Oil Filter by Stainless1911
Started on: 06-02-2012 12:28 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: firejo24 on 06-05-2012 06:49 PM
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
My Fiero seems to have the oil filter in the pan, but when I went to the parts store, all they had was the screw in kind, and didnt know where to get a filter for it. I feel like a bit of a chump asking such a basic question as this, but where do you get one of these, and whats the part#?

I remember changing these while working in an oil change shop, but never owned one.

------------------
I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stainless1911:

I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed.

My Fiero seems to have the oil filter in the pan, but when I went to the parts store, all they had was the screw in kind....

It appears you have an '88 duke in your '87. Look up the oil filter for that engine.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Thanks.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post

Stainless1911

981 posts
Member since Apr 2012
What other issues/problems could this cause.

Could this start problems with the way it shifts?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Could this start problems with the way it shifts?

No. Change your transmission oil to Synchromesh Transmission Oil.
See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120129.html

Isuzu (tranny used with 4-cylinder) takes 2.5L
Service Manuals to look stuff up http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-02-2012).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 duke that I will be replacing with an 88 , while doing research on the diff I found out about the oil filter .
I was told they switched at the end of the production year of 87 to the in the pan filter
Napa and other parts stores show them instock
http://napaautoparts.com/Ca...=PSW21630_0242509802

hope this helps

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 06-02-2012).]

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
3 quarts of oil ???
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

3 quarts of oil ???

That spec sheet is awful. It has both engines wrong.

The correct answers are:

Vin R motor is 2.5 L and the oil capacity is 4 quarts, give or take the filter size.
Vin 9 motor is 2.8 L and the oil capacity is 4 quarts, give or take the filter size.

A little bit of history is in order.

the 84 Fiero (Vin R) was delivered with the wrong information and the wrong dip stick (3 qts.). GM realized this after a few engines ran low and put a rod through the side of the casting. They made a recall to change the dipsticks and replace any engines that were damaged by low oil. A lot of people got new engines. The bad information still is out there and from time to time people copy it on to new documents and publish them. The internet does not help in this regard.

The Fiero never had a 3.8 L engine from the factory. Only now does it seem like half the Fieros on the road have 3.8 L engines....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-02-2012).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
The chart is from the Owner's Manual (not sure what year) and is correct (with exception of LATER update to increasing oil for the Duke to 4 qts).

The 2.8L and 3.8L it is referring to is the crankcase oil capacity (not engine size) and has the conversion to (quarts) in brackets.
You'll notice ALL capacities listed in the chart are in Litres (Quarts).

But I can see how it can be confusing since people may not know which engine is the Vin 9 or a Vin R.

I posted it so Stainless can buy enough synchromesh oil for his transmission.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-03-2012).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification....it sure fooled me! Don't know why they used the Vin description for those 2 lines, but elsewhere they call them by cylinders.......

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-03-2012).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Thanks for the clarification....it sure fooled me! Don't know why they used the Vin description for those 2 lines, but elsewhere they call them by cylinders.......

Agreed. It should have said L4 and V6 instead of Vin R and Vin 9.

PFF
System Bot
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
GM uses the vin number because they don’t write documents and specs for specific cars (with regards to engine, transmission, etc…) but for the engines, trans, etc… I’ve got a factory manual for an 87GT with all kinds of info for things that the car never had but because the info was part of a larger document it wound up in the Fiero manual. For example, when I look up the fuel pressure spec, I get specs for both mechanical and electric pumps for both 4 and 6 cylinders (all the way up to 3.8) even though there was never a mechanical pump on a Fiero. For 87 they only wrote one document for fuel pressure so that’s what wound up in the book. Because they made several 4 cylinders and V-6’s the only way to identify them corporate wide was the vin. You get used to it. Foretunatly there is only one four cylinder (although it changed in 88) and one V-6 so in all Fiero’s it’s a vin R or vin 9. By the way, I hate the in pan oil filter. Make changing the filter a pain in the ass.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock