Gen V swap questions by fierogt27
Started on: 09-14-2012 01:56 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: fierogt27 on 09-18-2012 12:59 AM
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
Hello, im doing a Gen V swap on my L67 that I have a couple questions about.

First, Im doing a northstar throttle body on it, and I dont have a vacuum port on my adapter plate. So without putting the stock vacuum plate back on it, what would be a good way to get vacuum to the brake booster?

Second question could be related to the first, pardon my lack of knowing the names of parts, but I have the vacuum tube on the supercharger blocked off, and well as both the ports on top, and the port on the side of the sc next to the vacuum tube, which I believe is the evap. Is that alright?

So to sum it up, Im wondering how to bet boost to the brakes and if the way I have it set up is correct. Thanks for all of yalls help

Here is what I have so far.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
My guess is to remove the vacumm blockoff on the SC. that is where mine is getting vacuum for the brake booster. the fuel pres. regulator and the maps sensor are getting vacuum off a "T" in the lower intake manifold just under the TB.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post

Purple86GT

1592 posts
Member since Mar 2012
Also, swap your valve covers! :P
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The vacuum for the brake booster is taken off of the reversible plastic black fitting on top of the supercharger not at the throttle body.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
I know thats where it it suppose to get vacuum from, but I want a clean appearance, so I blocked both of those off. where I had my gen 3 I had the vacuum on the tb, but on the northstar there is nowhere to hook it up to. I was thinking about putting it on the vacuum tube, but not sure if that would work.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
What vacuum tube?? Not the PCV on the Gen V right? That won't work!

This tube is for the PCV to breath in filtered air.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
You can drill and tap the side of the Gen V/Northstar adapter plate, and place a vacuum nipple there. Only problem with that, is that you'll be limited in how large a vacuum fitting you can attach by how thick the adapter plate is, or by the design of the plate itself. Perhaps you can make your own adaptor that is extra thick? Either way, between the TB, and the SC is an ideal place to pull brake vacuum from. You need something with at LEAST 3/8" I.D. to recieve enough vacuum flow to operate the brake booster. Any smaller, you run an elevated risk of running out of boost in repeated braking.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt27:

I know thats where it it suppose to get vacuum from, but I want a clean appearance, so I blocked both of those off. where I had my gen 3 I had the vacuum on the tb, but on the northstar there is nowhere to hook it up to. I was thinking about putting it on the vacuum tube, but not sure if that would work.

The N* TB adapter that I have made by Brian Teel has a 1/4" NPT pipe plug on the side. Does yours have the pipe plug? If so it would be a simple matter of installing a hose fitting.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
Neither my tb nor adapter plate have a pipe in them. I also have my pvc blocked off from the advice I recieved. I was told if I run a breather I would be alight. If I was to make my pvc functional, I would have to drill into the tb adapter plate, but how would I install the pipe? I dont have any welding capabilities. To make things more simple, I may go ahead and and install a vacuum tree for the brake booster. If I install the vacuum tree, could I run the pvc and brake booster off the vacuum tree so I wouldnt have to drill the adapter plate?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt27:

I also have my pvc blocked off from the advice I received. I was told if I run a breather I would be alight?

Who ever told you to block off the PVC valve is giving out poor advice. The function of a PCV valve is to control the flow of crankcase gases. The engine is designed and the engine management calibrated to work with a PCV valve. Without the PCV you can get excessive crankcase pressure which blows oil out the breathers. Excessive crankcase pressure increases resistance on the piston traveling downward and may unseat the rings, costing you power. Without a PVC function you also stand a chance of 1. blowing engine oil seals. 2. increasing blow by deposits and if the PCV flow is eliminated it will effect the MAF readings resulting in poor mileage. Eliminating the PCV valve will cause the buildup of exhaust gases and moisture in the engine; sludge deposits in the engine can occur as a side effect. These deposits will increase the mechanical resistance inside the engine, reducing engine efficiency and increasing fuel consumption.
My advise is to keep the fresh air flowing through the crankcase with the PCV valve. It helps, not harms the engine. You can use a breather on one of the valve covers to allow fresh air in.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Slow your roll there a bit Dennis... He was merely saying someone suggested he block all of the fresh air feeds and run a breather... while it is a pretty crap way of doing it and usually using the stock draws are easier.. it is generally accepted as a perfectly fine practice.

OP, you can run the fresh air tube to any spot in the intake tube in reality.. although anywhere between the throttle blade and the maf sensor is considered ideal.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 09-14-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
should I just drill a 3/8 hole into the pipe between the tb and maf and put a snout in and run a short hose in between that and the PVC? If I do, how should I put the snout in, what would be an good way to install it without welding?

[This message has been edited by fierogt27 (edited 09-14-2012).]

fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
Bump
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I have to do a Gev V swap on a car soon and will have to deal with this same issue. I will probally tap the EGR hole in the LIM to run off it. This is the method I use on my Gen 3 swapped car. If I dont go that route I will drill/tap either the TB adapter plate of the neck on the GenV right after the TB.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a GEN V and I'm using the stock vacuum port. Just rotate teh outlet to face backwards and install your brake booster there. Looks clean to me.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
I now have a functioning PVC and brake booster, I'll post pictures of it tonight
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Here is how it looks with the brake booster connection reversed and on top.

I don't think that it looks terrible. Certainly not the cleanest install overall but it looks decent to me.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Here is how it looks with the brake booster connection reversed and on top.

I don't think that it looks terrible. Certainly not the cleanest install overall but it looks decent to me.

The wiring is what kills that swap,,,,,,Over then that not a bad looking swap....
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
Dennis, I'm confused, you were saying I needed to run a PVC but I dont see one on your swap. I'm not trying to call you out, but just confused. I would rather not run one cause of the cleaner appearance without it
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post

fierogt27

836 posts
Member since Jan 2011
And here is what i have so far

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock