Found proper radiator cap at Napa by urbex
Started on: 12-10-2012 12:27 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: urbex on 12-12-2012 10:08 AM
urbex

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post
After much searching, several wrong vented caps from the various chain auto parts stores,(and spending several hours in parking lots waiting for the car to cool off enough to put more water in the cooling system :P), I found a local source for the proper non vented radiator cap at Napa. I didn't find this in the numerous threads in searches, although it wouldn't be the first time I've missed it somewhere.

Part number 703-1698, 16lb non vented cap, boxed (as opposed to the shrink pack hanging package). This is actually listed on Stant's website as an equivalent cap to the 10230 (with the 11230 being the same cap, only in the hanging card packaging instead).

I previously had a Murray/Motorad 7616 cap from Oreilly's on the car, which is listed as a "16lb standard" cap, and has "16V" stamped into the cap. Worked fine around town, although I did notice that it didn't seem to hold a steady temp....would cycle between a little below to a little above the 1/4 mark on the guage, back and forth. But a longer freeway trip, like the few I took to the other side of the valley, about 30 mins at 65-70mph resulted in the temp gauge seeming normal on the freeway, but as soon as I stopped at the end of an exit ramp, the gauge very quickly went to the 1/2 way mark, but came back down just as quickly once I got moving again. Both trips were equal - approx 5 mins of surface streets after the freeway, then the car getting well past the 1/2 mark within a couple minutes of slowly cruising through a parking lot, followed by coolant overflows from the recovery bottle. Once the car cooled down, I'd be about a gallon low on coolant.

I also noticed that the cap spun on and off the radiator (radiator new a couple months ago) fairly easily. Didn't really take a notice to it until today when I installed the Napa cap, that took a bit more effort to get it past the first "notch" so to speak. I haven't driven the car yet with this cap, but given that Stant lists it on their site, I'm confident that I finally have the right cap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I hope you fill and burp the coolant system properly (for a Fiero). This of course entails filling up the system using the thermostat cap opening. Proper filling procedure can be found easily enough here if you don't know it.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I hope you fill and burp the coolant system properly (for a Fiero). This of course entails filling up the system using the thermostat cap opening. Proper filling procedure can be found easily enough here if you don't know it.

Wait...so I'm not supposed to assume that I know better than the guys who designed and built the car, thus ignorning that label on the decklid that says the car has a special coolant fill procedure?!?!?!? :P
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
You DO know better! Those guys are all disgraced and have become consultants at Kia....or was it Chery?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-10-2012).]

urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post
Quickie update - Ran the car down the freeway last night, approx 35 miles each way, at 75-80mph the whole way. Gas mileage SUCKED (guess I should have gotten a car with a 5 speed instead of the automatic, lol), but not a lick of problems from the cooling system

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock