Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Electric/Wiring Problem (Starter Related)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Electric/Wiring Problem (Starter Related) by StoneyRocket
Started on: 04-06-2012 03:35 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: StoneyRocket on 11-21-2012 07:48 PM
StoneyRocket

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StoneyRocketSend a Private Message to StoneyRocketDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I have a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.8L and i just recently pulled the motor and rebuilt it. The motor is put back in and the engine harness is hooked up but when i go to hook up my battery. The wire that is blueish/green color with a black one with a connector attached at the top post on my starter solenoid is getting super heated and it already melted the plastic off because it got so hot. I am pretty sure i hooked the starter up right, i have two post on my starter and the top one has my positive battery cable and two other fitted wires one pair is blueish/green paired with black and the other is red and black. The other post has two red cables one is bigger then the other and they both can only fit on the bottom post. I have tried all different combinations of those five wires and the only thing is get is when my key is in the off position the car gets some power but my fuel pump doesn't shut off so i cant keep it on i think the guy i got the car from wired it to where the fuel pump always runs when the key is in the on spot. That one wire that i said is getting hot runs up the wiring harness from the starter to some connecting block looking thing right beside the battery and is bolted to the side. I am open to all suggestions or ideas because i am out of them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
It sounds as though the previous owner did more than a little extra wiring. Here's what the starter circuit should look like. There should only be a rust colored wire (a fusible link) and a purple wire leading to one of the solenoid terminals, and the large battery wire leading to the other. I'm guessing that he may have had problems with the battery junction block (the junction near the battery) and ran a wire from the starter to it. I'd start by eliminating that wire and seeing what problems that cures and/or creates.

(Edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 04-07-2012).]

StoneyRocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StoneyRocketSend a Private Message to StoneyRocketDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply i was able to look at the diagram today and mess with it. I hooked up the conjunction thing beside my battery the way i read it from the picture and i got power to everything which was good. But then i started to crank the motor and it started to turn and i kept turning off the ignition and then try it again i did it 3 times. On the last time i tried to start it the car lost all power now i am back to nothing. I do have two fuses blown and i am about to replace them to see if that will change anything but if not then i am stumped. If you have any other suggestions i would appreciate it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
which 2 fuses?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Apart from Gall757's question, when you say "back to nothing" do you mean no power to anything or just to the starter? Also, which transmission do you have?
StoneyRocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StoneyRocketSend a Private Message to StoneyRocketDirect Link to This Post
When i said back to nothing i ment that i have no power meaning no electric. I was messing with is some more and hooked up a new battery and re did the positive and negative terminals to the battery. I have power and i started the engine. But something still isnt right because i hooked up a timing light and it was fying my computer in my car.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to help but you're going to have to be more specific when you describe what the symptoms are. Which two fuses blew earlier, and what happened to make you think you were frying your computer?
StoneyRocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StoneyRocketSend a Private Message to StoneyRocketDirect Link to This Post
I have solved my problem with the wiring awhile ago, but i just recently has some time to post back it was a ground wire that was suppose to be attached to one of the starter bolts.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock