Sea Foam by Stainless1911
Started on: 05-29-2012 12:26 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Grantman on 05-29-2012 03:29 PM
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
I know about using in in the oil and in the gas, but I heard that you can use it to clean other parts of the engine with it as well, usually resulting in clouds of white smoke. What I want to know, is how this is done. I have an 87 duke.

Thanks.

------------------
I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
That is the result of running it through the intake/vaccuum system. Just pull off the the brake booster line at the front off the power booster and slowly add so not to stall the car, then let it sit after you emptied the can wait and run it and it should smoke. The directions are on the can but that's how I added it.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Awesome, thanks. I was wondering where to put it in, I never woulda thought about the brake booster.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't put it in the oil.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Why?

My understanding of it, is to put in in the oil, drive to the store to pick up the oil and filter, and change it out when you get home.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
When I first heard about Seafoam, I put it in my Jeep 2.5L with 300,XXX miles and drove it 100 miles round trip to work. Then when I got home realized that I should have ONLY ran it about 15 minutes to warm the motor per instructions. EWWW that was scary but my Jeep engine actually felt better afterwards. I have used it in the intake and the gas as well. I gave it the full treatment and it helped ever so slightly. A little better accelleration, BUT you are talking about a engine with over 300k miles. Anything would help it accellerate. LOL!

I've done it to my 99 Mustang and didn't feel anything.
TO me, it's worth a shot. It doesn't hurt anything on older cars. On the Infiniti's I have read where it will ruin the Cam Postion Sensors.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:
That is the result of running it through the intake/vaccuum system. Just pull off the the brake booster line at the front off the power booster and slowly add so not to stall the car, then let it sit after you emptied the can wait and run it and it should smoke. The directions are on the can but that's how I added it.

That will cause big problem if car uses booster filter in the line. 87-88 l4 and maybe v6 is ok...
but
l4 engine has booster line that goes to cylinder 4. You maybe get good cleaning on 4 but not so much on 1, 2, 3

L4 use EVAP line that give full vacuum at idle. Or try the EVAP port vacuum. Either will get all cyl clean evenly.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I wouldn't put it in the oil.

I've put it in the oil. However, I treat it like any other oil flushing/cleaning agent. I don't run the engine more than 10-15 minutes then drain.

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanDirect Link to This Post
In my motorcycles I've used sea foam in the gas and 1 quart of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. running the MMO for 50 miles at moderate speed then drain. planning to use sea foam in the gas in the fiero. maybe half a can because the gas tank is so small. use 1/2 a can or more in a goldwing and it will smoke pretty bad till it can be diluted with more gas.
Of course MMO in gold wings is used partially to keep the starter from gumming up. And that's all I"ll say about Goldwings on a Fiero user site.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock