Started on: 04-01-2012 03:59 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 04-03-2012 02:47 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
I will be putting the WCF 3800 headers from a car I just brought back from Michigan into my own car. However, when the crossover pipe is connected to the rear (firewall side) header, it is almost .5" too far from the other header. I am leery about forcing the two pipes together before clamping them, for fear of creating stress that will cause a break. Is this type of mismatch normal?? Any suggestions on how to overcome it?

thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
wcf headers should be thrown in the scrap bin.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
While I don't have a 3800, I have read more than one story about cracked WCF 3800 headers.
Of course, all of these cracks "were the result of how they were installed".
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
This is normal for WCF headers but should not be. The set I ran for sometime was the same way and had to be somewhat forced to fit. Be sure to run a flex in ur exhaust and insure you tune is on. Dont be suprised when they crack around the welds on the primaries.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
You guys are depressing thanks!

I can't for the life of me understand how headers can be made on a motor and then not fit. Perhaps they are removed before they cool down from welding?

fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I have bought 1000$ worth of WCF stuff and None of it fit like it should have and took months to get.Thanks
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Gee... I've never heard any of this stuff before.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust is on a car right now but has not yet been fired up. The original owner says there is supposed to be a gasket of some type between the crossover pipe and the front trunk side header. Hopefully I can find it. Is this a part that others received with their kit?

Hopefully I will have good luck with this exhaust. I really don't like running without a catalytic and do not want to cut my trunk, so my options were limited.

I do have the "Marmen" clamps..will have to look around for the other parts http://www.westcoastfiero.c.../3800_series_ii.html
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Best of luck with them you'll need it.
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Peter there is a gasget between the Y and both headers depending on which size your headers are i can get them my headers on my car are 2inch into the y yours might be 1.5 ither way the gasgets are available dont use the marmon clamps on Y pipe
the headrr to y pipe gasgets are thick i have some at my shop

As for all the hipe on WCF headers YA OR NA !! I say YA they work well on our cars mine flow realy good keep stock exhaust route !! If installed right with the weight of the rest of the exhaust not hanging off the Y pipe they are fine !

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I was very impressed with Duane's headers from WCF's, I just ordered the same set to use with my Borla cat back system.
PFF
System Bot
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of WCF headers on my 3800. I had no fitment problems. The flanges were 3 bolt. I installed copper gaskets in lieu of the fiber gaskets and used self–locking nuts. Did not have to cut the trunk. System worked well.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I've run into this issue as well (the excessive gap due to the crossover section of the Y-pipe being too short with the WCF headers setup). What I've been doing is cutting a section of their "crossover" pipe out and welding in a flex/expansion joint so that "crossover" section can expand with heat and contract when it cools WITHOUT putting stress on the headers themselves. Probably saves the headers from cracking, but I've never had a set stay around long enough to verify that (all were put on customer cars).

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 04-03-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock