timing a 2.8 by frmula505
Started on: 11-05-2012 08:05 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: css9450 on 11-07-2012 04:24 PM
frmula505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frmula505Send a Private Message to frmula505Direct Link to This Post
I just replaced the intake gaskets on my 1988 GT (2.8 V6). My Haynes manual is pretty vauge about the prcedure. I timed it by ear, and it is starting and running fine. Would like to time it properly, can some one help me out with the proper procedure.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Warm the engine to operating temperature. Place a jumper wire between pins A and B (grounding the diagnostic terminal) of the ALDL (diagnostic port). Then set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC of cylinder #1. Then see what the timing is on cylinder #4. Set your timing halfway between your readings on #1 and #4. Good to go.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 11-05-2012).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
To time it properly, you'll need a timing light, a short piece of wire, and a wrench to loosen the distributor pinch bolt.

1. get access to the diagnostic connector under the cigarette lighter trim plate, then using the short piece of wire, jump terminals A & B. (do a search if you need more detailed instructions on how to do this);

2. loosen the distributor hold down bolt so that you're able to twist the distributor body by hand with a moderate amount of pressure;

3. clip the timing light to the battery and the #1 spark plug wire;

4. start the engine and aim the light at the timing tab on the front of the timing chain cover and note where the timing mark on the harmonic damper is in relation to the marks on the timing tab;

5. rotate the distributor by hand a little each way until you determine the correct direction to make the timing mark on the harmonic damper line up with the 10 BTDC mark on the tab;

6. repeat for #4 cylinder to get the best average position of the distributor body;

7. shut down the engine;

8. tighten the distributor hold down clamp;

9. unplug the jumper wire from the diagnostic connector;

10. unplug the timing light;

11. have a cold beer.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Buddy Craigg has a nice step-by-step on his many videos on YouTube.

bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Direct Link to This Post
Only question I have on Buddy Craig's first video is he shows the timing tab as having markings of "12-8-6-4". Does it really jump by 4 degrees across the first peak? Does anyone have a good picture of the tab?

Trevor
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Here you go:

frmula505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frmula505Send a Private Message to frmula505Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the help, I know how to time a car, just wasn't sure about the markings location (mine has some insulation drooping over that area). You guys are a great help. These cars are so tight to work on.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Consider placing your timing light on the coil to dist lead wire instead of #1 and then again on #4 to get the average. The coil fires for every cylinder and you will most definitely get the average without having to do it twice.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

7. shut down the engine;

8. tighten the distributor hold down clamp;

LOL Don't do what I did - I restarted the car and took it out for a quick test drive with the distributor hold down bolt loose. By the time I got around the block it was running awful! It was a head-scratcher for a few minutes until I realized it had slipped out of time, probably the very moment I turned the key.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock