Help with Stock Sunfire CD Player (Monsoon) install in Fiero by Bump
Started on: 09-20-2012 03:22 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Bump on 09-20-2012 06:38 PM
Bump

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
So I was at the local "pick-a-part" last week and happened across a Monsoon AM/FM/CD in an 02 sunfire. I have been wanting a factory CD player in my 86 GT so I grabbed it.
There was NO paperwork in the car, so I dont have the unlock codes, but I got the deck for a song and dance, so I'm ok if I have to pay to have it unlocked.

I did some searching in hopes of finding a thread about how to install a stock modern CD player in a fiero with materials list and such, but came up empty.

Questions:
-Will this stereo work?
-Will it be locked?
-How do I get it unlocked?
-What will I need to wire this into my 86 GT?
-Will I need to modify the dash/mounting at all to mount it?
-Am I better off with an aftermarket deck? (Not Desired)

If I can find the info, maybe I will document a thread about the install. Thanks Guys!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bump:

So I was at the local "pick-a-part" last week and happened across a Monsoon AM/FM/CD in an 02 sunfire. I have been wanting a factory CD player in my 86 GT so I grabbed it.
There was NO paperwork in the car, so I dont have the unlock codes, but I got the deck for a song and dance, so I'm ok if I have to pay to have it unlocked.

I did some searching in hopes of finding a thread about how to install a stock modern CD player in a fiero with materials list and such, but came up empty.

Questions:
-Will this stereo work?
-Will it be locked?
-How do I get it unlocked?
-What will I need to wire this into my 86 GT?
-Will I need to modify the dash/mounting at all to mount it?
-Am I better off with an aftermarket deck? (Not Desired)

If I can find the info, maybe I will document a thread about the install. Thanks Guys!

-If it's the UP3 option, yes, have a pic?
-It depends
-https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020511-2-016489.html
-The adapter harness, and the antenna adapter. The antenna adapter is available at most parts stores. The harness is GM part # 16140051, or you can make one using a Fiero-style harness, and a newer GM-style harness.
-It pretty much just sits in the hole, no modifications required
-If you like the look of this one, it can be a good radio. Aftermarket ones will have more features and better sound quality.

If you can't get it to work or unlocked, I have one here somewhere with the adapter harnesses, ready to go and unlocked, $45 + shipping.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Oops forgot the pic

Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post

Bump

450 posts
Member since Mar 2010
Great info... thanks!! Does it help that I cut the wiring harness out of the old sunfire and kept that with the stereo? where do I get the plug n play harness?

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

-If it's the UP3 option, yes, have a pic?
-It depends
-https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020511-2-016489.html
-The adapter harness, and the antenna adapter. The antenna adapter is available at most parts stores. The harness is GM part # 16140051, or you can make one using a Fiero-style harness, and a newer GM-style harness.
-It pretty much just sits in the hole, no modifications required
-If you like the look of this one, it can be a good radio. Aftermarket ones will have more features and better sound quality.

If you can't get it to work or unlocked, I have one here somewhere with the adapter harnesses, ready to go and unlocked, $45 + shipping.

[This message has been edited by Bump (edited 09-20-2012).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
That's not the UP3. Not familiar with that one unfortunately.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15016 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by Bump:

Great info... thanks!! Does it help that I cut the wiring harness out of the old sunfire and kept that with the stereo? where do I get the plug n play harness?

Do you have a pic of the harness that goes into this one? The Fiero adapter harness (that would plug into the Fiero's original harness) looks like this:

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15016 posts
Member since May 2002
Here's what the UP3 looks like, just pulled it out of the box:

imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
you can find most everything you need here: http://replacementradios.com/ Even a video on installing in a Fiero!
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Great! I guess I was mostly looking for confirmation that I can make this one work. I had not seen this type of Monsoon Stereo before and I also read in searching that 2002+ sunfre radios will not work.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post

Bump

450 posts
Member since Mar 2010
CRAP!

http://replacementradios.co...209&products_id=1207

"Since this is computer-integrated, it will not work in any older Pontiac applications. It also does not work in any Pontiac models that are not listed (Bonneville, for instance.)"
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Well that sucks, could always try selling it to get back part of what you put into it or break even?
PFF
System Bot
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Fortunately I got it for nearly nothing. because I was buying a bunch of other parts for my truck at the same time.

Off to the mall and Flea Bay!

Thanks again guys!
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post

Bump

450 posts
Member since Mar 2010

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock