3.1 L do not know engine year by Shonyman32
Started on: 10-18-2012 11:46 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Shonyman32 on 10-24-2012 03:05 PM
Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Building a 3.1 L and do not know what year the block is. Any help appreciated.
I need to know because the re-ring kit is different for 92 down and 93 up.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Bump
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post
Pull a piston and measure the rings and lands - only way to tell for sure.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
The engine has been bored and decked and i dont have the stock pistons. I have new pistons that are .030 over.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post

Shonyman32

593 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Could i just buy a fiero re-ring kit?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
buy rings for the pistons, not the car.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
There are a couple of different ring widths used on these things, that is why you need to just measure the pistons you have to figure out what rings fit them. No other difference to worry about. Larry
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
do you have the compleate engine? post pics of the intake, thats a good give away of what the engine was from right there.

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
It is a lot cheaper to buy a re-ring kit with rings, bearings, and gaskets is why i wanna know. All i have of the original engine is the block and crank. That is just how i bought it.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

It is a lot cheaper to buy a re-ring kit with rings, bearings, and gaskets is why i wanna know. All i have of the original engine is the block and crank. That is just how i bought it.

oh, then yea, your gona have to get a mic and take meseaurements on everything to be sure...
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

do you have the compleate engine? post pics of the intake, thats a good give away of what the engine was from right there.

yup.
basicly the 3.1 vs the 3100
PFF
System Bot
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Ordering re-ring kit for 1986 v-6 fiero and the company needs 8th digit off the vin. Is this necessary? Because i do not have the car that the motor came out. All i know is its a 1986 2.8, and that is what I am ordering for. I have all the right bearing sizes and piston ring sizes, but i don't understand why he needs a vin number.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

Ordering re-ring kit for 1986 v-6 fiero and the company needs 8th digit off the vin. Is this necessary? Because i do not have the car that the motor came out. All i know is its a 1986 2.8, and that is what I am ordering for. I have all the right bearing sizes and piston ring sizes, but i don't understand why he needs a vin number.

to verify the engine, 8th didgit is engine
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
2 - AIR CLEANER MOUNTING GSKT
1 - CAMSHAFT COVER GSKT
1 - DISTRIBUTOR MOUNT "O" RING
1 - DISTRIBUTOR MOUNT "O" RING
1 - EGR VALVE GSKT
2 - EGR TRANSFER TUBE GSKT
2 - EXH MANIFOLD GSKT
1 - FUEL PUMP "O" RING
2 - CYL HEAD GSKT
4 - INT MANIFOLD GSKT
4 - INT MANIFOLD PLENUM GSKT
1 - MAIN BEARING "O" RING
2 - OIL FILTER ADAPTOR GSKT
2 - OIL FILTER "O" RING
1 - OIL PAN GSKT
1 - OIL DRAIN PLUG GSKT
1 - OIL PAN END SEAL
1 - OIL PUMP COVER GSKT
1 - REAR MAIN SEAL
1 - OIL PAN END SEAL
1 - THROTTLE BODY GSKT
1 - TIMING COVER GSKT
1 - TIMING COVER SEAL
12 - VALVE STEM SEAL
4 - VALVE COVER GSKT
3 - WATER OUTLET GSKT
2 - WATER PUMP GSKT

These are all the gaskets that come in a gasket set that i am buying, but this is for a generic 2.8. My question is what will not work on the fiero 2.8, or what will i have to buy after buying this kit.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I'm not following, if your pistons are 30 over, why do you want stock size rings?
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post
Geez - pull the fricking engine apart and find out what the hell you have BEFORE ordering any parts.

Why is that concept so hard?
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Alright I apologize for all the choppy information. This is where everything stands now.

I have a 3.1 block getting line bored today. I know the size main bearings i will need.
I put my pistons on the fiero rods the other day and my pistons are .040 over but i always type/say .030 or say 30 thousands. I am getting the corrects size piston rings as well.
I also have the correct size rod bearings.

But Iordering a re ring kit off ebay from titan engines (link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHE...Accessories&vxp=mtr)
But this re ring kit is for a generic 2.8 and not fiero specific. All of the gaskets i put up is what comes with the 2.8 re ring kit. Im wondering what gaskets transfer over to the fiero 2.8. I know it i wont be able to use the intake gasket just don't know about the others.

There is a re ring kit at norther auto for 140 that doesn't come with the valve cover gasket and intake gasket.

That should clear up most of it.

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post

Shonyman32

593 posts
Member since Jan 2012
I have the engine completely apart and i haven't ordered anything yet. I just need to know about the gaskets to know what to order.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock