Started on: 05-22-2012 11:31 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Raydar on 03-20-2013 11:46 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
When swapping ECM chips it is important to verify the chip is being inserted in the correct position.

1226869 - 85 2.8 ECMs

The 1226869 ECM uses a standard 24 pin socket. The problem is that the chip can be inserted in either direction with this socket. So it is VERY important to make sure to verify the direction of the notches in the center of one of the sides of the chip. Note - MOST electrical boards are made to have all the notches aligned in the same direction. Note the socket ALSO has a notch in one end of the chip.

Also when removing the 1226869 chip. Assuming you have a standard set of automotive tools, the best tool to remove the chip is a small straight screwdriver. Start by prying up one end till the pins are almost out of the socket. Then go to the other end and do the same. Be careful not to bend the pins. CAUTION - Trying to just pull the chip out vertically almost always ends up bending the pins on one end of the chip.

1227170 - 86-88 ECMs

The PROM chip on 7170 ECMs are in a plastic carrier. The old chip needs to be removed from the carrier, and the new chip installed in the new one. Note - it is possible to insert a chip into a 7170 ECM for testing, but with vibration, the chip WILL slide out of place. To remove the chip from the carrier - push the chip up into the carrier slightly to release the pins and then pry the plastic sides of the carrier away from the chip. It is difficult to remove the chips without damaging the pins.

When installing the chip in the carrier - The notch of the chip MUST be aligned with the notch of the carrier. If you reverse this, the chip will be destroyed.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-22-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
On removing the chip from the plastic carrier, I found that works well if you place one side of the leg part down on a hard surface (chip carrier at a 45° angle) and press it in a bit. This bends the IC's legs in a bit and releases them from the carrier - repeat for the other side.

The legs are easily straigthened back out with a set of needle nose pliers just buy inserting the entire row between the jaws and press together - this flattens the 'bend' out.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Raydar showed me a trick to remove the chip from its carrier. Use a tail light bulb, rub it back and forth across the pin side and they will release from the carrier's plastic retainer pins.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Heh... I can't claim credit for that. It actually came from Jazzman, but it works really well.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock