seat track bolts rusted to studs by jaredmurray88
Started on: 04-25-2012 06:07 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 84se2m4 on 04-26-2012 09:54 AM
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
as the title says my seat track bolts are rusted to the studs on drivers side how can i get them outta there! almost rounded off toocut em off and pound thru the pan and put new in or what?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
I had the exact same problem you describe although my car was a parts car with a leaky sunfrood with 6 inches of water. I rounded the heads off in a flash so I used one of these Ratcheting Bolt Remover

These are an absolutely amazing tool that got me out of so many jams with rusted and rounded off bolts. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by 84se2m4 (edited 04-25-2012).]

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
where did you find that nifty lil gadget

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
I had the same problem.. I used a similar model to this tool which attached to a rachet.. This tool worked on my rusted out rails on my passenger seat but failed miserably on the driver side. If it is stuck in a position where you cant get a tool in there than most likely going to have to cut it like I did... Check your crossmembers after you get the seat out.. make sure they are cleaned and painted.. I used rustoleum but whatever works for you is fine..
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
i tried the smallest socket i have and the thinnest quarter drive ratchet and almost had room but no dice the tracks work fine but dragging snow in probably rusted the front and i always drive with the window down even in winter probably did the back set they dont look too bad but just enough to be a royal pita

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I just use a cut off wheel. Use new bolts to remount it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I'd say use PB blaster, but your interior will stink for a long time.
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
I found that at a Canadian tire, It worked better than anything Ive ever used. The first time was to remove a stripped oil pan bolt I had been pounding on for days. When I used that tool it removed it in 2 seconds and i was blown away. I imagine you could probably find them at any tool store. I know they have that tool but in a socket and ratchet form.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock