Need for a 3.8 SC swap! by Halstead87
Started on: 10-10-2012 12:20 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 03-30-2013 07:09 AM
Halstead87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Halstead87Send a Private Message to Halstead87Direct Link to This Post
I looked alot on this forum for what i need. I;m not really sure for what i need. I have a 2.5L 1987. What would i exactly need for the swap, And what would be the cheapest way to get around this. I know its not going to be cheap. Please HELP!!! I looked and looked. I need a exact list so i know! Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Check out the first link below

Everything you need in one complete package at an excellent price

------------------
3.4TDC/4.9l/3800(SC) Swap kits and parts

F23 Transmission Kits

Big Brake Adapters

Polish and Powder Coating

True dual equal length 3800 Headers

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF !

Are you planning the auto trans or manual swap ?

You will need motor mounts for either, A flywheel and clutch set for manual, or axles for auto. The Engine wiring and PCM from the 3800, Build or have one of us build you a wiring harness, a exhaust system, ad most of the rest ismodifying parts or buying parts from the local parts store.

Halstead87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Halstead87Send a Private Message to Halstead87Direct Link to This Post
How much Would a wiring harness be? What other parts would consist at the local auto store? I know a fuel pump would be one. And would a 2.5 Transmission hold up?
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
The same question has been answered a hundred times. Try the search function- there is a lot of useful info there
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Depends a lot on how pretty you want it to be, plan on around $2000 for all the parts for a nice clean swap. The Isuzu 2.5 trans is the weakest trans, but it can last if your not hard on it. I had one in mine for a while, I only changed it because the gearing was wrong for the 3800. I get 350 for a manual harness.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I "Tried" the search undr 3.8sc wiring, nothing ! I know someone here sells a new harness ready to go, but I can't remember who. Please give me a yell. I can now SEE that trying to use the harness out of the car ( the part, AFTER the engine unplugs, Is insanity !)
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxDirect Link to This Post
PM FIEROFLYER he has been a HUGE help in giving information and parts to me. I recommend him 100%.

as for wiring harness specifically he sells them for $400 a pop and it comes with a FREE tuned PCM
edit: check my build thread for more info https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...126759.html#lastpost

[This message has been edited by Flux (edited 03-29-2013).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I "Tried" the search undr 3.8sc wiring, nothing ! I know someone here sells a new harness ready to go, but I can't remember who. Please give me a yell. I can now SEE that trying to use the harness out of the car ( the part, AFTER the engine unplugs, Is insanity !)

Lou,
"3.8sc harness" isn't the motor designation. You need to search for "3800sc harness"
http://www.fierosearch.com/...=DoSearch&datesort=D

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2013 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Basically the more you can do the cheaper it is. You would need of course the engine and tranny that you plan to use, then mounts, accessory brackets and a good dog bone set up. Wiring harness to make the engine/tranny combo work in the Fiero and a programmed PCM. next is things like axle shafts to match your tranny, exhaust system and a good fuel pump that can supply the engines needs. After that there is a lot of small things like fuel lines, heater hoses and rad hoses and basically making every thing look as nice as you want it to.
Now if you can weld you can make all your own mounts, needed brackets and exhaust system. If you can wire you can make your own harness and the rest is just connecting pieces together.
Now if you want the swap done for you there is places that can do it for example I charge $2,500 for all the labour and supply with that every thing but the engine/tranny, fuel pump and exhaust components.
If you want to put every thing together there is many vendors out there with the needed parts or for example I put together a 3800SC swap kit that contains the needed mounts, brackets, harness with matching PCM, for auto swaps I also have the needed axle shafts, shifter brackets and shifter lever to allow the Fiero shifter and cable control the 4T65E tranny.
It is all a matter of what you can and actually do your self to keep the cost down. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock