Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Clutch Operated Neutral Start Switch - Busted?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Clutch Operated Neutral Start Switch - Busted? by NetCam
Started on: 05-12-2012 12:34 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-13-2012 10:04 AM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I was fumbling around trying to inspect my clutch pedal. There was a crack around the area of the switch, that from what I can make out keeps you from starting the car when the clutch is not depressed. I'm pretty sure I broke the switch, because now the car won't start.

Is there a way to bypass this switch temporarily, and is this a part that is still available if I need to replace it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
On the switch is a purle wire and a yellow wire...connect them to each other to bypass it.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I find don't like it anyway, I always just cut both wires and splice them together permanently. It starts just fine then.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the connecter with the yellow and purple wires off the switch and stuck a paper clip to cross the wires and it starts just fine now, so the switch is definitely not working. It was sketchy when I bought the car, now it's just plain busted.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post
The switch is incredibly complex, but I found that the plastic nut that lets you adjust it can become stripped. The crack you heard may be it slipping. If that's the problem there is a very cheap and simple solution - tie a bread tie behind the nut. It works for months, then you get a new tie. The wires are big and you need a good connection. The bread tie doesn't disable anything.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea, I find don't like it anyway, I always just cut both wires and splice them together permanently. It starts just fine then.

Me too. There as annoying as the bell that used to sound if you put something on the passenger seat without a belt. My fav was when it had a sensor in the seat and wouldnt start without the belt buckled if anything was on the seat. You had to buckle the belt to start the car even if you werent going to move it. That one luckily only lasted a year or two.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock