Clutch stop disengaging by race9887
Started on: 11-22-2012 06:11 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: race9887 on 12-02-2012 08:01 PM
race9887

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Couple of weeks ago my clutch stopped disengaging (85 4cyl 5 speed Isuzu) found it was a bad master, replaced it bled and all was fine. Last night it stopped working again. Slave seems to have lots of movement. Lost on what to look for, any ideas on what is going on would be great.

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 Coupe, parts car 86 SE(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121858.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by race9887:

Slave seems to have lots of movement.

How much is "lots"?

I believe it needs to move about 1 1/4".
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
it moves close to 1.5"

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 Coupe, parts car 86 SE(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

it moves close to 1.5"

That should be plenty.

Are you able to easily row the shifter through the gears with the engine not running?
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Yes the gears work fine when not running & if I push in the clutch and try to start the car moves.

------------------
Our projects

ZaraSpOOk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkDirect Link to This Post
take a look at the picture of my clutch in this thread:
bad clutch
you may need a new clutch, mine would not shift into 1st or reverse with engine running
if I tried to start with it in gear, the car would move

[This message has been edited by ZaraSpOOk (edited 11-22-2012).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yes the gears work fine when not running & if I push in the clutch and try to start the car moves.

Well, if you're actually getting 1.5" of travel at the slave, I'm afraid you might have some sort of mechanical problem (other than hydraulic) such as ZaraSpOOk provided an example of.
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero is an automatic, so not sure about this, but when I had my 931 the master cylinder for the clutch went failed and sent crap down the line that destroyed the slave cylinder. When I took out the slave I could see all kinds of little bits of crud and gasket from the master that had worked it's way down there.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest that you measure the travel of the slave cylinder push rod again. I think you will find it is moving less than 1"
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildDirect Link to This Post
I had a clutch fork failure of this type. the fork fatigued (It didn't seem like a very strong design in the first place). I welded new steel into it to make it very robust.

I had to remove the engine/tranny obviously.

If you get rid of the slave and push the cup by hand does it feel springy (IE is the pressure plate there and ok)?

Chay
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the help, I am in the middle of a Saskatchewan snow storm -21 C with the wind feels like -30 C and no garage, going to be nicer next week. Look into it then and keep you guys posted.

------------------
Our projects

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the help, I am in the middle of a Saskatchewan snow storm -21 C with the wind feels like -30 C and no garage, going to be nicer next week June. Look into it then and keep you guys posted.

Okay, gotcha!
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Got warmer (-12 C) and got a chance to look at a few things. The clutch fork lever is pushed almost to the bellhousing. I thought that all the fork levers had a notch machined in them to keep the lever from slipping

But it does not appear that this tranny is like that, I am thinking that the lever just slipped on the shaft.
Look into it better on the weekend my Mechanic (Dad) is working nights till Saturday and won't be any help till then.

------------------
Our projects

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If the pinch bolt that fits through the notch came out, the release arm could possibly slip. Check the release arm to see if the bolt's still there.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

What goes in the groove to the right of the arrow in the image?
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
The bolt is still there, looks like it goes to the outside of the shaft.
No idea Patrick what that groove is for, just took the pic.of the net cant find anything on how the isuzu is set up.
------------------
Our projects

[This message has been edited by race9887 (edited 11-27-2012).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
That's where the release lever pinch bolt passes through. In this picture borrowed from BuddyCraigg, you can see it on the bottom of the release lever about midway up the left side of the transmission. This is a Getrag, but all Fiero manual transmissions are arranged this way. The release lever is mounted onto that end of the shaft.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-27-2012).]

race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
I have seen both the 4speed and 5 speed Getrag and this is not quite the same set up. The lever looks to be made from flat bar formed to the correct shape. I will see if I can get a good photo in the morning.

------------------
Our projects

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Yes, some of the release arms were made of stamped steel and others were forged or cast. The Fiero Store has one of solid steel, but they are all interchangeable.
http://fierostore.com/Produ...spx?s=64300&d=85&p=1

The forks of the 3 manual transmissions are also different. Designed to hold the transmission specific throwout bearing. The one you show in your pic appears to have a smooth end. Every one I've seen were splined on the end to assist the pinch bolt in holding the arm in place.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkDirect Link to This Post
it may be your throw out bearing is bad

or you could have the problem I have, the input (or is it output) bearing to the tranny has a flange on it that holds the TOB, mine broke off (seperated form the bearing) and was preventing the clutch arm from fully moving! it caused my TOB to break off one of its ears. Those of you reading my thread (THIS ONE may be interested to know it wasn't the clutch that was bad (although a couple springs were eventually braoken) nor even the Throw Out Bearing, it was the #@%* sleeve on the input of the tranny that caused my failure!!!
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Well it was the lever slipping on the fork shaft, the splines are worn and there is no notch for the pinch bolt to pass through. We tightened up but that didn't work so out can the welder and now all works. Hope I get my 3800SC into my 86 SE before I have to remove it.

------------------
Our projects

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock