Coolant Overflow; What's the Cause? by Chubbs
Started on: 05-22-2012 10:05 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 06-08-2012 09:23 PM
Chubbs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
I've got an '86 GT (2.8) that seems to have a coolant overflow issue. It runs fine besides a stumble off idle when cold....runs great when warm.

During a drive, coolant temp is normal....perhaps even on the cool side. As soon as the car is stopped, the water flow stops, and the water within the engine block boils, forcing water into the coolant overflow reservior. The problem is, that it seems to boil off too much, and the reservior lacks enough capacity to handle the amount of coolant flowing into it. So the reservior overflows, spilling all the coolant on the ground.

Once the engine cools, the water inside condenses, and sucks all the coolant from the overflow bottle back into the cooling system. Once the overflow bottle is dry, it starts sucking air. After 3 or 4 trips, air bubbles invade the cooling system, and the water pump starts cavitating. The temp gauge spikes, and I'm lucky to get it home.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I originally had a tiny little coolant reservior, but i've replaced it with a stock one and it still doesn't seem to have enough capacity. Thermostat has also been replaced. The engine runs well besides this nagging issue, and I'm tired of adding water to it every time I stop.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Maybe time for a new radiator cap.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
First get a new rad cap. Have new one? maybe wrong one...
see my cave, radiator cap in coolant section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Chubbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
I have not replaced the cap, but it looks new(ish) and appears in good condition. I'll check it this afternoon and report back.

Thanks for the input.
Chubbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
So the radiator cap looks pretty darn good, and has a 16 psi rating on it. I don't believe that's the problem.

I'm going to pop the oil drain plug tonight just to see if it could possibly be a head gasket issue. I've noticed a very slight oil sheen in the coolant when it spilleld on the ground...not a serious amount, just enough to make a few rainbow colors on the surface.

I suppose the silver lining here is that if I can't get to the bottom of this relatively quickly, it's going to accelerate the timetable for my engine swap.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
The only way for coolant to get to the overflow is for the cap to allow it to go there. Is the cap on all the way ? Sometimes it feels like it went on all the way, but needs pushed down and turned a little more to get to the tabs.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Is this a 'vented cap' problem?
Chubbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
Cap is definitely on all the way, turned until the metal tabs hit the stops on the radiator.

Perhaps it's possible it's just the wrong cap? The rubber seal of the cap is on a spring that protrudes down into the radiator...do they make different caps with longer or shorter springs?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to just replace the cap anyways. I'm pretty baffled here. Cooling systems are usually so simple and trouble free, that I didn't think there was much to go wrong.
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like the exact problem I had with my '87 years ago. I second the thought of putting a new radiator cap on. On physical inspection, mine loked like new but was faulty. Put a new one on, fixed it instantly.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Go to the Ogre's cave and look up Radiator Caps. It gets complicated.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
You really can't tell if a radiator cap is good by looking at it.
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
The top of the cap should read NON VENTED. If it says vented it is the wrong one.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

The top of the cap should read NON VENTED. If it says vented it is the wrong one.

X 2!!! Make sure the cap is NON VENTED otherwise the fluid gets pushed past the light vacuum spring and fills up the overflow bottle and pours out on the ground.

Chubbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all that responded. I just thought i'd get on here and give everyone an update on the fix.

I replaced the radiator cap last week, and have now driven 400 trouble free miles, with numerous starts and stops in the middle. The problem seems to be fixed.

The previous radiator cap was 16psi, NON-vented....exactly like the new one that replaced it. The top of the cap is a different shape, but the inner workings were identical. All the rubber seals appeared to be in good shape. There was no reason to believe the old rad cap was the problem, and yet here we are. Replacing the cap fixed it, although I don't understand why.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
There is a thing called a spring that regulates the pressure in the cooing system. If that spring fails, then you have no pressure built up, and the coolant just flows out as it expands. That spring is in the cap and that spring fails on many occasions, that is why there are so many available to replace the old ones...
Chubbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChubbsSend a Private Message to ChubbsDirect Link to This Post
The spring on the old cap was in good condition. I don't have a fancy scale or anything to test the pressure applied by the spring, but just testing it with my thumb, the new cap and old cap springs seemed to have the same strength.

I'm convinced it must have been a rubber seal issue. Although the seal looks to be in good shape, that's no promise that it will actually hold pressure.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
I have had the seals go bad too, but there are two springs, one for main pressure and one for return flow.
Can you see a little brass disk in the center of the assembly? That is the return flow valve. It should be closed till suction from the system draws water back. Sometimes that disk falls off and makes it a vented cap!
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chubbs:

I've got an '86 GT (2.8) that seems to have a coolant overflow issue. It runs fine besides a stumble off idle when cold....runs great when warm.

During a drive, coolant temp is normal....perhaps even on the cool side. As soon as the car is stopped, the water flow stops, and the water within the engine block boils, forcing water into the coolant overflow reservior. The problem is, that it seems to boil off too much, and the reservior lacks enough capacity to handle the amount of coolant flowing into it. So the reservior overflows, spilling all the coolant on the ground.

Once the engine cools, the water inside condenses, and sucks all the coolant from the overflow bottle back into the cooling system. Once the overflow bottle is dry, it starts sucking air. After 3 or 4 trips, air bubbles invade the cooling system, and the water pump starts cavitating. The temp gauge spikes, and I'm lucky to get it home.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I originally had a tiny little coolant reservior, but i've replaced it with a stock one and it still doesn't seem to have enough capacity. Thermostat has also been replaced. The engine runs well besides this nagging issue, and I'm tired of adding water to it every time I stop.

Replace your thermostat just because its only a few bucks. That could be the culprit. If it isn't the problem, it just helps you eliminate all possible solutions.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock