Another option for 3800 air cleaner by ALJR
Started on: 09-30-2012 04:05 PM
Replies: 0
Last post by: ALJR on 09-30-2012 04:05 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Just finished up modifing my stock air box for use w/ my 3800sc swap. I did quite a bit of searching through the forum to see what ya'all have been using and nothing really caught my fancy... The intake side of the airbox is 3.5" dia; thats as large as you can go because the inside diameter of the air filter is 3.5"

My goal (in no perticular order):
- To provide adequite air flow for a mildly modified 3800sc motor
- Easy to service filter
- Maintain the "cold-air" intake
- To make it look like it belongs

I used 3.5" tubing for the intake side of the airbox and redid the lid hold-down bolt so it wasnt so restrictive like the stock setup; simmilar to what Rodney offers. The outlet side of the airbox had a large enough opening, which is almost exactly the same as a stock 3800sc TB. It was prety simple and only required about 2" of 3.5" dia tubing and some flat-stock to make the new lid hold-down.

That drk gray stuff around the tube is steel putty; I used it to cover all my tack-welds. I didn't want to put a weld bead around it because I didn't want to heat-warp the thin metal.

Top side of the lower mount w/ foam gasket installed

Bottom of airbox opening had to be enlarged

Top and bottom in place

I know this may not be ideal for the high-hp heavily modified swaps out there. But from my measurement, it should get the job dun for my application...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock