spark plugs... by longgone
Started on: 08-10-2012 09:48 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: firejo24 on 08-11-2012 10:35 PM
longgone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longgoneSend a Private Message to longgoneDirect Link to This Post
Hi... I have 100% stock '86 GT V6 and I would like to install Champion Spark plugs, RV15YC4. Does someone know what the gap should be? Thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Stock gap on the V6 is 0.045, but I'd highly recommend using AC Delco R42TS plugs.
longgone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longgoneSend a Private Message to longgoneDirect Link to This Post
oh oh... I bought Champions. Delco is the better way to go? I can switch to the Delco's.

Can you tell me if I made another mistake? I ordered an MSD cap and rotor and coil. I thought they would be a little upgrade. The coil is supposed to fire a higher voltage. What do you think?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I have the MSD coil on my car, and at least in my case it works better at higher rpm's, above 3000 or so. The MSD cap and rotor are good pieces, too. Definitely swap out the Champions for AC Delcos.
longgone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longgoneSend a Private Message to longgoneDirect Link to This Post
... rather amusing that I, given the choice between two plugs, chose the less recommended ones. I think I may have done the same with spark plug wires... I bought some STI's... sheesh! Thank you for the info.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
A while back I bought some (very expensive) Bosch spark plugs. After getting advice from several members on the forum I swapped them for AC Delco plugs. The ECM is designed to work with the Delco plugs, and doesn't take advantage of the 'features' of the more expensive plugs, so if you're 100% stock, they will work best. My car has been running great with Delco plugs, lots of pep and decent gas mileage too.
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
Stock AC Delco plugs will work the best. Early GM engine control systems had limitations and made decisions on fuel and timing based off of some known parameters not the least of which is fuel burn duration and heat. When you change to a non stock spark plug you change these and the ECM doesn’t know it’s different. I spend a lot of time in the early to late 80’s fixing “it just doesn’t feel right” complaints be replacing newly installed aftermarket spark plugs with AC Delco ones. Do yourself a huge favor and put in the stock AC Delco plugs.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock