Getrag clutch with IZUZU trans by gtxbullet
Started on: 09-21-2012 01:21 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: gtxbullet on 09-28-2012 03:01 PM
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
I am putting my 2.5L and IZUZU back in my 88 coupe until my 3x00 swap.

My 3.4L swap has a brand new clutch that I paid 11good money for, I know previous years could use the same clutch, but I think it's just the 4-speed muncie.

I need a new clutch, my original 88 2.5L clutch is old and I really don't want to buy a whole new clutch set up when I'm putting money nto an engine swap.

I have a New 88 V6 flywheel and Clutch pressureplate/clutch disc from my 3.4L swap, just need to know if they'll work.

------------------
F.I.E.R.O. - Fantastically Imaginative Engineering Racing Object

I'm here to Help, just ask

www.fquick.com/GTXBULLET
Tech/Mechanic (Restorations, Modifications, and Maintenence)
1988 FIERO 3.4L Getrag Base Coupe (the show car ;-) )
1984 INDY Automatic ALL OPTIONS
Size 13 Feet with Cracking Ankles and Tired Knees

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it will work. Of course you want the Isuzu throwout bearing. We just ran into this issue when putting a new clutch in an 85GT with a transplanted Isuzu. We wanted the 9 1/8" clutch from a V6, but had the Isuzu. We first tried one from a 4 speed and found that the pressure plate was too bulky and scraped against the bell-housing (this could have been a function of that brand clutch rather than the fact that it was for a 4 speed). We then tried a Getrag clutch, and it works perfectly.

Edit to add: Just re-read that....the clutch should work...but not the flywheel.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 09-21-2012).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Yes, it will work. Of course you want the Isuzu throwout bearing. We just ran into this issue when putting a new clutch in an 85GT with a transplanted Isuzu. We wanted the 9 1/8" clutch from a V6, but had the Isuzu. We first tried one from a 4 speed and found that the pressure plate was too bulky and scraped against the bell-housing (this could have been a function of that brand clutch rather than the fact that it was for a 4 speed). We then tried a Getrag clutch, and it works perfectly.

Edit to add: Just re-read that....the clutch should work...but not the flywheel.

Great!!! Saves me money.
My original 4 cylinder flywheel is okay... but it looks pretty glazed. I'll see if I can't find a cheap new or resurface one. or see if I can't get my original resurfaced.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
so I just compared my 3.4L's fly wheel to my 2.5L's flywheel. they are the same diameter all the way around. and the V6 one actually weight less.
both are neutrally balanced as well. the width at the very edge before the starter ring teeth is slightly larger on the engine block side on the 2.5L one, but on the transmission side they are both identical...

one big plus I found was the starter ring teeth are slightly wider. this would help to prevent broken teeth (very rare, but still)

I'd like confirmation that I'm right because this would save me another $70.00 for the NAPA (blah) flywheel I just bought...

need to know today as I'm going to be re-installing everything in just a couple hours.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock