Cheap P-Seals For Your T-Top? by canfirst
Started on: 09-10-2012 02:46 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: canfirst on 11-11-2012 09:29 PM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
After removing and reinstalling my T-Tops at a car show this weekend, my P-Seals finally wore through exposing the orange cord on each side of the glass T-tops.

While searching for OEM P-Seals, I discovered the following article that may be of interest to PFF members:
http://www.gafiero.org/p_seals.shtml
I don't know if it's been posted previously, but thought it would be worthwhile bringing it to the attention of other T-Top owners.

I just ordered some self-adhesive flexible black rubber moulding in a quarter-round profile that should provide a proper permanent seal as well as a nice factory-finish appearance. I will follow-up with the results after the installation (wish me luck).

This is the moulding that I ordered off eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350...29&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
how soft are they?

Mustange (80s) T-top p-seals can be adapted to fit quickly.
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
jaskispyder can you post a link or photo of the Mustang P-seal your referring to?

I received a 6" sample of the rubber moulding previously and while it is flexible and bends easily, the material is relatively solid and will compress slightly when pressing a fingernail into it, but then expands back to its normal shape after a short period of time. Hopefully the material will compress sufficiently to install the T-tops and then expand back to provide a snug dust and watertight fit against the edge of the glass T-tops.

I will only remove the felt-type material and orange cording from the existing P-seals, leaving the front and rear metal (aluminum?) backing strips in place, and then install the new self-adhesive rubber moulding over the existing metal backing strips.

I will also use this new rubber moulding to cover the bottom edge of the front window pillars as it seems the normal black metal trim on the window pillars was removed when the T-top conversion was done. I'm not sure if this was standard practice on all C & C T-top conversions. If anyone has the metal window pillar trim remaining in place on their T-top Fiero, please let me know. Thanks!
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Bump - waiting for response from jaskispyder. Thanks!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
sorry, I don't have the info handy. Take a crack at using the search and see what you find. P-seal Mustang
curyan910

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for curyan910Send a Private Message to curyan910Direct Link to This Post
Did you try the rounded rubber that you found? Any luck with it fitting/ looking good?
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I used EDPM rubber weatherstrip. It's like a 'D" channel. I took the old P-seal to ACe hardware and found something that kinda matched. I'm posting a link to ACE showing soemthing similar. I don't have the measurements handy, so this is probably not the saem size I used : http://www.acehardware.com/...8453.2626341.2627446
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had time yet to install the rounded rubber seal that I purchased on eBay, but I found the following link for a Mustang T-Top replacement seal, if anyone is interested in a closer type match to the Fiero P-seal.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/...d-1981-1988/p/WSTT8/

P.S., this website also shows the Mustang replacement weatherstripping/seal that goes under the T-Top glass and down the A & B pillars around the drivers and passengers windows.

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 11-11-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock