB blaster to clean out the cable first and then lube it.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Use brake cleaner ,hold cable up & squirt brake cleaner directly into the cable,,make a funnel, use a rubber band to hold your funnel to the cable, you want your fluid to flow all the way to the pedal
spray a little brake cleaner in the pedal cable end also..
follow direction in Fiero manual & ajust T.V. cable,,its easy to do
you can jack the car up to assist fluid flow
check wire closely for frayed wire or bend at both ends
a small amount of liquid wrench or PB blaster will be OK
most bike cables the liquid will flow down ward,bike cables are lubed much more frequently than a fiero cable,,, fluid build up at
any bend will eventually collect dirt
try the brake cleaner before you replace

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 02-10-2013).]

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
If there is any sort of burr in the cable it needs to be replaced!
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberDirect Link to This Post
Mine was extremely stiff, and would actually make the arch muscle in my foot sore the first couple weeks I owned it (5-speed). One day I finally took a can of white grease, disconnected it from the throttle body and went to work... sprayed a little bit on/down the cable best I could with the included straw, and just kept working the cable back & forth right there by hand. Eventually it started to move a little more freely, and after a week or two of lubing it it starting moving surprisingly smooth, and has ever since (about a year now).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock