Started on: 05-10-2012 09:29 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: XgovernmentAgent on 10-11-2012 02:00 PM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So I am looking for how to (if possible) to wire the below alternator to the 98-02 3800 PCM.

http://www.discountstartera...n-0-124-425-064.aspx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2242747/WD_GM_037020.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A LT...p=mtr#ht_3062wt_1185

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-10-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Dear god, that complex for a freaking alternator?! I'm so glad I'm working with older stuff now....

BCM, ECM, and PCM?! Jeez....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The alternator isn't that complex, just the generator control circuit. Maybe as simple as wiring it like a normal two wire generator?

I would be interested to know also.
raccoons

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raccoonsSend a Private Message to raccoonsDirect Link to This Post
Here is the series 3 alternator connector schematic:

The series 2 PCM doesn't have a pin for the field duty cycle signal; I seem to recall a previous discussion on the matter ended with someone saying that one could just leave that wire not connected to anything. DarthFiero should know better than I, though.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentDirect Link to This Post
I believe the older PCMs cannot activate the S3 alternator because it needs a 5v PWM signal from the pcm. AFAIK the PCMs we can use for the SCII/III swaps are not capable of creating the correct signal to activate the alternator. Many headaches were involved in this discovery. A one wire alternator or a SC2 alternator will be going in place.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

I believe the older PCMs cannot activate the S3 alternator because it needs a 5v PWM signal from the pcm. AFAIK the PCMs we can use for the SCII/III swaps are not capable of creating the correct signal to activate the alternator. Many headaches were involved in this discovery. A one wire alternator or a SC2 alternator will be going in place.

Yep, found that out the hard way with the 06 125 amp alternator. It would work but only in limp mode charging barely above the minimum. If it's a two terminal alternator from early to late 2000 it's more than likely PWM controlled and needs the OE PCM for proper output. Anything with four terminals up to about 05 should be single wire capable.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 09-28-2012).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
You can always just replace the rear regulator piece with one that is the same style but has 4 pin connector to work it, have done this on a few swaps and it worked fine. If I remember correctly it was an 08 alt with an 03 regulator that I used on the last one I did. Dan

------------------

http://www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentDirect Link to This Post
The alternator from my 3500 swap was a direct replacement for the SC3 alternator. Odd to think an alternator from a 2006 motor is a easier design to work with than the one from the 2005 SC3.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock