Welding 2.8 Exhaust Manifold by labbe001
Started on: 09-28-2012 01:14 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Spoon on 09-30-2012 11:29 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
Trying to find someone that has welded a set of 2.8L Exhaust Manifolds and if so, would you be willing to do mine if i shipped them to you.....i know i could take them to a local place but i'd really like for it to be done by someone that has done it before and has experience.....thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
a good machine shop should be able to handle it. Just bolt them together or ask them to bolt them to something to hold them in place. Or you could have them mill them to be flat, after they weld.

The reason I say this is because a good shop should have a good welder. Or find a welding shop to do it. Just be sure to bolt them to something.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Katatak (all lower case) ported and welded a set for me. I liked the quality and the price was great. He attaches them to an old head when he welds them so they don't warp during the welding.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
A member on this forum did mine, Scott Black. Welded and ported them a couple years ago.

I'll edit this post if I find his screen name.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
Fiero X 3? is this the guy you are talking about? He PM'd me and hopefully we are going to be able to work somthing out.....thank you guys for all of the replys

Originally posted by Spoon:

A member on this forum did mine, Scott Black. Welded and ported them a couple years ago.

I'll edit this post if I find his screen name.

Spoon

sc2m6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sc2m6Send a Private Message to sc2m6Direct Link to This Post
I have welded mine with an old school arc welder from walmart beleave it or not! i used low heat and like it was already said i had it bolted to the head to prevent warpage.
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
when i had a set welded i told the shop to bolt together or to a head, long story short they didn't and the trunk side one was all warped to hell. i couln't even use it. there was about an 1/4" gap when set on a straight edge in the middle. i had to report another one and then had them weld that one and pay to have the other one milled. and this was a shop that worked on fieros and did welding
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudewithoutfiero:
when i had a set welded i told the shop to bolt together or to a head, long story short they didn't and the trunk side one was all warped to hell. i couln't even use it. there was about an 1/4" gap when set on a straight edge in the middle. i had to report another one and then had them weld that one and pay to have the other one milled. and this was a shop that worked on fieros and did welding

I wouldn't have given them a shot at a second one when they didn't use common sense for the first one. There's no excuse for that.

dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
they paid for the new manifold and to have the other one milled. plus i had talked to the owner when i dropped them off. he actually fired the person who did the job as he told him that they had to be bolted to the head to weld. they have done this on all of their fieros that the have sold. They did make it right so i can not fault them i just wish it was done the right way the first time. all together it only cost me 40 dollars to have them do it. they also gave me a y-pipe that had the restriction removed in exchange for my old one.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Prob was not his fault on the warpage, unless you checked them before you gave them to him. I have delt with ALOT of Fiero manifolds and they are ALL warped to some degree. And I really mean ALL of them.

Also make sure they use stainless wire, or they WILL crack again right next to the weld. Manifolds are made out of 409 stainless on the tubes, the ports are not though.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudewithoutfiero:

they paid for the new manifold and to have the other one milled. plus i had talked to the owner when i dropped them off. he actually fired the person who did the job as he told him that they had to be bolted to the head to weld. they have done this on all of their fieros that the have sold. They did make it right so i can not fault them i just wish it was done the right way the first time. all together it only cost me 40 dollars to have them do it. they also gave me a y-pipe that had the restriction removed in exchange for my old one.

Like I said, there's no excuse for it and the actions bear that out. Without using the cylinder head, or some other guide as a template how could he have hoped to weld it up properly. It's good they made it right.

PFF
System Bot
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Prob was not his fault on the warpage, unless you checked them before you gave them to him. I have delt with ALOT of Fiero manifolds and they are ALL warped to some degree. And I really mean ALL of them.

Also make sure they use stainless wire, or they WILL crack again right next to the weld. Manifolds are made out of 409 stainless on the tubes, the ports are not though.

it was his fault the manifolds were nos ones that i had ported myself and did check them at home before bringing them to them. they did use the right wire also. i am not talking about a little warpage either the other one had a little but could be milled the one that was fubared was beyond that. plus was twisted a little too. In the end they did make it right so i can not complain, it just delayed the engine going back in for a day that all.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

Fiero X 3? is this the guy you are talking about? He PM'd me and hopefully we are going to be able to work somthing out.....thank you guys for all of the replys

It could be the same guy. Was from one of the Carolina states.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock