swaying rear end by Phirewire
Started on: 07-03-2012 08:58 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: amflyer on 07-04-2012 07:24 AM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
The rear end of my car sways back and forth when I am not accelerating. (its extremely scary and dangerous) Now I was told its either Bushings or Alignment, I don't know how to change bushing or which ones to change so a photo would be nice. As for other info: I hear a rubbing sound from back in as somethings rubbing together metal and metal? its not loud but loud enough to hear inside cars (Warped rotor? rubbing breaks?) Also you can see the tires have worn in ward, and the right back tire appears to be slightly bowed. What do you think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like you should not drive it. Fieros are very sensitive to alignment, and that may be most of your problem, but until you figure out the metal rubbing sound there may be more trouble.

Look for something like a broken spring or other component that may cause the suspension to collapse.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-03-2012).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Check your hub bearings.
Control links.
Cradle bushings.
Toe alignment.
Lower ball joints.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Check your hub bearings.
Control links.
Cradle bushings.
Toe alignment.
Lower ball joints.

Are both wheels on tight? In addition to the above check the tightness of the bolt that holds the tie rods to the cradle and make sure that there is no play in the wheel. Jack car up so the rear wheels are off the ground. Support with jack stands. Grab each tire with two hands and try to move it side to side and top to bottom. If it is suspension parts you can usually hear a rattle where the problem is. If no rattle then it could still be worn cradle bushings or a very bad alignment.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
there is a slight movement in both back tires and when i say slight i mean very slight tons of force and very little movement, as for metal rubbing I have no idea if it metal i just hear rubbing as the car moves.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Metal on metal, not sure, could be a cradle bushing, or a spring broken? Or something else.

As far as the sway, Im guessing the tie rods, most likely the inners are shot. I think I got mine at Rodney Dickman, don;t remember. As far as bushings go, you'll need a torch to get them out. If you have one, its pretty simple.

Remove the control arm, (or lower the cradle a few inches) whichever the case may be. heat the metal around the bushing un til it begins to cherry. Heat evenly. There is going to be a lot of toxic smoke, the bushing will sometimes spurt out HOT smoke and sometimes flaming rubber. I have seen them pop out and go flying around the garage. you do not want to get hit with one of those. Let the arm cool, hose off the rubber so it doesnt burn. Once things are cool, inspect the sleeves, if they are in good shape, you'll need to clean them, otherwise, get new ones. I use a spade bit for drilling holes in wood, 3/4" wrapped in stainless steel wool spun with a drill. It will clean a sleeve in a matter of seconds. Now is the time to put polyurethane bushings in it. The Fiero Store has the full set for 118$, the cradle bushing set is 60$. Putting rubber ones back in is just plain silly. Order a bit of the extra grease, and lube them up liberally. They go back in easily, usually by hand, or a couple taps with a rubber mallet. Make sure you put the right control arm on the right side, etc..., and you're good to go.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post

Stainless1911

981 posts
Member since Apr 2012
oh, and one more thing, the black that comes off those melted bushings is the blackest messiest stuff on the planet, you're going to get dirty. Gas cleans it up quickly and easily.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
Well this is a budget car, (paid 225$ for it so far, and I am keeping it as cheap as possible to get on road)

http://napaonline.com/Catal...CP2692654_0131001938 is that what your referring to?

I was also quoted 28$ for all the right rear bushings. (I am all for support fierostore.com but I can't afford that when I need transportation to work.
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stainless1911:

oh, and one more thing, the black that comes off those melted bushings is the blackest messiest stuff on the planet, you're going to get dirty. Gas cleans it up quickly and easily.

Rubber gloves are cheap and easy to get, protect your hands!
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashyoung:

Rubber gloves are cheap and easy to get, protect your hands!

Then you dont get battle scars and dirt.
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
Lower ball joints! They may look good looking at them but I had a buddy that had this problem and the joint was scraping back and fourth on the a frame making the car dart from side to side.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

[This message has been edited by amflyer (edited 07-04-2012).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors