Battery Cable Lengths/Gauge by Madscanner
Started on: 06-25-2012 11:32 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Reallybig on 06-30-2012 08:44 PM
Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
Hi All

Can anyone tell me how long both battery cables ('88 V6) are? I need to get replacements while the old cables are still in place on the car and, unfortunately, I can't go in to our local equivalent to Pep Boys and buy some, 'cause there simply won't be a listing for them, so will have to work from lengths.

Second question is, from what I can tell, the original cables are 4 gauge (19mm) - it appears that after-market battery cables here in the UK are 16mm, which puts them somewhere in the middle of 4 gauge and 6 gauge. Is using them likely to cause a problem?

TIA

------------------

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'00 Fiesta Zetec S (for those days when I need more than 2 seats)

[This message has been edited by Madscanner (edited 06-25-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Along the same line, what gauge should be used if relocating the battery to the front?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
According to the 88 FSM, the positive lead running from the battery to the starter solenoid is metric 19 gauge (AWG 4 ga.) The one between the battery and the junction block is metric 5 gauge (AWG 10 ga.)

The ground wire running between the battery and the engine block is metric 19 ga (AWG 4). and the one running to the battery tray is metric 3 ga (AWG 12).

For front mounted batteries, you should use AWG 2 as a minimum, and AWG 1 would be better.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Is ordering parts online an option for you? I wanted the factory-style battery terminals on mine and looked up the AC Delco part numbers for them. They are SD25X and SD35X (or 4SD25X and 4SD35X) for negative and positive, respectively. I do not know if the "25" and "35" refer to any specific lengths (such as inches) but at any rate they did indeed have the factory-style terminals and if anything were a little on the long side.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

According to the 88 FSM...

Blooz, your post was quite informative (as they usually are), but you didn't address Madscanner's initial question.

Originally posted by Madscanner:

Can anyone tell me how long both battery cables ('88 V6)?

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I never said I had all the answers!

I can go check later this afternoon if no one else has answered by then... happy?
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Is ordering parts online an option for you? I wanted the factory-style battery terminals on mine and looked up the AC Delco part numbers for them. They are SD25X and SD35X (or 4SD25X and 4SD35X) for negative and positive, respectively. I do not know if the "25" and "35" refer to any specific lengths (such as inches) but at any rate they did indeed have the factory-style terminals and if anything were a little on the long side.

Thanks - I checked out Rockauto's website and the 2 cables listed are #32425, noted as 25", and #32435, noted as 35". That deals with question 1.

Unfortunately, my car no longer has a side terminal battery - the current battery has the traditional top mount terminals (most likely on cost - the last time I bought a side terminal battery was 6 years ago, and it cost me the equivalent of $132 and took two weeks to get, while top mount batteries about 1/3 less expensive, and easy to source). As a result the cables no longer have the original factory style screw-in connectors, either.

I can get cables made up locally but, again, it ain't cheap - I'm probably looking at somewhere around $25-$28 each.

[This message has been edited by Madscanner (edited 06-25-2012).]

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to get top post to side terminal adapters for your battery. They also make it easier to jump start your or others vehicles.
The best place to get large cables for front to rear battery cables is a welding supply house. Don't forget to have a current limiter (fuse) at the battery if you relocate it to the front.
You should find those at the auto store.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madscanner:
...the 2 cables listed are #32425, noted as 25", and #32435, noted as 35".

I just finished measuring up mine and the neg cable was 28" long and the positive cable was 35" (for side post).

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
Got my new cable made up locally, and put them in yesterday. I also replaced the cables running fm the B+ to the distribution block and fm the distribution block to the alternator.

The overheating issue (alternator cable) I had, with the aircon on, is no longer there.

The cables were in pretty rough shape - I'll post some pictures when I get time (which might not be until we get back from The Le Mans Classic.

As per my last trip to Le Mans 3 years ago, I suspect that there will be only 1 Fiero present, so I'll have to make sure it's presentable

Ciao!

------------------

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'00 Fiesta Zetec S (for those days when I need more than 2 seats)

[This message has been edited by Madscanner (edited 06-30-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If you cant find it locally, try a welding shop. I know people who used welding cables. In my race boat, I had a high compression 454 that drew a lot of starter power when it was hot. I just doubled up and ran 2 cables in parallel for each.
PFF
System Bot
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
Found some time to get a couple of photos - apologies for the (lack of) quality, but time is short at the mooment...

What you can't really see here is that there only about 8 strands of the positive cable still clamped in to the terminal - the rest have snapped (or were simply cut down to fit a terminal that was too small to begin with).

The red wire on the right is the one to the alternator - again, not too easy to see, but there are 2 different gauge wires there, with a metal screw connector joining them. This connector was covered in electrical tape until I switched on the (freshly serviced) aircon a couple of days ago - smoke coming out of the cable sheath was the first clue that all was not well. Up until this point, the splice had been hidden by the cable sheath/protector.

Only 47,000 miles on this car and look at the state of the plug wires - the damage wasn't obvious to the eye as it faced inwards, towards the block, which underlines the need to check them thoroughly, and not just visually. You can see why I'm after some plug shields.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Cheaper wires will melt like that from heat. Good ones arent affected by the heat. Ive never used the OEM shields.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stainless1911:

Along the same line, what gauge should be used if relocating the battery to the front?

The 3800SC buick riviera (among a few other gm cars) has the battery located under the drivers side rear seat. That battery cable is long enough to reach from the front of the fiero spare tire tub to the stock battery location. I am using two of these cables to relocate my battery to the front. I will run the ground wire from the front to the engine block instead of just the front chassis. This wire appears to be around 4-3 gauge. I figure if it was good for the riviera, it'll be good for the fiero. Although I do agree 1-0 gauge would be better. Its just too easy as they come with the battery teminals, connecting eyelets, and passthrough grommets. The price was right too!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock