Fiero to Lambo....."Phil's Folley" by pparker
Started on: 11-07-2012 01:13 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: pparker on 11-14-2012 04:20 PM
pparker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerDirect Link to This Post
Hello, my name is Phil and am posting my first Lambo build. At 67, I have built and restored at least 30 cars over the past 50+ years as a hobby. I recently sold my Factory Five Cobra and wanted a new project. I decided to tackle building a Lambo from scratch which has proven to be by far the most difficult and time-consuming project I have ever taken on.

I bought the Murcie I body, 88 Fiero chassis, a low mileage 95 GTP motor and trans from a forum classified ad and had it shipped from Florida to Maryland for $700.

After more research and reading everything on Mad Mechanics, Pennocks, Kit Central, and others, I decided I wanted all the Pontiac GTP options (HVAC, wiring, radio, heads-up display, etc.) so I purchased a wrecked 04 GTP and completely stripped it, thus my folly began! I will emphasize that I am not attempting to duplicate a Lambo. I am building a car that will be fast, good looking and will have all the creature comforts plus resemble a customized Lambo. In other words, I am building it to suit myself.

The Fiero was almost completely rust free and was semi-stripped when I bought it. I did the Fiero stretch per the B&B Customs web site and many other helpful build libraries recommendations and it worked great. I reinforced the chassis, sides, front, and rear with $350 worth of steel. It is very rigid. I originally planned to run an X frame under the car but didn't think it was necessary. A jack on one corner will lift half the car with absolutely no sign of flex or stress.

Mild engine mods, small pulley, nice stainless headers, and paint. May do more later. A Champion radiator was mounted in front with a big fan. Went with early rebuilt Chevy power steering rack.

I studied the options for mounting the engine and auto trans and decided to go all standard Pontiac. I used both Pontiac mounts and welded in the dog bones. I had to notch the chassis on the right side and extend the flat area for mounting. Then I fabricated a new bracket for the left side and bolted to the cradle. The engine oil pan sits about ΒΌ" above the cradle bottom. Very easy and cheap to do plus with factory mount, I should have no vibrations, etc. Axles are modified Gran Prix on the right and Fiero manual on the left.

To my surprise, the Grand Prix dash fits perfectly in the Fiero, but the HVAC required major cutting and fabrication to fit. The end result will be massive heat and really cold A/C. My wife does not like my seats!

Front and rear suspension has been completely rebuilt to stock 88 Fiero standards with all-poly bushings. Did my first powder coating on the springs and arms. It worked well. My wife would not let me use her oven so I bought a double oven from Craig's List and converted it into a single large oven which works great. It's large enough to bend or melt my Lexan door windows plus coat some pretty big stuff.

Finally have all plumbing and wiring installed. Just received my reprogrammed PCM and am about ready for my first go-cart ride. Have lots of minor electronic problems to solve with the vats, various sensors, etc.

My helpers!

Body work, doors, and glass cutting are next on my list!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
diabloroadster

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!!! At one time mine looked just like that, except mines a Diablo.....
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2012 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
You Sir have some skills. Good luck with the build.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I'm subscribed! The work looks great so far. Don't these body kits usually have substantially wider wheel tracks than stock? What's your plan for widening the track if that's the case?
pparker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerDirect Link to This Post
I was lucky enough to find custom wheels with the correct offset for the rear and one the front, I will need 1 1/2" spacers. No change to the Fiero stock suspension.
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
WOW is all i can say!!!
subscribed and you do some awesome work!
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
Great work, might also check out http://www.lamboclone.com
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard Phil.

Its nice to see that the Merci kit went to somebody who is finishing it !

You can see some of the very beginning of this build here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082616.html

------------------

VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on doing a Diablo 6.0.

Love Lambo Replica's!
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I built a Testarassa kit. I do like the Lambos,but they are an advanced kit, and I knew full well, it was beyond my skill level. Looks like your project is really starting to shape up.Good Luck!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pparker:

Recaro racing seat?

PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Recaro racing seat?

True custom seat. I'm jealous.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Looking good and in my opinion you have made some great decisions that fit your agenda. I assume that the frame reinforcement I see in the door openings will be covered by the Lambo body right?
pparker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerDirect Link to This Post
By the time I get this project done those seats are all I will be able to afford
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pparker:

By the time I get this project done those seats are all I will be able to afford

LOL, no doubt...
At least your not like some others, who buy needless nick-nacks before the body is even installed... Invest your time/money on what really counts at this point in the build
pparker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pparkerSend a Private Message to pparkerDirect Link to This Post
Drats! You are correct....the body sill rests on and will be mounted to the frame reinforcement with rubber gaskets.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock