LED tail lights :) by cypherbane139
Started on: 04-03-2012 09:41 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: cypherbane139 on 04-04-2012 05:10 PM
cypherbane139

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
hello pff, as i wait for money to roll in so i can finish my engine, i decided to tweak on my tail light idea. i have finished the stop light portion of the board, mocked up the turn signal board, and have some ideas for the tail light portion. but for now i'll show you the stop light, keep in mind this is tinted too, so its normally completely black, and these are as bright if not slightly brighter than the old bulbs.

i used 20,000 lumen, or however they are measured. i might go for a higher brightness when i go for the notchback ones.

ignore the dumbass in the red
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Ew ew ew!! lol.

How many bulbs in each circuit? How many ma is each bulb rated? What's each bulbs rated output voltage? What resistor value are you using?

Basically any specs on the bulbs, resistors and layout?

TY
Andrew
cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
4 bulbs, with a 100 ohm resistor, and like 27 of them across. i forget the amp for them, but i got some voltage regulators that were rated for 1.5, and i remember thinking that was enough for each circuit. even though i ended up not using them >_> they are 20,000 MCD
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cypherbane139:

4 bulbs, with a 100 ohm resistor, and like 27 of them across. i forget the amp for them, but i got some voltage regulators that were rated for 1.5, and i remember thinking that was enough for each circuit. even though i ended up not using them >_> they are 20,000 MCD

Hmmm cool. Thanks. Nice work BTW. I'm all bout them LED's.

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
This is what I wanted to do with my tail lights!!!

Are those 5mm bulbs? If 10mm would fit, I think they'd look even better. Ugh I wish I still had a fiero to play with
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
So, can we see tha back side?
cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
sure! hang on, im actually in the middle of adding more leds to the bunch.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Bahhh! Nice. Is that some sort of motherboard material? Me likes, alot!
cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
just prototyping board. i got 10 of them for 12 bucks off ebay, 400 of those leds for 25 bucks, and the resistors for almost nothing
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
Did you get the LEDs off ebay as well? That's significantly cheaper then I've heard people source them before. Have you considered marketing these? I would be interested
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased LED's from ledshoppe.com , I used online code YABEPG and got 10% discount. Was around .08cents a bulb IIRC.

Haven't recieved them yet...waiting bites!

Prolly lots of other sources, just the one i used..
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

4 bulbs, with a 100 ohm resistor, and like 27 of them across. i forget the amp for them, but i got some voltage regulators that were rated for 1.5, and i remember thinking that was enough for each circuit. even though i ended up not using them

I suggest you do more research...
LM317 works in voltage OR current regulation.
You get much better result using them.

example See www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...120111-6-065459.html

See also LED poison in lighting section in my cave.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
Thanks ogre, that would be nice! And yeah the thought of selling these did cross my mimd, but I want to see how they stand up to the test of time. Im only doing the tail, stop and turn for now because I dont have reverse lights (tr anny swap before I owned it). These are pretty labor intensive, and I would need the lenses send to me to keep costs down.

edit: yeah i got the bulbs off ebay too. i hope they last, they were on par with what you payed, around $0.08 per led

[This message has been edited by cypherbane139 (edited 04-04-2012).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

yeah i got the bulbs off ebay too. i hope they last, they were on par with what you payed, around $0.08 per led

I've been reading up on vibration issues and LED's. Also theres some discussion on how all LED's are NOT created equally. Some loose their brightness rather quickly, some fail quickly. Guess time will tell.

Edit... solder much? What type solder you using? How are you planning on keeping moisture away? I've read that using things like rubber cement will work, dunno.

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-04-2012).]

cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
Well I was going to use some rtv to cover the back of the board, and use some of that goop that seals the tail light to seal the edges where they meet the lens. The vibration thing has me worried too. We will see how my set holds up >_>
Edit: quick search says they are naturally pretty vibration resistant.

[This message has been edited by cypherbane139 (edited 04-04-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock