Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Want to know the condition of your serpentine belts and you have a smartphone?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Want to know the condition of your serpentine belts and you have a smartphone? by avengador1
Started on: 08-21-2012 10:50 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: fierogt28 on 08-24-2012 08:28 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Check out the app you can find here:
http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear

Edit to add YouTube link.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 08-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pilot Abileen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pilot AbileenSend a Private Message to Pilot AbileenDirect Link to This Post
gates are always on top of their game. they have the orange gauge testers (which are free @ O'Reillys) which will gauge the grooves inbetween the ribs of the belt as well.

gates released all these goodies (free) due to the new formula of rubbers they use as they may not crack and breakdown like they used to back in the day, so the grooves would just become shorter and shorter until the belt is actually bad.

[This message has been edited by Pilot Abileen (edited 08-21-2012).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I could have inspected a dozen belts by eye ON THE CAR in the amount of time it would take me to do one with that silly app.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
"I could have inspected a dozen belts by eye ON THE CAR in the amount of time it would take me to do one with that silly app."

That's amazing! How often do you have your eyes calbrated and can they give me a print out that I can show my customers?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I could have inspected a dozen belts by eye ON THE CAR in the amount of time it would take me to do one with that silly app.

You *should* use that app with the belt on the car if you have access to a section of the ribs.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Agree, if you are not sure if a belt needs replaced by looking at it, maybe you shouldn't be working on vehicles in the first place.

Originally posted by avengador1:

That's amazing! How often do you have your eyes calbrated and can they give me a print out that I can show my customers?

Here is your print out:

1) This belt looks good, I wouldn't mess with it.

or

2) I would replace this belt.

If your not sure and need that app, or your customers don't trust you, refer to response above.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 08-22-2012).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

Here is your print out:

1) This belt looks good, I wouldn't mess with it.

or

2) I would replace this belt.

If your not sure and need that app, or your customers don't trust you, refer to response above.

Kevin

I'm sorry, but that does not comform with MAP (Motorist Assurance Program) standards. www.motorist.org . You need to be able to show that the part has in fact gone beyond it's usable life. This app shows concrete proof of this. The only other acceptable way to show this to your customers is to walk them into the workshop and show them (by using the orange rib gauge in this example) that their belt is worn out. If the part still is within specs, and is not beyond the factory service recommendations, you can only suggest that it be replaced, you CANNOT require that it be replaced. The only time you can say that replacement is required is: if the part is missing, broken, or worn out. You can't just tell the customer that it is worn out, you have to prove that it is. If the repair shop that is working on your vehicle is not MAP compliant, and they are replacing parts you don't really need replaced, I suggest finding another shop. Repair shops have a bad enough reputation because of stuff like this happening. You want to gain your customers trust by telling and showing them the truth, not by BSing them.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 08-22-2012).]

Yarmouth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yarmouth FieroSend a Private Message to Yarmouth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Interesting app. For the newbies like myself, make sure the engine isn't running when you do this test. I ruined 4 sharpy's before I clued in.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Old news but good to rerun this
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108775.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry, but that does not comform with MAP (Motorist Assurance Program) standards. www.motorist.org . You need to be able to show that the part has in fact gone beyond it's usable life. This app shows concrete proof of this. The only other acceptable way to show this to your customers is to walk them into the workshop and show them (by using the orange rib gauge in this example) that their belt is worn out. If the part still is within specs, and is not beyond the factory service recommendations, you can only suggest that it be replaced, you CANNOT require that it be replaced. The only time you can say that replacement is required is: if the part is missing, broken, or worn out. You can't just tell the customer that it is worn out, you have to prove that it is. If the repair shop that is working on your vehicle is not MAP compliant, and they are replacing parts you don't really need replaced, I suggest finding another shop. Repair shops have a bad enough reputation because of stuff like this happening. You want to gain your customers trust by telling and showing them the truth, not by BSing them.

I'm only suggesting what I would do if it were mine, not telling them it has to be replaced or requiring them to do anything, I for one would want to replace a part just before it hits the end of it's usable life, not after. All the peoples vehicles I work on trust me fully. Never ripped them off. Don't know of ths MAP thing you speak of, and could care less.

Kevin

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

"I could have inspected a dozen belts by eye ON THE CAR in the amount of time it would take me to do one with that silly app."

Just twist the belt, look for cracks and show the customer- like it's been done for decades. It isn't rocket science.

PFF
System Bot
samt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather just replace the belt if I need to or not than go through this agonizing procedure...wow
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

Don't know of ths MAP thing you speak of, and could care less.

Click on www.motorist.org and educate yourself. Your clients will appreciate you even more for doing this. Most dealer shops and major car repair chains are MAP compliant now. If you follow MAP standards you also are less likely to be sued. This is win-win for you and your customers. After ASE certification you should look to be MAP compliant. If you wish to remain in the dark about this, not only are you doing a disservice to your customers, you also are doing one to yourself.

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Click on www.motorist.org and educate yourself. Your clients will appreciate you even more for doing this. Most dealer shops and major car repair chains are MAP compliant now. If you follow MAP standards you also are less likely to be sued. This is win-win for you and your customers. After ASE certification you should look to be MAP compliant. If you wish to remain in the dark about this, not only are you doing a disservice to your customers, you also are doing one to yourself.

I was actually at that site already. First thing I noticed is there is not one center located withint 100 miles of me, thus the could care less statement.
Funny how the automtive industry survived before this Map thing you speak of and doing everyone a disservice.Interesting.

Kevin

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Absolute waste of time...

Do it like a pro...use your eyes and hands to check a belt.

This world is getting nuts with using phones. I wish they would of never invented
an I-Phone or BlackBerry. Flip phones was already plenty for a human to use.

I'm suprised to see an older fellow using these devices. I'm in my 30s and I have no
interest in "joining the club".

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 08-24-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock