Started on: 06-24-2012 03:20 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-25-2012 12:05 AM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I'm new to engine swaps, so I want to make sure I get a complete list before I start laying down cash on this project. Let me know if I can find something cheaper

86 GT auto to 3800 SC3 using a throttle cable. From what I'm reading, this means running the Series II TB or a N* with an adapter plate and LS1 MAF.
Will I need a Series 2 or 3 PCM?

-------------------

$ salvage - 3800 SC3 + 4T65E-HD (2004+ has stronger rods)
Also grab alternator, dogbone bracket, what else...?
use dogbone bracket & fab low mount alt bracket.
Power steering delete..?

$700 - Red Devil River harness + PCM provided & Programming. Can I get this done for less?

$200 - WCF Poly engine/trans mounts

$150 - Solid cradle bushings

$100 - Fuel pump

$100 - axles according to MstangsBware's instructions
(DS: Stock auto)
(PS: Fiero manual outer, GTP DS shaft, GTP PS cage)

$ free - Radiator may be good enough
$ ?? - radiator hoses?

Total: $1250 + powertrain and counting...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
From the donor car, grab everything you can, including the wiring harness, all accessories, coilpacks, ect. If you want it on the cheaper side, you dont have to do a low mount alt, its kist something that kinda makes it look cleaner. you dont need a power steering delete

You can get the pcm programming and wiring done for less. Most people on the forum still doing harnesses charge around 400, and the pcm programming, PM Nosrac, he does them for $42 if I remember correctly. So thats $442 instead of 700.

You can get solid cradle bushings for about 100 I believe, from rodney dickman

Radiator- stock will be fine, mines stock, never gets above 190F in 110 degree Texas heat

Dont forget all the small things though, wire loom, hoses, intake, exhaust, zip ties, oil, fluids, ect. You dont account for them before you do the swap, but be prepared to spend a few hundred on this stuff

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
If you order parts from WCF, give yourself a year before you start the project.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
PM'd.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well I (Red Devil River) am not quite $700 for converting a harness, but if you add a programmed PCM, the A/C, automatic transmission and cruise options in, and don't supply donor harnesses yeah you can be up there
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
if you are doing a series III (04-06) 3800 SC engine w the 4T65eHD automatic be advised that if you wish to use cable throttle body controls ONLY the Grand Prix 2003 PCM will shift that transmission. In 03 GM made internal changes to the 4T65eHD that involve how the line pressures were electronically set.
Make sure that you buy the mounts for the later transmissons.
For a throttle body you can adapt a 2000 Northstar.
You can use an LS1 MAF sensor provided that the MAF table values are imported into your PCM program.
Both the N* and LS1 connectors are different than the GTP's- new plugs on the harness or adapters are needed.
You can alternatively use the 3800SC series II throttle body and MAF sensor w an adapter that ZZ Performance sells.
You will also need the 03 O2 sensor (I recommend using only Denso or AC Delco) .
Axles are not always made up using the same formula. Cavalier, Beretta, Transport Van and Fiero manual axles will offer the right parts to build (depending on length needed). WCF, Purplereign, and FieroX mounts may all locate the powertrain in a slightly different location.
You will need to make up or buy a low alterantor mount, fabricate a new belt tensioner, throttle cable bracket, new water hoses, new fuel lines and a custom CAI system.
You will also need to fabricate a new exhaust system. If you want to keep the trunk that means using a small 13" L muffler like the Flotech Afterburner or Spintech. Figure $250-$300 for the exhaust flange, mandrel bends, muffler and exhaust ends.
This swap can get costly, That is why many choose to DIY.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-24-2012).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt particularly be married to a series3... chances are you are going to pay a huge premium there, and you still have to track down wiring/pcm/throttle body bits.

I and a few others seem to have made all the record power numbers (well over 700hp) on stock L67 rods... while the only broken L67/L32 rods I have ever seen were L32s....
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I wouldnt particularly be married to a series3... chances are you are going to pay a huge premium there, and you still have to track down wiring/pcm/throttle body bits.

I and a few others seem to have made all the record power numbers (well over 700hp) on stock L67 rods... while the only broken L67/L32 rods I have ever seen were L32s....

The only advantage of the series III engine is if you are going to run supercharged. The Gen V supercharger is a bit more efficient and generates 20 more horsepower stock. If you are going to boost using a more efficient turbo, the L67's are a better way to go. A few years back the supercharged 3800's were the craze. Now the turbo rules. Darkhorizon is correct in that all of the 1/4 mile 3800 record holders run intercooled L67 turbo engines.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock