Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Hydralic Throwout bearing, anyway to adapt to a Fiero Getrag.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Hydralic Throwout bearing, anyway to adapt to a Fiero Getrag. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 06-16-2012 03:31 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 06-16-2012 03:57 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am doing an engine rebuild on my 88GT. While the motor was out we found the clutch fork was damaged, the pressure plate got damaged by the bent fork pressing the bearing off center. I have already gotten the fork fixed but seeing good results from our few local members that upgraded to newer transaxle with hydraulic throw-out bearings as I was wondering if anyone has tried to or found a way to convert the Fiero's Getrag to a hydraulic throw-out bearing. The idea of never having a bad slave or bent clutch fork again really sounds appealing.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
There are significant casting differences in the case to make the needed room for the HTOB, so about the only way to install an OEM one is to swap the front case half. You will also need to swap out one of the shifter shafts as the non-HTOB versions used a shorter one to clear the cross shaft notch in the case.

If you would like, I can get a depth measurement from the bellhousing face to the HTOB machined pocket in the case so you can compare how much deeper the HTOB case is in that area.

There might be an aftermarket low profile HTOB that could be adapted w/o the case change, but there isn't much free space for one in the non-HTOB cases.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-16-2012).]

D_sensitized

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D_sensitizedSend a Private Message to D_sensitizedDirect Link to This Post
Isn't this pretty much exactly what Colby did?

http://westcoastfieros.com/...ts.asp?TID=2904&PN=1
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank You Guru and D, looks like I am going to stick with the stock setup, I really don't want to go nuts into doing a custom trans setup. I had really bad feelings for the internal slave, but seeing as you D, and Colby are having such good luck with your setups I was thinking if there was an easy way to upgrade the stock Getrag trans I would look into it. I guess there is not. I'll put the car together the way it is and keep my eyes open for late model Getrags and start compiling parts to install later.

Thanks again both of you.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock