Started on: 05-25-2012 11:53 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 06-19-2012 01:50 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so my 88GT has bad rings slipping clutch and an alternator that refused to come out. I had been putting off swapping in my spare 2.8 for months. Then Dawg a local Fiero owner and fellow PFFer needed the 3.4 pulled from his Fiero so he could send it out to get it rebuilt.

We struck a deal that we would help each other out. We would yard his motor out and get it off to the shop, then pull the 88 motor from my car and swap in my spare, then once his motor is back from the rebuild we would install it back into his car.

This is day one. May 25th 2012

His 87 GT.

My spare motor from storage.

Borrowed engine hoist and spare 88 Exhaust

My Yellow 88GT

My 4.9 and Fiero Chicks 85

His car up in the air.

Clynt's engine hoist. (Thank You Clynt)

Up in the Air, nose almost touching.

Engine Out.

Custom 3.4 Engraved intake

Lebaron Brakes with Caddy Calipers

What the F muffler resonator thing that will be thrown away, previous owner installed it.

Better shot of my V8

We hope to get it all done in 3 days, minus the install of his motor as it will take a few extra days for that to come back.

I'll try to update this thread every night, as we get more done.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-25-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
1. Thats alot of Fieros

2. Your neighbors must hate you (see #1)

3. Looks like you are well past needing a new roof (house)

4. You need a bigger garage (dont we all?)
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL, we had 2 more Fiero's parked out front LOL.

Actually neighbors come over to borrow tools for their own engine swaps in their 4wd off road hunting rigs.

Other neighbors come over for advice on fixing there other cars.

The pics of the roof are optical allusions. Its actually a fairly new roof. Nothing leaks even over hear on the West Coast Rain belt that we are in. However you are right in those pics its looks like every other shingle is ready to fly off.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-26-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Right on. Nothing is better than good neighbors.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
Wish i had someone by me who would help me put my motors in both of my fieros..... doin on your own is a drag. Plus they end.up on the back burners..
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ya good neighbors are nice, and I agree, working on Fiero's alone does get kinda boring. Always nice to have someone there to shoot the breeze with while you work.

Ok day 2 pics.

3.4 out on the picker

Hmm someone had a bit of an oil leaks

Loaded on my trailer, ready to go to the shop for a rebuild.

Empty Engine Bay. We put the cradle and suspension back in so that we could roll the car out of the way and get my Yellow 88GT into position for its engine to come out.

Hmm Wheel Gap must be a light load, LOL.

My spare engine for the 88, I was going to drop it into the car as is, but Dawg has convinced me that we should tear a bit apart to check things like bearings and such.

I got the 88 into the driveway and started prepping her, battery out, fuel lines shift cables, and other misc stuff unhooked or removed.

The donor motor. Its not an 88 motor, but I can take some solace it is an 85 Motor with slightly higher compression so at least it will be peppy.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Ok so Day 3 well we did not get the engine into the 88 due to some serious delays. However here are a few pics. For all the pics you can pop to, http://captfiero.com/doubleswap/day3

There are over 30 pics from the day and I did not want to post that many in this thread.

Ok 88 Motor out on the ground

Note the super small under drive pulley.

Up in the Air.

Damn Freaking, Cradle Bolt that spun. Had to cut up my nice 88 Chassie

Fiero Air Cleaner Hold Down Nut. Our club had a run of these done. They were painted when new, but the paint came off after a few years.

Main cap on spare engine, stamped 87. I thought it was an 85 Motor till I got a good look at the oil pan and realized it was not an early pan, and by the weighted flywheel came to the conclusion it was an 87 motor. Then seeing the stamped main. Confirmed it.

Was way cleaner than I thought for sitting in storage for the better part of 5 years.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Alright this may make the forum blow up, but this may be the single largest photo batch ever posted in one post. I believe there are 110 pics.

Pic from my desk in my garage looking out to the cars.

Can you spot the problem, look really close, I just thought I had a bad mount, and had been meaning to replace the front mount, guess it was not the mount.

So the alternator bolt refused to come off, no matter how much I torched it, pounded different sized sockets, and found it all to hell. I finally gave up and had Dawg weld a socket onto it, and I let the bolt have it, my impact gun will do 600+ foot pounds in reverse. So it was going to either come off or snap. You can see the results a few posts down.

Bracket all welded back together A HUGE Thank You to Damian aka Dawg.

Well after a quick peak at the motor, we decided out with the crank.

Bad bearings on the ground. Although I did not get any pics of him, Watts was the one that did the bearing installs for me, so another huge thank you to him for the help.

We also found out that the timing gears and chain were shot so a new set was installed. See further down for the nightmare in getting the crank gear off. But it did give me a good excuse to buy a new tool.

This shot shows how much bigger the High Volume oil pump is vs the Stock Unit. Its a much better pump, and the pickup tube is bolted on vs just pressed in.

Remember that alternator bolt, well the head sheered right off, even with me oiling and going forward backward forward backward. I ended up throwing the entire alternator and bracket into the scrap and got a spare bracket to use with the new alternator.

New Gear Puller, Damn I love this thing. In the pic its loose, when I was using it, I had it centered correctly.

New bearings installed, oil pump rebuilt.

Exhaust ports all cleaned up.

New Timing Chain installed

Various Stages of cleaning and painting the disgusting timing cover and water pump.

I love the Red and White Paint Scheme it just works. (Think Canada)

My Mother took Arianna, my daughter out for the day and came back around the side of the house to say Hi. Yes my mother drives a Fiero Too. Arianna, loves going out cruising with her Grandma.

Finally the motor is starting to come together. Oil Pan On.

Next repair for the Dawg, can you spot the problem. Yikes it was messed up. I guess that's why the clutch has always felt heavy since I got the car. I don't have any pics of the repaired finger, but he was able to build it up with his welder then shape it with my air grinder and its perfect.

Yuck Filler Neck

First Clean It up, 2nd, Torch it to burn off any oil and or antifreeze, then paint, and finally let air dry with a space heater.

The Fan switch in the old motor was busted, so I used my nearly new one from my 88GT and cleaned it up, taped it and installed it.

This was a side job, my mother said her car was having a hard time starting, and that she had to have a friend hold the battery "thingy" on to get it to start. I have never in my life seen a battery terminal corrode this bad EVER, the threads were completely gone, the leaded threads in the battery were also eaten away. Fortunately the battery was a dual terminal so I was able to convert that post to a top and everything is good to go.

Starting to really look like a motor. I did take the AC Bracket back off to clean it and clear coat it. You'll see in the lower pics.

The DAWG in ACTION, fixing the clutch fork. Thank YOU SO MUCH.

Now here are a bunch of pics of a Goodyear Gatorback Alternator belt. This is the ONLY belt that is perfectly reliable in any conditions even with bad pulleys on a Fiero, due to the cogs, as the belt wraps around a pulley it acts like teeth and bites into the pulley. They are amazing. From Alder Auto parts they are only 20 bucks. So I am really happy to be able to use them again. For the longest time I could not find a local supplier.

Dawgs Custom Ported Intake. This was the very first one he did. I took tons of pics so people could really look through them. The Big thing is there is no EGR port. I took lots of shots of both the ported and unported intakes. Notice that in the ported one you can see down the tube almost to the middle of the intake, but in the unported one you can't, its due to the way he cuts out the section of intake around the EGR port and welds a new section in, it greatly increases flow and smooths out the airflow. Now due to the fact that when this car goes back on the road, it will need to pass emissions testing first, I had to use my stock intake, but I'll swap back to this one later on.

As well as the Crank Underdrive pulley, I also have a 2nd Alternator Underdrive that slows the alternator down an additional 25% for a total reduction of about 48%. Don't worry I get full charge by 1100rpms. But I do have to watch it, when I have a lot of stuff turned on and the rad fan comes on at night.

Ok so I could not leave well enough alone, seeing as I could not use Dawg's intake, but I was using his 55mm throttle body, I decided to take the stock 52mm intake and port the hell out of it. I managed to get it opened up a LOT. It should flow much better than stock, and with the ported exhaust manifolds and fuel pressure bumped up a bit, should provide at least a few extra ponys.

Final Pictures of the night, that is how she sits currently.

I'll post more a when we get further on with the project. I hope to be installing it by this weekend.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 06-19-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
OMG It didn't blow up, alright I am going to go back and add info to the pics so you know what you are looking at.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock