Fiero38SC is Finally off the jack stands - Now to get it running by Fiero38SC
Started on: 04-22-2012 09:15 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Fiero38SC on 05-06-2012 09:53 PM
Fiero38SC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
Some of you may remember me from years ago, some may not. I think the last show I attended was in 2004. Some may remember my White 85 2M6 with the powder coated engine. I specifically say that, because it was one of the first anyone had seen powder coated. Others may remember the "Fiero Addiction" windshield banner. No relationship to Rockcrawl/Fiero Addiction. We just both came up with it about the same time and thought that was funny.

5000 miles after I had rebuilt the 2.8, put too much money into it, I got a rod knock. Fixed that and got another 1 miles before the next rod knock. This was just after the 20th anniversary show.

In 2002, I think, I had purchased my second Fiero from Rick Stewart. He was one of the first to install a Series II SC 3.8 and he used the Getrag. He is also responsible for the Z24 digital dash conversion.

So after a few years driving that car, it just needed too much to keep it on the road. Suspension and electrical issues were driving me nuts. So, there I sat with my 2M6 with a rod knock and the 85 with the 3.8SC that needed other work. What to do? I know!! Put the 3.8 in the white car. Sounded like a good idea at the time. I brought the XP cam for it and some other parts and started pulling things apart. But then I started spending more time with the wife and kids, and didn't care too much about the Fiero.

Fast forward, so now the kids are 10 & 8 and the wife has had enough of the car sitting in the garage. So much in fact, she claims it is one of the reasons she filed for divorce last August. So, now the house is for sale and the Fiero has to move out too. No, I am not selling it. No way, not going to do it. I sold the other 2
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
On to the nut and bolts of it.
Engine all painted and ready, well mostly.

Engine Cradle Ready too.

Helper installed, check.

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Fiero38SC

958 posts
Member since Oct 2001
And, it's in there!

Removed EGR & Boost Bypass.

Lots more stuff to do:
Wiring
Exhaust
Brakes
heater core lines
Vacuum lines
PCM reprogrammed

I had to completely take apart the wiring harness and start from scratch. I have the injectors, TB sensors, knock sensors, and temperature sensors basically done. I need new connectors for the AC, Crank sensor, Cam sensor, and I'm sure a few more.

Question of the day:
Fuel Pump Control Module - Is everyone using it or is the PCM programming taking care of duty cycling the fuel pump now?
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking swap! Wish I could offer any advice but I haven't the slightest clue when it comes to 3800's. Depending on when it's running maybe you can make a cruise we do around the area. Being in Reading, do you go to the Pagoda hill climb at all?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I can supply you with used and some new connectors as needed

When I wire a 3800 harness I retain both the oil pressure switch and the PCM controlled fuel pump relay.

I also use late model relays instead of the Fiero relays. The later model relays have more water resistant sockets. Most of the Fiero relay sockets are highly corroded.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121280.html

IF you are interested in purchasing a 3800 swap harness - http://reddevilriver.com

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-22-2012).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
I am able to figure out the wiring, no problem. I am just not up to speed on all the improvements that have been made on this swap over the years.

What is the best way to handle the firewall connectors? I'm not to crazy about splicing on both sides of the connector.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
There are not enough wire in the bulkhead fitting to work anyways

Put it in a coffee can 1/2 full of water and boil the water. Once it gets to a rolling boil you can take it apart easily.

When reassembling it I don't use the internal fork. I make the harness straight through and then let the end user put the cover on and then refill the bulkhead fitting with sealant. High temp hot glue will work.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-22-2012).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
With the top vacuum port blocked off, where is the best place to connect the brake booster line?

I managed to get a new shift cable installed that I had purchased a while back. I had another new cable that I thought was the Getrag select cable, but it is just not working out. I think it is a new 4-speed cable from the previous engine setup. Anyone need it?

With the EGR removed, what is the best way to block the hole in the lower intake under the TB? Will a simple flat plate with the one bolt work?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I always use the large port on the throttle body near the T-stat housing for brake vacuum.

You can just block the EGR with a flat piece of aluminum or steel bolted over the hole with some RTV.
firejo24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
How many HP's is the 9 year old?
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:

How many HP's is the 9 year old?

Close, she's 10. So that should be at least 1.5 HP.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Fiero38SC

958 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

I always use the large port on the throttle body near the T-stat housing for brake vacuum.

You can just block the EGR with a flat piece of aluminum or steel bolted over the hole with some RTV.

I don't remember seeing a port on the bottom of the TB. I'll have to look again.
Thanks,
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
I am not seeing a port on the bottom of the TB. Anyone have a pic?
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
It's under the TB. Follow the copper pipe from the egr to the intake manifold. Take the pipe out, put a penny with some rtv on it over the hole, cut the egr pipe, remove the hold down bracket from the tube and use it to clamp the penny in place.

Edit: Talking about the port on the TB for brakes? Are you using a N* TB or is that just a TB spacer?

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 05-06-2012).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
That is just a spacer. I guess I can use the port in it.

Thanks for the EGR tip.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock