Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  F23 Clutch and Htob spacer question (measuring)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

F23 Clutch and Htob spacer question (measuring) by spartan_chaz
Started on: 12-03-2012 06:19 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: spartan_chaz on 12-16-2012 02:39 PM
spartan_chaz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post
Ok so im not able to get my 3800SC done soon so im taking the chance to go ahead and get and F23 onto it and in the car as well, since i can get an F23 for around $130 here. So my question is what do i measure to see if i need to get a spacer so that i dont over extend the HTOB? I plan on getting a spec stage 3 clutch for the fiero 5spd unless someone has a better suggestion?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Can you show self control to keep from trying to push the pedal Into the front compartment? If so, you might not need one. I never ran one, years later and probably more miles than anyone else so far, never overextended a bearing. Spec 3 with high clamp pp and .840 flywheel.
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Can you show self control to keep from trying to push the pedal Into the front compartment? If so, you might not need one. I never ran one, years later and probably more miles than anyone else so far, never overextended a bearing. Spec 3 with high clamp pp and .840 flywheel.

Im sure i could. Honestly the first week or two after i get it in ill probably have some fun with it. But, im usually not a crazy or aggressive driver and this will be my DD. I have considered staying with my stock 86GT 4spd but dont know how well it will hold up. I guess i could just use a block of wood as a peddle stop. Maby make it just big enough so that i can get full disengagement from the clutch but enough so i cant get the peddle all the way to the floor. Think id be ok with that?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
yeap, doesn't take much to disengage.
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post
ok think i may go that rout. Also i plan down the road to put on an intercooler, drop pully size to match, and maby a couple more mods. Is the spec 3 ok to hold all that? And you say you have a high clamp PP whats the difference between that and the PP thats comes with the spec 3 clutch kit?
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I put a pedal stop in mine just in case. Still tons of travel. The HTOB is so much nicer than the garbage that came with the fiero.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I put a pedal stop in mine just in case. Still tons of travel. The HTOB is so much nicer than the garbage that came with the fiero.

OK awesome think I'm gonna do that then. Just need to decide which clutch I'm going to use and decide how much I want to spend on one lol
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post
so does anyone have a confirmed clutch that will work and not hit the bellhousing? I was reading up on it and i think i was seeing the sec 3+ was good? And i also heard stuff about the cavilier clucth possibly working? Can anyone shed some light on it? Also where is the best place to get the HTOB adapter for the lines?
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Do your self a favour and instal the HTOB spacer they are only $40 from SPEC and that way you are guaranteed it will work. Consider what happens if you do put the clutch to the floor or some one else drives your car and does it is then a lot of work to replace the HTOB and they are not cheap cost wise. Dan
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spartan_chaz:

so does anyone have a confirmed clutch that will work and not hit the bellhousing? I was reading up on it and i think i was seeing the sec 3+ was good? And i also heard stuff about the cavilier clucth possibly working? Can anyone shed some light on it? Also where is the best place to get the HTOB adapter for the lines?

Call who ever you buy the clutch from and tell them you want the pressure plate that is bell shape from a side view without the wings at the top by the fingers.
Call Roger for the HTOB hydraulic adapter. http://www.noidearecords.com/thelinsells/kits.html

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Do your self a favour and instal the HTOB spacer they are only $40 from SPEC and that way you are guaranteed it will work. Consider what happens if you do put the clutch to the floor or some one else drives your car and does it is then a lot of work to replace the HTOB and they are not cheap cost wise. Dan

Ok well then how do i measure to see how big of one i need? And my FW is .820 is there a clutch that you all would be able to say "yes it will be fine and not hit the case of trans"? The engine will be going into my DD so i need to keep downtime to a minimum...
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
3+ with high clamp pressure plate will work. In your case get the htob cap.
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

3+ with high clamp pressure plate will work. In your case get the htob cap.

Ok when you say high clamp pressure plate what do you guys mean? and as for the spcer is there a set size or how do i measure for it?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock