Powder coating by NetCam
Started on: 08-29-2012 12:16 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: NetCam on 09-08-2012 11:05 AM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a few posts here where folks have powder coated various parts (Dog bone, cooling tubes etc.). I am thinking of getting into really cleaning up the engine compartment over winter and wondered about doing some home powder coating. How difficult is it, and is this kit good enough for that type of application?

http://www.eastwood.com/dua...RCCODE%3D1EM1206%26e m%3D%25%25email%25%25&utm_content=Save+on+TOP+10+Customer+Favorites+-+EXPIRES+SOON%21&utm_campaign=1EM1206+8%2F28%2F12+Top+Ten+Rated+Products

I know absolutely nothing about the process, but always willing to learn something new
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just need an oven that will heat up to 400-450F large enough to hold the parts suspended so as not to touch anything.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post
If I can do it, then anyone can

Took some parts to a friends house, sand blasted, powder coated, & installed. Like anything else, be patience, take your time, & it'll come out great.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Whats it SMELL Like while it's "Cooking" ?
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Whats it SMELL Like while it's "Cooking" ?

It smells like mmm mmmm car part goodness ... it all depends on the part and different powders. I have my oven in my garage so it doesn't smell up my house....

Your not going to wana use your inside kitchen oven 1 fumes and 2 any excess powder melts to the rack.. then becomes sticky anytime you ever heat your oven above 350...... as for thay kit ya it works but go on ebay buy a small 100$ kit that's how I started out.. it would work perfect for quite a while probably longer than you'll ever need. My cheap gun still works and I use the hell out of it
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
The Eastwood stuff is OK, but it's not "high quality". I have one and there's a lot of wasted powder. You might do better to figure a budget for a new one form Eastwood and see if you can't find a better quality used one on fleabay or CL.
Having said that, I use mine and it works OK. You can prep rusty parts with a product called "prep and etch" from Home Depot, it's like 15 bucks a gallon, phosphoric acid product that will absolutely clean the rust off of parts and leave them ready to coat.

And my parts didn't really stink up the place too much. My powerdcoating "booth" and oven are in my basement and I don't recall my wife ever really throwing a fit about it. Which can't be said for when I bust out the fiberglass resin....
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kikinz24:

It smells like mmm mmmm car part goodness ... it all depends on the part and different powders. I have my oven in my garage so it doesn't smell up my house....

It also depends on how much oil (if any) is on the parts. Glad that wasn't my kitchen!!!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I use the Harbor Freight gun; picked it up for around $60-70 new. It works fine, but as others have mentioned, the cheap guns waste a fair amount of powder. Good thing is, HF sells powder for cheap!

BTW, I would NOT keep your PC oven inside the house (basement or garage if attached); as the powder will give off toxic fumes while curing. You definatly don't want those fumes to linger into the living area of the home. I keep my oven in my shop (2500 sq ft) and I would never consider leaving the doors closed while its in use; I keeps fans running to have a nice cross-venting of the air...

Shop CL for a used oven; you can prolly snag one for next to nothing. Just make sure you get an electric one and the largest one you can find for cheap!
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
My shift cable bracket coated in reflective chrome and then transparent blue. Looks like anodized blue. The 1st parts I ever did (last week).

Used the Eastwood gun and powder bought oven for $40, did it outside. The gun worked good with no problems.

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 gt(stock 4cyl), parts car 86 se(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121858.html

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at Harbor Freight and looks like they only carry black, white, red and yellow powder? I was looking at Eastwood and they have a pretty amazing looking chrome and clear combo.

edit: Looks like they don't ship to Canada either

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 08-29-2012).]

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

I'm looking at Harbor Freight and looks like they only carry black, white, red and yellow powder? I was looking at Eastwood and they have a pretty amazing looking chrome and clear combo.

PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Dave E Bouy

1465 posts
Member since Sep 2004

I have that gun fro Eastwood and it works fairly well. I also know that there are Eastwood distributors in Canada. There's one in particular near Windsor called Hawkes Auto that sells stuff for the same price as the Eastwood website. As well there's a place in Port Perry just north of TO that sells their own powders and other PC accessories but I can't think of the name

DF
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Eastwood ship to me, I live in Canada. Some things can't be shipped to Alberta because of laws.

Here are Canadian sites;
http://powder365.ca/
http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 gt(stock 4cyl), parts car 86 se(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

[This message has been edited by race9887 (edited 08-29-2012).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by race9887:

My shift cable bracket coated in reflective chrome and then transparent blue. Looks like anodized blue. The 1st parts I ever did (last week).

Used the Eastwood gun and powder bought oven for $40, did it outside. The gun worked good with no problems.

That looks awesome! I have not tried the two stage powdering yet.

I bought the Eastwood kit a while back and was apprehensive about using it at first. Once I tried it though, I'm not sure what I was worried about. I'm more likely to powder small parts now then paint it due to the ease and the fact the part is ready to go once cooled. Air to clean up. I think it is pretty cool to watch the process of the powder clinging to the part when applying it. As said before dedicated oven, do not use the one in the house. I found one for $50 and was actually a pretty nice one. Would have made someone a really nice oven before I used it.

Kevin

race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
When applying 2nd stage remember to ground to bare metal, lesson learned the hard way.

Now I try not to paint.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Dun w/ HF red

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I'm sold on powder coating over paint, but of course the next question is, what can be done and what can't? Thinking about parts like the aluminium heat shields and brake calipers.... would pc'ing the heat shields reduce their efficiency, and how could you do calipers without damaging the inner workings, or could you?
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Can only PC things that can take 400 F. Brake calipers the seals must be removed, on an 88 I believe the caliper covers can be removed. Heat shields its the air space not the metal that protects IMO should not loss any heat protection. PC'ed the heat shields on my 3800 swap, not finished yet so no real life facts yet. Can't wait to see how your projects turn out.

heat shield for the tie rod on the cradle.

------------------
Our projects

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
are the valve covers on the 3800 made of plastic or metel (aluminum, steel)?

Thanks

Rob
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
stock 3800 valve covers are fiberglass can't powder coat.

[This message has been edited by race9887 (edited 09-03-2012).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Well I ordered the PC starter kit from Eastwood, hopefully will get it in about a week. Will start with some simple things like the heat shields and cooling tubes, then look at intake manifold and valve covers (my rear has a slight leak anyway). Also trying Kinek to get stuff shipped to a U.S. address at the same time, will be good to see how well that works and if it does save me some money.
PFF
System Bot
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Can't wait to see some of your projects.

------------------
Our projects

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2012 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
We powder 3800 valve covers all the time

Bead blast, clean well, preheat to 250 then spray and bake for 10 minutes

------------------
3.4TDC/4.9l/3800(SC) Swap kits and parts

F23 Transmission Kits

Big Brake Adapters

Polish and Powder Coating

race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Good to know going to give it a try

------------------
Our projects

rwhughes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwhughesSend a Private Message to rwhughesDirect Link to This Post
As to what you can powdercoat, probably everything but the exhaust manifolds and pipes. I have the Eastwood stuff and used it to powdercoat my cylinderheads about 10 years ago with the cast aluminum stuff. They still look fresh with no deterioration, flaking, or yellowing, even around the exhaust ports.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rwhughes:

As to what you can powdercoat, probably everything but the exhaust manifolds and pipes. I have the Eastwood stuff and used it to powdercoat my cylinderheads about 10 years ago with the cast aluminum stuff. They still look fresh with no deterioration, flaking, or yellowing, even around the exhaust ports.

Eastwood used to have a high heat powder just for that in a few colors, but I'll be darned if I can find it on the website anymore. I always wondered how that would work. Bake powder to 400 degrees, but would withstand 1000 to 1200 when cured?

Kevin
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

stock 3800 valve covers are fiberglass can't powder coat.

See my pic above

PC'ing non-metal parts is a PITA, but can be dun...

I media blasted them
Cleaned the heck out of them w/ solvent
Clean w/ dish soap
Pre heated them to bake-off any residual oil that may be soaked into the plastic (20 min @ 300)
Let cool then heat them again (20 min @ 300)
Let cool and clean again w/ soap
Pre heat parts for 10 min @ 350; but be carefull, the plastic begins to get a bit soft. Not to the point it deforms or anything, just not as firm/hard as cold.
Remove part and quickly coat w/ very low psi and very light coat. I had to do 3 light coats because the plastic part cools too quick (reheat between coats). if its cool, the PC will not stick and will clump/pile up and look like poo.

You will only be able to do one cover at a time because the part cools to quick. It is a PITA, but at least the color matches the other parts PC'ed

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 09-05-2012).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Well I ordered the PC starter kit from Eastwood, hopefully will get it in about a week. Will start with some simple things like the heat shields and cooling tubes, then look at intake manifold and valve covers (my rear has a slight leak anyway). Also trying Kinek to get stuff shipped to a U.S. address at the same time, will be good to see how well that works and if it does save me some money.

Keep in mind your limited to what you can PC by the size of your oven... I would like to do the stock 88 trunk & firewall heat shields, but there to big to fit in my oven... Also, a reflective color like chrome will offer better heat deflection than black or some other dark color. But as mentioned, the shields are not ment to "insulate", rather to provide a barrier w/ an air-gap to reduce heat-soak...
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I've ordered gloss black and reflective chrome powder. I'm going to try doing the heat shields around the ignition coil with the chrome and the air filter housing with the black. I also have the pipes on the back of my bike that the chrome has started peeling off and will be doing those as well. What's the best way to get parts cleaned up and smooth? I've seen media blasting mentioned, but I have no idea what that is.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-05-2012).]

race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
Media Blasting is often referred as sand blasting. Just depends on what u are blasting to what media you use, sand, glass, soda, walnut shell plus others I can,t think of by name. We are lucky enough to have a DIY Blaster 15 minutes away.

------------------
Our projects

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

I've ordered gloss black and reflective chrome powder. I'm going to try doing the heat shields around the ignition coil with the chrome and the air filter housing with the black. I also have the pipes on the back of my bike that the chrome has started peeling off and will be doing those as well. What's the best way to get parts cleaned up and smooth? I've seen media blasting mentioned, but I have no idea what that is.

The above pics of mine also show some chrome PC'ed item; the TB and DB mount were dun in chrome. Its not as good as real chrome, looks more like high-quality clean/new aluminum. maybe it would have come out better if I sanded between coats and put on a high-gloss clear after; but for the parts I was doing, I didn't care that much...

If your gonna be doing allot of PC'ing, your gonna wanna get some sort of sand blast set-up. It does the best job of removing old paint and rust. It also leaves the surface with a nice etch for paint and PC to adhear to. I purchased the Harbor Freight large cabinet and couldn't be happier w/ it. I use black beauty (I think thats what the media is called) for everything and it can be purchased from just about any auto paint supply place for around $16 for 60lbs bag...

http://www.harborfreight.co...t-cabinet-93608.html
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a really decent setup for the price. I have to go to Lewiston next week to pick up some things, I just might make a stop, there's a HF about 20 minutes away from where I'm going.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

That looks like a really decent setup for the price. I have to go to Lewiston next week to pick up some things, I just might make a stop, there's a HF about 20 minutes away from where I'm going.

If your gonna get a sand blaster, just make sure you have a large enough compressor to use it with. I have a 60 gallon and it works well; anything smaller and you may have to stop frequently while the compressor catches up. Also, avoid using sand as it is very abrasive on the sand blasters air nozzle inside the gun. Mine wore a hole through it in under 3hrs of use. Since I started using the black-beauty stuff, I have well over 5hrs on one nozzle. On the plus-side, replacement guns are $10-12. I just purchased a couple extras when I ordered; as you can not buythem in-store. You have to order them over the phone via there 800# and speak with an Indian guy w/ a very strong accent; not something I want to do again any time soon. What should have taken 5 minutes to order took about 25!
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Direct Link to This Post
If you are looking for a place in Canada, try here http://www.princessauto.com...Sandblasting-Cabinet they sell media as well.

------------------
Our projects

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

If you are looking for a place in Canada, try here http://www.princessauto.com...Sandblasting-Cabinet they sell media as well.

Not to sure what shipping would be to Canada from Harbor Freight; but that cabinet you listed in almost twice the cost and dosn't include a light!
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
The Harbour Freight one is in-store only. I will be making a trip to NY in the next week so I will be stopping in to have a look. Princess Auto is a really good place as well, will have to keep an eye out for sales there.

Edit: Will have to think about compressor size as well, I only have a 5 gallon. There is a place close to me that offers media blasting services, I'm going to drop in there and see exactly what they offer.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-07-2012).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

The Harbour Freight one is in-store only. I will be making a trip to NY in the next week so I will be stopping in to have a look. Princess Auto is a really good place as well, will have to keep an eye out for sales there.

Edit: Will have to think about compressor size as well, I only have a 5 gallon. There is a place close to me that offers media blasting services, I'm going to drop in there and see exactly what they offer.

If you only have a 5 gallon compressor, thats not gonna cut it! to be honest with ya, I wouldn't use anything less than 60 for sand blasting or its gonna take you forever to do a part. When I bought my blast cabinet. I also purchased my 60 gallon compressor as well. HF had a very decent 3.5hp (I think 3.5) 60 gal compressor that they do not advertise on line; I think I paid around $500 for it w/ the extended warranty. They also have the 2-stage 5hp one, but it was like twice the cost...
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I think for now I'm just going to look around and see what places are in the area that offer sandblasting services and go from there. I can take a few small parts to them and see just how well the powder coating works and how much I'll end up needing it. I'm pretty sure like a lot of us I've already blown my 'Fiero budget' for the year

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock