3.4 rebuild question by tgmchuck
Started on: 11-08-2012 08:51 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-11-2012 01:35 PM
tgmchuck

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgmchuckSend a Private Message to tgmchuckDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here is the situation. I have an 88 v6 and a 3.4 from a 95 camaro that I pulled from a pull a part that I am getting ready to rebuild to swap in. Straight forward enough.

The question:
The fiero store sells a v6 rebuild kit, and I know that many of the gaskets and bits from the 2.8 can swap over to the 3.4. The rebuild kit has rings and pistons and all but I don't know enough of the internals of the engine to know if these are worth getting the rebuild kit or if I would be better off just getting the seals and gaskets as I need them?

Thanks for any info!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The bore is different so the pistons and rings in the rebuild kit will be useless in the 3.4. You will probably need to have your crankshaft turned or replaced, so the rod and main bearings would also be useless.

When I swapped in my 3.4, I bought a crankshaft kit which comes with bearings for under $200 exchange. Cam bearings were very cheap. You might want to consider installing the larger surface small block Chevy cam bearings. If the cylinders are within spec, hone them and put in new rings and you can probably do it for about the same as the listed V6 kit. I think my total cost for gaskets was about $125.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, you'd be wasting your money on a full 2.8 V6 rebuild kit. Instead, just get a 2.8 V6 gasket set. Then buy the appropriate bearings and rings for the 3.4 V6.

And as mentioned above, the SBC V8 camshaft bearings can be used. Just make sure the machine shop knows to 'clock' the bearings correctly.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If you decide to go with the SBC bearings, here's Hudini's write-up on How To.

http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=600.0
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I don't think many of the 2.8 gaskets will work on a 3.4 . head gaskets won't . Don't try to "cheap out" on gaskets, buy the best you can find. (even felpro is now made in China)
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I don't think many of the 2.8 gaskets will work on a 3.4 . head gaskets won't . Don't try to "cheap out" on gaskets, buy the best you can find. (even felpro is now made in China)

Ahhh, gee's...don't tell me fel-pro is made in China...

When is this ever going to end. These companies are just listening to the bean counters.
We want quality, not crap. Bring back jobs to America...this is what we need.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
This is the FelPro gaskets you will need for the 3.4. They are all for the 2.8 engine and will fit the 3.4. Only extra you will need is the Head Gaskets for the 3.4.

I just checked the manufacture of all of these and everything was made in the US except for the cork valve cover gaskets which came from Portugal. Understandable since Portugal is the major producer of cork. Anyway, you don't use those gaskets.

TCS 45828 Timing Cover Set includes Water Pump Gasket.

MS 93045 Exhaust Manifold Set

VS 50077 R Valve Cover Set--Cork Valve Cover Gaskets also comes in the Intake Manifold Set.

MS 93020 Intake Manifold Set, includes lower, intermediate and upper gaskets.

OS 34501 R Oil Pan Set

BS 40625 Rear Main Bearing Seal

Here's a helpful link on the 2.8 to 3.4 swap:
http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org/
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Before you spend money to rebuild that 3.4L I would first disassemble it and mic up everything. If the crank journals and bore are within spec then a simple polishing and honing job with new rings, bearings, lifters, gaskets and a check of the head is all you'll need. If the build stays below $1000 then IMO its worth it but if it approaches $2000 then you might re-access your choice of engine. The 3.4L gives about 20 more horsepower than a stock 2.8L.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-11-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock