Fixing broken shaft in headlight motor? by Arachnyd
Started on: 05-09-2012 01:41 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Timpilot on 05-12-2012 05:13 PM
Arachnyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post
The shaft in the headlight motor slips when I try to open and close the motor. Anyone have any luck fixing this? or do I have to shovel out 125-150 bucks for a new motor? (since its not going to be a usable core) .

since its normally the magnetic motor part that makes a core unusable, anyone know if I can just buy the shaft/gear combo/unusable core or know how they are sandwiched together?

[This message has been edited by Arachnyd (edited 05-09-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Can you describe this a little better? Are you trying to re-build the motor? What slips? By 'core' do you mean armature?
Also; do you know if this is a first or second generation assembly? (84-86, or 87-88)

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-09-2012).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
They aren't that hard to find, and usually not more than 40 bucks.
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Can you describe this a little better? Are you trying to re-build the motor? What slips? By 'core' do you mean armature?
Also; do you know if this is a first or second generation assembly? (84-86, or 87-88)

You have the metal shaft that goes through the motor. It is connected to the piece where the "inserts" fit in (inside the outside plastic gear). Typically on a rebuild you replace the outside plastic gear and the 3 "inserts", but in this case the piece that is broken is the shaft/piece the inserts interact with combination. When the plastic gear turns, the inserts turn the metal piece which is connected to the shaft which moves the armature. The motor turns the outside metal ring, and the metal ring will turn the shaft when theres no load, but as soon as you put a load in it the metal turns but doesnt turn the shaft (which then cannot turn the armature).

Hopefully fierodomain doesnt mind borrowing a photo... however, you can see here the metal disc inside the plastic disc (which is connected to the shaft that carries through to the outside of the motor). Its the connection between the two which isnt holding under even a slight load, but I can't seem to figure out how they are supposed to be connected to start with.

Thanks!

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

They aren't that hard to find, and usually not more than 40 bucks.

Any idea what they are called or where to start looking?

[This message has been edited by Arachnyd (edited 05-09-2012).]

firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
If that's not a pic of your motor what year is the car?
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:

If that's not a pic of your motor what year is the car?

same motor type, thats just not a photo I took myself. Its an 88 GT.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
The problem you're describing sounds like the problem I had with my daughter's '86 that had been converted to '88 headlight motors. I drilled through the pot-metal part and part-way through the shaft with a #30 drill bit.The drilling was easy with a drill press and a sharp bit. I then pressed in a 1/8" X 3/4" roll pin.
Has been working every day for about 6 months now.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post

Timpilot

138 posts
Member since Mar 2011
Found my post from when I repaired my daughter's slipping headlight motor:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120281.html
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Timpilot:

Found my post from when I repaired my daughter's slipping headlight motor:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120281.html

Thanks a bunch... this looks like the same issue you had, so I will try a similar approach to you! I'll keep you posted.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
For 1/8" roll pin, I probably should have drilled with a 1/8" drill bit. As an aircraft mechanic, I got used to drilling 1/8" rivet holes with a #30 bit and have a few of them in my tool box. A #30 drill is .1285 diameter which is a little large for a 1/8 (.125) roll pin.
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Timpilot:

For 1/8" roll pin, I probably should have drilled with a 1/8" drill bit. As an aircraft mechanic, I got used to drilling 1/8" rivet holes with a #30 bit and have a few of them in my tool box. A #30 drill is .1285 diameter which is a little large for a 1/8 (.125) roll pin.

Its all horizontal motion though so it shouldnt be a big deal. I was thinking I'd overdrill for the roll pin, otherwise risk unnecesary cracking...
PFF
System Bot
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
Good points. There's probably a "correct" grade of Loctite that would help keep the roll pin in the slightly oversize #30 hole. As I recall, the roll pin I put in was a nice press-fit in the #30 hole.
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post
Used the roll pin- Easy to drill out, and worked like a breeze. Used a 1/8" x 1/2" roll pin. Thanks so much! Now I have working headlights for the first time... EVER!
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotDirect Link to This Post
Good job. Congrats!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock