Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  whats normal start up gor a 2.5 ? mine takes a while to fire up.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

whats normal start up gor a 2.5 ? mine takes a while to fire up. by TejasFiero
Started on: 11-14-2012 02:54 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: theogre on 11-17-2012 12:56 PM
TejasFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroDirect Link to This Post
My 88 duke has to turn a few times before it actually fires up. I changed the fuel pump and all ignition parts are new. Didn't change relay yet. Does anyone have a sound byte of a proper running duke starting?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Mine takes several revolutions to fire up as well, but it always fires up.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
can you provide an audio clip of yours? It doesn't sound like anything is out of the norm, based on your description.

A stuck fuel pump relay will cause excessive cranking.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

It takes about two seconds (hot or cold) for my '84 to start. Very reliable.
puddlejumper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperDirect Link to This Post
My duke takes a long time cranking to start.
Now I run the starter for about 1 second then run it again. It fires up within 1 second the second time. every time.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
I just bought an 88 Duke. It was dead in storage for 15 years. Check out my sig. I had amultitude of
problems. 1 was the multi crank.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Damn phone double post.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 11-14-2012).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is the first startup from this morning. I am sure the eagle eyes will notice the V6 interior and say it isn't a 4cyl, but this car is a GT clone with the 2.5/125C.

If it takes an excessive amount of time to crank before starting, you should install a fuel pressure gauge to see how quickly the pressure bleeds off (fuel pump check valve, fuel pressure regulator issue, or split coupler hose in the tank).

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-15-2012).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
DIS dukes take a bit longer to start. It's how DIS operates. DIS needs to read "Start notch" on crank wheel before you get a spark. Sometime takes longer to read that.

You can contact Wells and ask if duke module uses "Fast Start Circuitry" (Wells makes AZ units but not sure it same as Wells design.)
(Video)

Check starter, battery and cables to make sure they are very good... One iffy cable or connection can slow the starter a lot.
Crappy cables and grounds will cause low-voltage problems for the ECM and DIS brick during startup.

Recently I replace my starter (Dead solenoid)... New starter is much faster and spins are Higher RPM. Old design too. (You've got love AutoZone lifetime warranty. 10+ year and starter is bad? No problem.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

TejasFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroDirect Link to This Post
That's about how long it takes to start my car. Guess its normal
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2012 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is the first startup from this morning. I am sure the eagle eyes will notice the V6 interior and say it isn't a 4cyl, but this car is a GT clone with the 2.5/125C.

If it takes an excessive amount of time to crank before starting, you should install a fuel pressure gauge to see how quickly the pressure bleeds off (fuel pump check valve, fuel pressure regulator issue, or split coupler hose in the tank).

Thats exactly how mine stars up now that its fixed.
PFF
System Bot
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeDirect Link to This Post
fuel pump relay? If that isn't working, then the oil pressure has to reach a certain level for the fuel pump to kick on.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Video above is start time is within 2 seconds. 1-2 sec is good. And this using a "slow" starter and likely nothing much if any wrong.

1. DIS is a bit slow to start compare to HEI.

I've checked everything else and even using Wells, "The DR144 does have fast start circuitry." from Wells' CSR, and still a bit slower. (87 duke engine)

You can try bump the key to start, wait a 1 sec, hit starter again. Usually faster then one long crank.

You have slow starter then the "problem" is worse. I replace starter in 9/12 is so much better and spins faster then old one. 1-2 sec start times at max w/ engine cold.

2. V6 and Old L4 uses HEI.
Slow starter can cause this too.
iffy FP relay, FP, Regulator, etc, won't help...

3. Anything causing a low volt condition when starting will cause problems for Starter, FP, ECM, ICM/PIM and Coil(s).
Car may look fine running but starter using 1.5kw or ~120 Amp w/ full charge battery, cold starter, and no iffy cables. Amp # will go up when Volts are low for any reason.
Just One loose/corroded connector is a big problem.
See my Cave, Electric Motors

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock