88GT/MERA Won't Start? by Wayne Wm. Peterson
Started on: 06-04-2012 11:58 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Wayne Wm. Peterson on 06-17-2012 03:11 PM
Wayne Wm. Peterson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonDirect Link to This Post
I know this must have come up before, but not sure where to find it??
Here's the strange part of this: I took my well running Mera to the car wash, half way through the process it stalls, cranks but wont start, had to push it out of the car wash, and had it towed home. Dried it out, battery checks out OK, plugs OK, replaced Distb Cap & Coil, Fuel Pump OK, no blown Fuses. When it did start it ran rough and died again. Any Ideas will be appreciated, Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I have seen quite a few threads about Fieros that no longer ran after a car wash. Some of those high pressure brushless washes will shoot water right into the engine through the rear deck louvers, creating problems like this:

1. Water in the distributor cap.
2. Water in the ignition coil connectors
3. Water in the spark plug wires.
4. Water in the ICM connectors.

If the car will run rough and you have replaced 1 & 2, I suspect you have old cracked spark plug wires.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
The rear deck lid on a Mera is wide open. I would never take a Mera in a car wash. I put a large piece of roofing rubber on my engine/trans so all the water goes into the corners of the engine compartment and misses everything possible. I only wash my 88 Mera at home by hand with the rubber cover in place. I also try to limit the amount of water that goes on the rear deck lid even with the rubber sheet in place.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
Here's something funny.... Not quite sure since my 308 replica has a SBC - but is there a module in your distributor or is everything controlled by the ECM?

( I had an 84 MSE Trans-am with the functional air induction hood). The back flap would sometimes stay open and after / during a heavy rain, the car would stall (or not start) and it turned out to be the ignition module in the HEI that was fried). Happened about 3 times until I finally figured out what was going on. The weird thing..... it wasn't really "soaking wet" in the engine compartment. Wet? Yes. but not really soaked... I guess just wet enough in the right spot to short something out and "pop the ignition module".

I did actually have spark in a few cases but it really wasn't at the correct time / or just weak.

(and for what it's worth.... when it happened when I was driving, I always got a whiff of what I thought smelled like popcorn ! No Lie... I could never figure out why it wasn't an electronic smell. (Maybe someone used popcorn oil instead of the module grease....!)

I also had the same issue in my first (1986) Jaguar XJS V-12. The Lucas Ignition Module had a 5 pin GM HEI tucked inside the housing that was mounted on the valve cover where it got smoking hot and often wet. Same issue with that car.

Not familiar with your engine but just thought I'd bump the thread and toss that out there.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 06-04-2012).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Wayne,

I agree with Rodney. I only hand wash my Mera because of the open decklid. Because I do drive mine quite a bit, the engine does get dusty. When I rinse it off I do so with the engine cold, using low water pressure and a mist sprayer taking care to cover the distributor and coil. Then I dry off any areas holding water, and start the engine to evaporate any remaining I might have missed.

Do you have a stock or open element air cleaner? You might have got a little water in the air cleaner assembly, or even engine itself. If not, carefully unplug connections to the distributor, coil, and throttle body and blow the out with compressed air or a blow dryer. Also, remove each wire one by one from the distributor cap and do the same thing. You may want to remove the distributor cap again and blow it, and the inside of distributor out. Since you live where there is more humidity, you may still have some residual condensation inside the cap.

Try these fixes and let me know if the problem goes away.

Rick
Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonDirect Link to This Post
Nothing working yet, my gut is telling me a bad ground somewhere?
She cranks, you can smell the gas, but no start.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the pickup coil?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

Have you checked the pickup coil?

Do you know how to test for spark? If the pick up coil is ok, and there is still no spark, you may need to replace the ignition coil. The coil just died on our CRV. It exhibited the same smell of gas, with no spark. I instaled a new coil and it fired right up.

Another thing that you should have tested is the module inside the base of the distributor. You can remove it and take it to an auto parts store where it can be checked. These modules tend to fail without any kind of advance warning.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 06-14-2012).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post
If you are getting gas, check for spark at the end of the plug wires. If you are not getting a spark, I would suggest troubleshooting further up.

Check the cable between the ICM & the Coil, if nothing there, you can try changing the ICM on the distributor. Check distributor cap for warring, or corrosion.

I would suspect the wires or plug cables because it happened in the car wash & potential water.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Q1 - Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key on - but don't crank the engine?

Q2 - Does the fuel pump turn on again for two seconds when you just bump the starter?

Q3 - Does the tach rise to 200 rpm during cranking and then fall back to zero after?
Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonDirect Link to This Post
IT'S RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all that jagging around it turns out to be the ignition coil!
The only thing is I now have a "Service Engine Soon" light on, and she stalls at idle, still an improvement.

Thanks for all the help team'o!
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock