Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Repairing my headlight system and having battery issues now couple of questions

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Repairing my headlight system and having battery issues now couple of questions by Fiero Owner Wannabe
Started on: 06-14-2012 12:32 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierofool on 06-14-2012 10:34 PM
Fiero Owner Wannabe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeDirect Link to This Post
Initial problem....headlights go up if I hold the switch halfway, if I push it in nothign happens. left headlight motor keeps running.
fix...another isolatiion relay and order rebuild kit for light.
ordered kit and got a relay from the bone yard.
Put the relay in, turn on the headlight switch and the driver side comes up and the passenger side comes up but motor keeps running on passenger side.
I attempt to start the motor and it dosnt have enough juice.
Remove the isolation relay completly and hook up a battery charger, still not enough juice to turn over motor, charging over night to see if that does it.
Would a motor tuning kill the battery that quickly or did I find a new short in the system somewhere when I put a good relay in? If so why would the short still exist when the relay is removed?
Any ideas?
Kinda fun working on this thing been awhile since I wrenched, remembering now that nothing is ever quite done.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
After charging and reconnecting the headlight system, observe the knobs on top of the motor and see if they twitch. Especially the one you rebuilt. Any Gen 1 headlight motor that continues to run has a stripped gear or the drive plate has come off the shaft.

If the one you rebuilt twitches or the knob gets very hot, check underneath the knob and see if the rubber weather seal is visible. It should be inside the case and not visible. This can cause the motor to not shut off or to reactivate.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixDirect Link to This Post
Also if you used the rubber things attached to the kit - they can cause problems too. When I rebuilt my motors they were just too soft and the motor when going fully down didn't hit the limit switch. So the motor was still getting current when it was down.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Cebix's reference to the black rubber things (bump stops) is definitely an area that can cause the motor to tick or try to run on. I sell an alternate set of bump stops that will eliminate the ticking. They are $10 shipped for 2 sets of 4 bump stops. Enough to do 2 Gen. 1 headlight motors.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
and to answer your question, YES a motor trying to run or clicking can kill a battery in one night.
Fiero Owner Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeDirect Link to This Post
It died in about 15 minutes.
Waiting for the kit.
Fiero Owner Wannabe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Owner WannabeClick Here to visit Fiero Owner Wannabe's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Owner WannabeDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Owner Wannabe

37 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Fiero Fool how do I order those parts? I dont want to take them apart twice if I dont have to.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
F-O-W, pm sent.

Cebix, pm replied

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock