Proper idle speed 88 V6? by Ray_and_kevin
Started on: 09-28-2012 09:07 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Ray_and_kevin on 09-28-2012 03:51 PM
Ray_and_kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinDirect Link to This Post
My idle runs 900 to 1200 depending on engine temp (I think). Putting in neutral (automatic) jumps idle up to 1500-1600 and then slowly drops back to about 900.

So, What is it really supposed to be? Factory shop manual is no help. Looking to build a dash mounted display of ECM data, so diagnosing will be easier, but until I get that round tuit...

BTW, new to the forum. My son Kevin and I share this car. He gets it 6 months to drive while at school and I get it 6 months to keep it running :-)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! 900 is the correct answer for a warm engine.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Both my 88GT and 85Gt idle at 850. The stock prom in my 85 is set for 850.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ray_and_kevin:

My idle runs 900 to 1200 depending on engine temp (I think). Putting in neutral (automatic) jumps idle up to 1500-1600 and then slowly drops back to about 900.

Cold idle of 1200 to 1500 rpm is normal, decreasing as the engine warms up. Per the GM/Helm FSM, hot idle for the '88 V6 should be 950 +/-50 rpm. Factor possible tachometer error and 900 rpm (on the tach) is reasonable. Idle speed is controlled by the ECM and is not field adjustable. DO NOT attempt to adjust idle speed using the throttle stop screw.

On the other hand, the abrupt jump to 1500 rpm when placed in neutral and the slow drop back down are not normal. My '88 V6 w/auto momentarily jumps to ~1100 as the torque converter load is removed but it quickly returns to 950 within a second or two. The first thing I would check is to see that the idle air passages are clean and unobstructed and that the IAC (idle air controller) is clean and working freely,

Looking to build a dash mounted display of ECM data, so diagnosing will be easier ...

For inspiration, see Oliver Scholz's (fieroluke here on PFF) Dash Scan II. I have had one of these installed in my Formula for more than six years and it's still working flawlessly. These were very professionally engineered and constructed (surface-mount components, etc.), but, sadly, Oliver didn't sell enough of these to make the venture worthwhile. (Cheap Fiero owners!) I don't think Oliver even makes them any more due to low sales and limited parts availability.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-28-2012).]

Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the sanity check guys.

I'll post information when I get that dash mounted ECM display done. A young man named Luke did a version for his senior project for his Camaro, but he didn't do the work to make it usable while driving. If you Google Luke and ECM you will find his work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock