Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Suggestions for removing extremely rusted seat nuts.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Suggestions for removing extremely rusted seat nuts. by zkhennings
Started on: 06-17-2012 01:39 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: jaskispyder on 06-27-2012 12:14 PM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Ok so the drivers side seat, the PO must have let it get wet because every single nut besides the rear right nut (next to the center console) Is completely stuck. The front nut closest to the door basically rusted off so I dont have to worry about that one, I managed to get the other front nut off by hammering a 10 mm impact socket on with an extension and using the impact wrench, but the rear two bolts are really hard to access because the seat doesnt slide forward enough to clear them. Ive basted the left hand one with deep creep but it is not helping, it is by far the most stuck of the 4 nuts. It got rounded off so I grinded some new flat sides into it and used the correct sized open wrench that I hammered on and it still rounded it because it is way too stuck. Then I took a dremel tool with a metal cut off wheel and sliced a slit in it that doesnt go through the base though because I didnt want to cut into the floor. Once the slot was cut I tried wedging the nut open... didnt work, then I tried hammering it around off the bolt with screwdriver and hammer, that did not work. Then I got real angry and gave up to ask for some advice. Thanks,

Zach
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
had the same exact problem in my 1988 gt... It seems like if they are rusted that bad than your cross members where the studs are attached are probably shot too.. I had to cut my studs off because I could not get them out and put a screw and nut on there with a custom mount since I didnt have a cross member anymore from all that rust..
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember if there is enough room for a nut cracker, but they do come in different sizes, so you may find one to fit.
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
best thing to use hands down is this
they are stripped bolt and nut removers, each wrench has 4 head size built in that cover a certain range of nuts. they are available in a ratchet and socket form as well but the wrenches are the easiest to get under the seat.
seriously, i had bolts that were nothing, there was hardly even a bolt there and it cut in deep and pulled it out. Definitely get some penetrating oil on there first though.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Same thing on my 86, seat nuts rusted, siezed up. Used PB blaster for a week, one was still not moving anywhere fast so I brought in the heavy artilery. Poured a cup of water on the surounding carpet then took MAP gas to the nut. It's my winter daily driver, no worries, helper was spraying down the seat as I was heating up the nut.

One of the studs was a "spinner" so I threaded a nut all the way down to the floor to secure it, will figure something out for that later if I keep the car for another winter.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
I have those easy out sockets and none of them fit the nut, and its hard to grind the nut on all sides so one of them will fit. I guess I will keep deep creeping it
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Get a good cold chisel and cut the nut down one side and crack it open with a screwdriver.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
The best penetrating oil I have used, is used brake fluid, followed by PB Blaster.
murrrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post
mix half acetone,half atf, works incredible
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
The two have fused as one unfortunately there is no longer a shape to either of them, the threads are fused I dont think any mixture of anything will fix that. I have some nut breakers i will try those, the bottom of the nut having a built in washer makes cracking the nut a little harder however.
88fieroduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierodukeSend a Private Message to 88fierodukeDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
tjthorson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

The two have fused as one unfortunately there is no longer a shape to either of them, the threads are fused I dont think any mixture of anything will fix that. I have some nut breakers i will try those, the bottom of the nut having a built in washer makes cracking the nut a little harder however.

Been there, done that.... I used one of these. Worked great. Harbor Freight has them as well.

http://www.northerntool.com.../product_34573_34573

Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerDirect Link to This Post
Those splitters look like they'd work great so long as there's enough meat to hold onto the nut as you're tightening the cutter.
a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleDirect Link to This Post
I've never used it myself, so I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard a lot of people have had success using "Freeze and Release"...

http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I have done a ton of work to my car including an engine swap and taking off these seat nuts has been the worst by far. spent 5 hours yesterday to remove the drivers seat and the two front nuts from the passengers. On the really stuck nut I used a dremel and the nut splitter to get it off. Took around 2 hours and I had to keep whacking it around to cut more and more off until I actually cut it completely in half. The bolt is ruined. Then the right side rear seat nut which is so hard to access was really stuck. I split this one with a nut splitter right away ( which advertise as not ruining the threads which is bs the nut wont be anywhere close to split unti lthe threads are ruined) so it was easier than the revious one. But harder at the same time because of how akward it was to be back there. I used a lot of force and taps form the hammer with a chisel and an air chisel to get it off around another 2 hours later. The seat was finally out. Now I go the passenger side which looks way better. Only the front right nut wasnt fully frozen. Now I am very used to getting off stuck nuts and bolts I usually use torches. These were different. The threads were basically gone even on the inside of the nut bolt area It was awful. Had to use a nut splitter on the other front bolt and then The wire under the seat is broken so it doesnt slide. I understand what to do to the piece on the rail to get it to slide (from seeing the underside of the seat that is out) But what tool is commonly used? Prybar or really big flathead? Im going to have to replace almost every bolt not fun!
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
why not just cut the thing off, and run a nut/bolt/washer combo?
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Super hard to cut it off. it is essentially directly against the floor and the seats never fully clear the nuts especially in the back, impossible to get a cutoff wheel on it. and you cant do nut and bolt combo because the floor pan is not exposed from the bottom of the car (ithink) at least you wouldnt be able to access the side of the bolt you couldnt see which is why I have to weld new ones in place
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Ok well I have successfully removed the entire interior besides the dash. After destroying 3 of the 4 seat studs and nuts (gunna be annoying to replace all the studs) And then destroying one of the studs on the other side, I had enough. Even with the correct sized 6 point socket on a wrench and deep creep which has never failed me, All of the nuts would round and I would have to split them. I finally decided to give that freeze off stuff a try (similar to the loctite product posted earlier). But it's called freeze off and its sold at all the parts stores I think. Directions say to use the red straw and spray directly on the bolt and threads for 20 seconds to freeze and crack the rust and let the oil penetrate. Worked like a charm. Every remaining nut came off easily and without much fuss. Tapping the nut with a hammer helped to break the rust as well. But its a great product and I reccomend it

http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7...e-86/EP104690386.jpg

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 06-25-2012).]

a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to get some of this stuff just to have on hand, but thus far have not found it locally. I could buy it online, but the shipping costs kill you....

Same goes for this stuff, I'd like to try either one, but again, try finding it locally...

[This message has been edited by a_bartle (edited 06-27-2012).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
another idea may be to grind off the bolt from under the car. Then just replace with nut/bolt/washer.... if you can get to it (I haven't looked lately).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock