mystery coolant leak by thedude557
Started on: 12-04-2012 09:16 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: thedude557 on 04-19-2013 07:43 PM
thedude557

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Direct Link to This Post
So here's the symptoms....

Heard a loud "pop" while backing out a other day(almost like a weak gunshot), then mysteriously I ran out off coolant during a short drive to work...almost overheated. I was full as I had just checked the levels not long before. I added more coolant, burped it, and made sure all levels were good. Let the car idle for about 15-20 minutes in the driveway with no issues. Took her for about a 10 minute spin around the block and brought it home. When I checked the levels again the reservoir dropped about an inch worth of coolant. There are no leaks in the driveway, oil seems clean and remains at the same levels so I don't think it's getting into the engine in a bad way. From things I've read I'm thinking an expansion/core/freeze plug popped and causing the leak while the system is under pressure. Just wanted more thoughts and feedback. Oh, and it's a stock 2.8 in an 88 GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Are there any leaks on the passenger side carpet?
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I had similar symptoms although leakage not as bad or rapid. Was a dead radiator, seal failed along one end, only leaked under pressure when the temp got up there like when driving. When still, never got hot enough to really leak that I could see it.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Are there any leaks on the passenger side carpet?

Negative. I've looked inside and out and don't see anything. The engine bay is too dirty for me to tell if anything is new, but nothing in the driveway. I'll also mention that since I have had this issue I have let the car idle a few other times in the driveway and not only do I not see a leak but the reservoir doesn't drop any.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Does your radiator fan still come on when the engine gets hot?
Might have popped a fuseable link or something.
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Does your radiator fan still come on when the engine gets hot?
Might have popped a fuseable link or something.

Funny you ask that. While troubleshooting the system I found that my fan relay was bad. Replaced it though and tested, it does come on when the engine temp goes up.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
If you can't find it and keep loosing coolant, add some dye. After the addition of dye, if you're still loosing coolant but can't find the leak, wash the car, that way if the leak is from the radiator the dye will be washed out, that's how I found mine, otherwise you will need to pull the fan shroud to check the seams. My radiator was leaking for more than a year before I finally discovered it, never left anything on the ground that I could see after shutting it down.
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Direct Link to This Post
So after months of being in storage I finally finished with my interior work I wanted to do. Figured I'd check on my coolant problem again. I got the car running for the first time since December and let it run for about 15 minutes. Turned it off, checked my coolant level and saw it has dropped a little, but not much. Figured I should check my oil again and found the dipstick had a light brown color to the oil. Even though this wasn't the case when I put it in storage. I figure it must have been a somewhat slow process and only now is it finally noticeable. So sounds like a head gasket right? How costly is that repair?
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
Likely a lower intake gasket failure if it is still running good. That is not a tough fix. Larry
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Likely a lower intake gasket failure if it is still running good. That is not a tough fix. Larry

Yeah, been researching since I posted and that seems to be a common theme. And yeah, she runs fine otherwise. Guess I'll be learning some new skills soon. Bums me out too, was so excited to get her back on the road.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock