Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Is my cold start injector malfunctioning?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is my cold start injector malfunctioning? by edhering
Started on: 05-11-2012 10:27 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Spoon on 05-15-2012 10:21 PM
edhering

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
Okay, my 1985 2m6 V6 auto has developed a problem.

When the left-front caliper seized in August of last year, the engine was running just fine. I parked it in the garage for a few months while I dealt with a bunch of other stuff; when I finally got back to the Fiero and pulled it out of the garage to work on the brakes, it was not firing on all cylinders.

Today I took the dist. cap off and the inner terminals were corroded, so I used a brass wire wheel to get the corrosion off. The engine ran SLIGHTLY better.

Pulled the plugs to inspect them.

Rear bank of cylinders:

#1 looked more or less normal

#3 black and sooty

#5 black and sooty.

Front bank:

#2 was kind of black, but not very; smelled of gas.

#4 black and sooty

#6 black, sooty, wet, stong gas smell.

Cleaned the plugs, put them back in, started her up; she ran pretty much the same, so I started thinking about it being fuel rather than spark--and hit on the idea that it could be the cold start injector.

Am I stupid, or on the right track?

Thanks!

Ed
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I'll say stupid....
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I'll say stupid....

Yeah, but that's pretty much a common trait amongst all Fiero owners.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Before blaming the cold start injector, try these two things

Electrically unplug the MAP sensor and see if the engine runs better. If so inspect the vacuum lines to the MAP sensor. If the MAP sensor is getting full vacuum, but the engine still runs better with the MAP sensor unplugged, try replacing the MAP sensor.

The MAP sensor is the #1 sensor used to determine how much fuel to inject. If the vacuum line to the MAP sensor has broken down, or cracked the MAP sensor might be telling the ECM that the engine is at full throttle, and the ECM would be firing the injectors as such.

The other thing to look for is to pull off the vacuum line that runs to the fuel pressure regulator. If there is gas in the vacuum line, the FPR diaphragm is leaking and letting gas run directly into the intake manifold.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Could also be the coolant temp sensor. If it's telling the PCM that the engine is colder than it is, it will tend to run rich.
This will be independent of what the gauge is reading. They're two different sensors.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I will check these things at my earliest opportunity...which might be on Wednesday if something else doesn't come up.

Thanks!

Ed
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this will help. Remove the cold start injector and see if its wet. While your at it reconnect it at the fuel rail end and leave the injector end exposed. Remove the elecric connector from the injector as well. Don't start the engine but turn the key on and off several time to prime the system. If the cold injector gets wet you found your problem.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock