Limit switch brush replacment by 85_redbird
Started on: 08-27-2012 01:07 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: 85_redbird on 09-10-2012 10:13 AM
85_redbird

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_redbirdSend a Private Message to 85_redbirdDirect Link to This Post
I recently experienced the dreaded "continously spinning headlight motor" and bought the aluminum alloy gear kit from the fiero store to rebuild both motors. During the rebuild, I was cleaning the contacts of the limit switch and found one of the brushes contacting the commutator is missing. Is there some where to buy a replacment brush or a way to rig up a suitable replacment? (During my searches of this topic, I came across the name Rodney Dickman but am not having much luck finding a working website for him.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's site is http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php I have been working with someone to develop a process to replace brushes on the limiter switches. It appears that they were originally spot-welded in place. We've found a machine to do it, but it's very expensive and the material for the brushes is purchased in sheets and must be cut down to size. Right now it doesn't look like we're going to be able to do them as they were originally produced and the only alternative at the moment is to find a switch from another motor.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85_redbird:

During my searches of this topic, I came across the name Rodney Dickman but am not having much luck finding a working website for him.

Here.

85_redbird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_redbirdSend a Private Message to 85_redbirdDirect Link to This Post
Wow, how original... the website is his name. Guess I was just using a broken link somewhere. Anyway, thanks for the quick replies. As a side note, I may have rigged a solution for the missing brush. I'll know for sure when I re-install the motor this weekend. I found a broken DC motor at work and cut out its brush, trimmed it down to size, and soldered it onto the limit switch. I know solder isn't exactly welding but it seems to be holding. I connected the headlight motor to a power supply and let it run on the bench to "burn in" the replacement brush and after a few minutes in each direction, so far so good.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with that! I just did my motors and was thinking that they were pretty delicate looking. I'm really surprised there's not a lot more demand for replacements.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Did you solder the carbon brush to the arm? I'd like to know what brush you used and how you did it. We've not been successful with that method.
85_redbird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_redbirdSend a Private Message to 85_redbirdDirect Link to This Post
Well, the solder joint didn't hold up so I did the following as plan B. I got another brush off a different DC motor. This one had a small wire coming out of it. I used copper tape all around the brush except where it would contact the motor. This allowed for a more secure solder connection to the limit switch arm. Then, I soldered the small wire to the limit switch arm also. It doesn't look pretty but so far so good.

Now that both motors are back in the car, the one that still has the original brushes, the light doesn't always go up without a little manual help. I sometimes have to give the knob a quarter turn then it goes up as expected. Going down works fine. Any suggestions?

------------------
1985 Fiero GT

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock