Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero aftermarket steering wheel adapters (revisited)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fiero aftermarket steering wheel adapters (revisited) by Austrian Import
Started on: 04-18-2012 04:30 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Trinten on 06-17-2012 04:37 PM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
There is info in the archives, but I'd love to hear if there is any new information, or better methods.

How do I get an aftermarket steering wheel with an adapter that's flush. (vs.: sticking out 1"-2" because of the thickness of the adapter)

What brands can I choose from?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
What’s commonly overlooked is that the factory wheel sits on a hub that is a couple of inches deep so when you install an aftermarket wheel with an aftermarket hub more often than not it doesn’t stick out any further than stock and if it does it’s minimal. Also, the upper half of a Fiero steering column is one of the most commonly used steering columns in the world (it’s used in a majority of GM’s from the 60’s through the late 80’s, lots of Jeeps, AMC’s and aftermarket products). Because of that it’s one of the easiest to find adaptor hubs for. Also, The Fiero wheel is bolted to its hub with a six bolt pattern that is also same pattern on a lot of aftermarket wheels so you can attach an aftermarket wheel (if you get the right one) to a Fiero hub.
With that said, it’s actually easier to drive when the wheel is closer to you (look at race cars).
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
bet a grant bolts up..
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I have a NRG brand that is very thin. I believe it is a part number for a dodge but the splines are the same
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
Dodge is one of the manufactures that used the GM upper column.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I have a Grant wheel. It has a hub, and the wheel sticks out further. I know, because the blinker is further back.
Bluearmz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluearmzSend a Private Message to BluearmzDirect Link to This Post
http://www.amazon.com/NRG-S...id=1334400102&sr=1-1

------------------
Richard
1985 Fiero SE V6
1986 Fiero GT

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
My APC wheel came with a 3" long adapter section, but I was able to take it apart, keep the splined hub and then make a 1/4" steel pattern adapter. I need to take this one off and get some better pics.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfDirect Link to This Post
Grant also has "thin" adapter.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT Auto (Under the knife @ Sinister Performance... stay tuned. )
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2012 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

Grant also has "thin" adapter.

x2
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive used both the Grant thin and Momo adapters. Didnt make much of a difference from oem.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I just spent the past half hour searching, but could not find it? I did do a thread where I used the stock GT hub, and measured, measured, measured, then redrilled to fit my Grant wheel. Long arms, and there was no way that I could live with the adapter. Good luck with the mod.

Tony
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Where do you guys see the "thin" adapters? I only saw one adapter for Grant on Summit Racing and it looks like the one I have.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfDirect Link to This Post
Call your local NAPA. They can get you setup with what you need.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT Auto (Under the knife @ Sinister Performance... stay tuned. )
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I think you’re making way too much out of this. I put a Sparco hub (from Speedware Motorsports) on my 87GT and at 2” it’s 1/2” taller than the factor hub (you would be hard pressed to notice a difference while driving). However, if you insist, NRG sells a couple of quick release hubs that are designed to be short.

At Speedware, go to "Tuning and Track Equipment" and then "Steering Gear".

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
1/2" would be fine, but I'm pretty sure my adapter adds at least 1", maybe more. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten used to it, but if I had a choice I would love to have the steering wheel a bit further away from me. (My arms are long and get tired on long drives) I have the seat all the way back, but that makes it harder to press the throttle, or clutch all the way to the floor. (without slouching)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I'm still confused. Could you elaborate a bit on these adapters?

Specifically for Grant wheels, but include other's as well.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I used the billet Grant adapter for my Momo wheel. I just redrilled and counter-sunk some new holes in the wheel. My Momo has a leather center to cover all the screw holes... I was going to use the NGR but couldn't justify spending that much when the Grant was 1/3 the price... My wheel is very close to the stock position...

Also, keep in mind, some steering wheels may have a different offset to them; which may position the wheel closer to ya...

Kinda hard to see in this pic, but you get the idea

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I have done these. Grant sells a 1" adapter that puts the steering wheel about the same position as stock (first two pics below). Then as mentioned you can modify the Fiero hub and install the wheel to it (last three pics below).

Grant 1"

Stock Fiero hub;

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
I like the mod you made using the Fiero hub. It looks great. Nice job!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Maybe because it's late, but I'm not quite sure I understand correctly what you mean by "modify the Fiero hub". The pictures didn't clear it up for me.

I remember reading about using some part from a 3-spoke OEM Fiero GT wheel, but I'm nut sure what was meant.

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Maybe because it's late, but I'm not quite sure I understand correctly what you mean by "modify the Fiero hub". The pictures didn't clear it up for me.

I remember reading about using some part from a 3-spoke OEM Fiero GT wheel, but I'm nut sure what was meant.

Sorry. I don't have more pictures because a good friend did it for me to help me have car ready for RFTH. The stock wheel is riveted to the rear ring (hub) part. You take those rivets off and discard the Fiero wheel. Then you adapt your new wheel (drill, align holes, rivert etc.) to the stock ring.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Part number shown on the box is also the correct part for Fiero.
This short adapter will put a MOMO or Grant wheel, (depending on amount of dish), in the same appox. location as the stock steering wheel.
VERY nicely made adapter, but also pricey. (You get what you pay for....)
------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-27-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/3196/10002/-1 so this is the part I have on my Fiero. So is the NRG version significantly thinner?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/3196/10002/-1 so this is the part I have on my Fiero. So is the NRG version significantly thinner?

I really couldn't say.
There are no dimensions given in the link you provided.
The NRG adapter is approx. 1.375 - 1.500 thick and it's machined out of a soild piece of high quality aluminum.
It is nearly identical in thickness to the OEM part that is on the back of the Fiero steering wheel.

I've looked at the Grant adapters and have even used a few of them in the past and what I recall is that the main mounting piece is a zinc diecast part with a stamped metal, painted shell that covers it. They all looked the same if not very very similar to the parts in the picture in the link you gave.
Personally, I would NOT trust that diecast part, but maybe thats just me.
I also don't like the steering wheel to be attached to the adapter with just 3 screws,

(and, YES, I know the shear strength and pull-out strength of the screws and I have a pretty good idea of the yield strength of the adapter material, so we can just chalk this up to personal preference as well.....)
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

That is one part. This is the 1" one that will bolt to that one:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/st...107&filterid=c2763j1

This is the common one that will push the wheel towards your chest;
http://www.jcwhitney.com/st...106&filterid=c2763j1

This is a nice billet unit;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-h...975483977#vi-content

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 05-02-2012).]

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
not to thread jack but what is a cheap black wheel that will fit the fiero and same dimensions? maybe even a junk yard find?

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Well I do understand that part of the reason the bronze colored part that attaches the steering wheel to the adapter is so flimsy so it gives way in case of an accident. Kind of like the steering column is designed to collapse on impact. Maybe that's the reason the hub is made to break as well? :shrug:
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Alex4mula, thanks for explaining it with the links. I think I finally understand it. (sorry, I guess I'm a bit dense. )

The version I have right now is what came with the steering wheel, which is the accordion looking long piece. Getting rid of that extra length will make me so happy and will make for a more comfortable driving position.

Note: I put 1000 miles on the Fiero a week over the past few weeks, so the close steering wheel can be quite tiring.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

The version I have right now is what came with the steering wheel, which is the accordion looking long piece. ..

Yes. Discard that one and get any 1" version.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Followed thread, bought 1" adapter (aka. reducer), installed same day, acquired happyness.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 05-07-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but in case anyone finds it in the future - there are some instructions out there (courtesy of Mr. Mike) on how to modify things so some aftermarket wheels can go on without any lengthening adapters -

You can buy an aftermarket leather wrapped steering wheel from an auto parts store and adapt it to the original
hub. Doing this adaptation will keep the new wheel in the same position as the original (I hate those goofy adapter
kits that push the wheel 4 inches towards you). The hub is a round hockey puck shaped steel part that fits on to the
steering column. The steering wheel rim and spokes bolts (machine screws) to this hub.
A. Remove the horn button / remove the retainer clip / remove the large nut holding on the hub / remove the wheel.
B. Drill out the rivets holding the horn button ring & rear plastic collar, remove the screws holding the wheel to the hub.
C. Screw the new wheel to the hub, (you may need to drill holes in the new wheel to match with the hub). Use Lock-Tite.
D. Rivet on the rear collar and horn button ring, replace the large nut and retainer clip.
Be sure to buy a new steering wheel that has a similar diameter and NO "dish" (the distance between the hub and the rim
when placed flat on a table). The original Fiero steering wheel is flat and has no "dish".

(source: http://www.mrmikes.com/fier...htm#steering%20wheel )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock