HELP NEEDED: Water get in the trunk of my 88 GT by jackcastro
Started on: 06-30-2012 11:38 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 07-02-2012 09:07 PM
jackcastro

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroDirect Link to This Post
The car has no spoiler, so there are no leaks from the screws. The seal is fairly new, soft. I cannot figure it out.
I appreciate any help here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Is the trunk rusted through? Could be coming in from the bottom?
Trunk seal could be split, did you inspect the entire seal (not just the bulble on top)?
Cracked drip-tray? These are the plastic trays on the left & right side of the trunk. They brake easy if you (or someone else) lean or put an elbow on one to look in the engine bay...

Put some bby powder on the top of the seal ond close the trunk slowly. Open trunk and inspect the powder, see if the seal is making good contact all the way around...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 06-30-2012).]

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem with my 88, but it seems water is entering the trunk when I pressure wash the wheel well openings around the rear tires. Is there a joint located somewhere between the wheel well openings and the metal trunk enclosure? My trunk enclosure is not rusted whatsoever. When I pressure wash the wheel well openings, the flat ledges on each side of the trunk well become wet. My trunk seals are in perfect condition and my spoiler bolt holes are sealed with silicone sealant. Any ideas or suggestions on where to look or how to fix would be greatfully appreciated!

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
If the seal looks look check the plastic "D" shaped pieces on each side of the trunk. Even if your trunk is rusted out on the sides you gotta get a lot of rain to get water in the trunk.

Jason
My87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My87gtClick Here to visit My87gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to My87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

If the seal looks look check the plastic "D" shaped pieces on each side of the trunk. Even if your trunk is rusted out on the sides you gotta get a lot of rain to get water in the trunk.

Jason

I agree 100%. The d-plates may be cracked an the would allow water to come in.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
Hmm I have the same issue I may have to check those!
jackcastro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroDirect Link to This Post
Can someone post pictures of the trays? I am not sure I understand what to look for.
Thanks,
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

Jason

This....There will be a crack in them as every set I have ever pulled off will have a crack in them. Little black RTV and you are good to go....
jackcastro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroDirect Link to This Post
I just do not know what I am looking for. A picture to diagram will help. Thanks
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Ditto! I don't know what these D-plates are or where to look for them, a picture would certainly be worth a thousand words here! Can anyone post some photos of these mystery D-plates? THANKS on behalf of all Fiero leaking trunk owners!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
All Fieros use the same trunk. On fastbacks to get them to 'square' up GM added these filler plates underneath the fastback assembly piece so the trunk seal has a place to hold onto on the sides. Since they are plastic and in a spot on the car prone to twisting and movement, they very often crack and thus cause leaks.

Some claim you can remove these by reaching under this space under the trunk area of the fastback clip, but I have had to remove the inner fastback beauty piece to get to them. I believe they are secured by a single screw and then the rounded part inserts into the round portion of the edge of the trunk.

Think of these as a "roof" filler piece under the fastback clip trunk area.

Here is a photo of one with a crack just to show how easy it is to get leaks.

Not my photo.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-02-2012).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock