aftermarket exhaust on ebay. by outlawfiero17
Started on: 03-30-2012 12:55 AM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Heinz_57_Fiero on 06-17-2012 07:18 PM
outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moo...em588f4fed5a&vxp=mtr

browsing ebay looking for stuff to buy and came across this. looks o.k. if i had the extra $$$ id get a set and see if its worth the money.

i was planning on making my exhaust this way anyways with the flanges and such. only downfall i see is the gaskets provided look like thermostat gaskets.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
i actually bought one and received it rather quickly. i don't intend to use it as it was made, but it was a good base for what i want to do. the tuding is polished and the welds loog very good (i would say it was tig welded) as the welds are very neat uniform. i plan to cut the cat converter eliminator pipe and put a cat inbetween the two flanges. i also plan on cuttung out that funky "Y" pipe near the end and put a single bend and use one muffler. the only thing i didn't like (but i know it was made this was to mount up the the stock fiero Y / down pipe) is where the ball flange is. they welded in a 2" ball flange. when and if i do the 3800 sc swap i will cuth that out and weld in a 2.5" ball flange.
also if you check his ebay store he has them from time to time on aucton for $199 plus like 50.00 for shipping. that is what i bid and luckily no one bid on it. my total price was 248.99 shipped.
al
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
I did bid on the 199 auction. I have a y pipe setup right now but it was home made and doesnt fit like i want as i have it all hacked together. I plan to do something similar with my cat but instead make my cat the same lenght with the flanges and have it easily swapped for emissons testing.

One thing does remain. Where do the tip portions end? How much room do i have for tips? I currently have some hooker glasspack twins on and while i love them the raspy sound gets annouying sometimes.
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post

outlawfiero17

1450 posts
Member since Jul 2009
could you post a pic of the kit you received?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlawfiero17:
.. only downfall i see is the gaskets provided look like thermostat gaskets.

Agree. That looks very nice but for that price they should have added some good V-band clamps instead of those cheap two bolt ones. Those will leak for sure. I had that exact same setup back in early 90s from when it was sold by the Fiero Store. Had a cherry bomb instead of CAT and resonator tips. The sound was very mean and aggressive. Loved it until it rusted out (not SS). Then I put the stock muffler back and was happier with the quietness
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
As for leaks, I plan on using gaskets...should be fine. Also the set up is stainless so for what I paid I think it is very reasonable...I can post some pics...but what u see in the pics on ebay is what you get, plus bolts ect. The idea of setting up a cat and keeping the cat delete pipe is great...glad you gave me the idea. If you want any measurements...let me know. It is in my basement right now so it will be easy to do.
Al
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
I just was curious as to what options id have for tips? Ive always liked the flat style tips. Does anyone make a flat style with glasspacking? Or a short muffler style? Hard to explain.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

As for leaks, I plan on using gaskets.....
Al

Well that is the way it is designed to work. I have a three bolt flange connector in one of my exhaust and it leaks sometimes. Try using some thick graphite gaskets that they sell now (kind of like the ones in the link below). I'm sure those thin paper MR Gaskets ones won't last long. Telling you form experience

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vib...p=mtr#ht_2043wt_1000
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
I think you have about 15 inches to work with and resonator tips like the ones pacesetter made might work but will be loud I'm sure. I will take a measurement after work and check my estimate. But the pic on ebay is accurate. The tail pipes however looked kicked out toward the outside of the body on ebay. The one I have does not look as bad at all.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
alex,
yea i had the three bolt setup on my old z28..same problem but i put an all metal exhaust gasket in and for lack of a better word, sanded down the flanges and that worked. the gaskets supplied with this kit are metal exhaust (with the dimples on the flat surfaces) type and look to be almost 1/16" thick. if i have any problems i think i can fix them. i am not trying to sell this item but i see guys are skeptical ( i don't blame them) but for under 250.00 i decided to try it out. it really looks to be good quality with good pipe thickness. i plan on using a flowmaster 40 series and adding another outlet which is 4" x 9.5" x 13" long. the 80 series camaro muffler is similar but it is 15" long. both come in 409 stainles but the no muffler thing doesn't work for me. i also i am not sure which year this is set up for as the part with the ball flange doesn't rise up very much so the down pipe must be long or i will have to add length to that area. that doesn't bother me as i wil be removing the 2" ball flange and putting in a 2.5"when i do the 3800 swap. i will add my results to my thread when i get around to the exhaust (if i ever finish the wide body). with all the extra work it should still be less than if i bought west coast fiero's cat back system in 2.5 which is 875.00. (i am not knocking west coast..they build good stuff from what i have read. i just need to start saving some cash. btw..he has another 199.00 system on ebay with one bid on it. i noticed he has been doing that lately. if it turns out that it works then i ma have saved some money...if not i'll be ordering one from west coast and will have pissed away 250.00 (ouch).
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 03-31-2012).]

outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
The one with 1 bid just happens to be the one im bidding on.
PFF
System Bot
Heinz_57_Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Heinz_57_FieroSend a Private Message to Heinz_57_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if a muffler could be modified with flanges to bolt into the section of pipe where the cat normally resides?
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
Probably.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
That piece with the flanges on it, where the cat would go, is actually like a tube resonator or mufflet...it is a double wall pipe and the inner pipe has perforations in it like a glass pack. I'm sure it will be loud as you know what. I am sure you could cut off the flanges and slip in something like a flowmaster power flow muffler. I got stuck at work till 4 am last night and tonoght so I didn't get measurements. If I don't sleep all day today I'll measure that to. In new jersey we have to have a cat so that isn't an option for me.
Outlaw good luck with the bid.
Al
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Ive been looking at the exhaust system for a while. I was also thinking of putting a nice polished magnaflow muffler in place of the cat but could never get measurements of flange to flange to see if it was possible. Any pictures of it installed? How did it fit?

Jason
Heinz_57_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Heinz_57_FieroSend a Private Message to Heinz_57_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of using the Magnaflow as well. I'm looking forward to see what the measurements are, and some pics.
85red2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85red2m6Send a Private Message to 85red2m6Direct Link to This Post
I like the oversized pipe and especially being stainless, but the "Y" pipe at the back doesn't sit too well with me... shy of running extremely short bottles or just straight pipe, there is no way to put mufflers on either of those tips without them sticking WAAY out past the back bumper. coming from someone who's spend plenty of time with a stock GT exhaust setup in the last couple years, I can tell you that as long as those bends are in the same location as stock (which they would have to be to clear the trunk floor and the body under the bumper as there is not enough room to re-locate those bends), you would have about 8 inches from the ends of those pipes to where the stock exhaust tips would end.
So unless you want straight-pipe, or you know some really short bottles, the only place you could fit a muffler is in place of the cat... and that's not much room to fit anything big enough to be decent sounding.
The fact it is meant to bolt in to existing factory connections is great, but I'd say not enough thought went into how to put mufflers on it, and before I spent money on it, I'd be asking the seller about it...

Just my $.02, lol

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2.8 Auto - Blackie
1985 Fiero GT 2.8 4-spd - Goldie II - To be driveable this season
1985 Fiero SE Targa - 3.8SC - long term project
1987 Cavalier Z24 2.8 5-spd - daily beaten driver
1993 Bonneville SSEi - 3800SC donor for 85 Targa

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
ok i got to take some pics and measurements but i think people are missing the point so....the system on ebay was never advertised as a street system. it was designed as OFF ROAD USE ONLY with no provision for a cat or muffler. i have a 1987 gt with a mad arch wide body (almost done). i plan on one day doing a 3800 sc swap. i don't want to spend the 875.00 for the west coast fieros 2.5" stainless cat back system right now (funds are running a little low) and i really like to trying to make / improve on things available. who knows this might flop which means i will then order the west coast fiero system, it is a nice looking set up but again i like to do this type of stuff. so... i bought this as a good base system with most of the bends and pipes already made. i, as i stated earlier in the thread, plan to cut out the funky "y" pipe near the muffler and weld in a bend and use a muffler in the stock location. also in new jersey i have to have a cat...so i will also put one in the stock location.
now for measurements and a few pics.
first a pic of the system on ebay

now a pic of the fiero system

the cat pipe from end to end is 14 5/8" long including the flanges.

inside the pipe

if you cut the flange off the bend pipe that connects to the y pipe / down pipe (whatever you call it) you still have 2" before the actual bend. plenty of room to slip on something. if you cut the flange off the other end that bends towardthe rear of the car, you still have 3" before the bend which would leave you about 18 1/2" for a cat or muffler like the flowmaster hushpower shorty seen here: http://www.flowmastermuffle...=1&sub=75&sc1=Street Mufflers&sc2=HP-2 Series&sc3=&sc4=
now i measured my fiero tips from the and of the chrome tip to the inside (rear side)of the of the pipe coming out of the muffler and got about 14" however the tips on my wide body bumper sit about 3" under the edge of the bumper so if you wanted to use a small race type muffler like this http://www.flowmastermuffle...at=4&sub=25&sc1=Race Products&sc2=Outlaw Race Muffler&sc3=&sc4=
and fabricate a stainless tip on it it might work but again that is not what i am doing.
sine i have been on this forum i have developed this theory (and i credit all those here that do and have done what i am going to try, for infecting me with this BUG lol)
nothing is impossible if you have a good welder, good tools, the desire to try it and some good friends to help out when you "F" it up!
hope all this helps.
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 04-02-2012).]

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Direct Link to This Post
I wish they would make a version that comes with stock muffler location, I would buy it.

Since this is 2.5" it seems like it would also be suitable to mod for a 3800 swap.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
I agree. I guess there is not enough of a market so no money in it for the maker.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-02-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
I hope you don't plan on driving your car on the street if you get it; particularly if you're in California. You likely won't get a smog ref to pass you without a cat and muffler installed. It'll also probably be a bit too loud for everyday driving. I can imagine it would have an annoying drone while cruising at normal speeds.
PFF
System Bot
ShaneSAW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaneSAWSend a Private Message to ShaneSAWDirect Link to This Post
Any good 4cyl systems?I see the fiero store has stock and one under performance for the 2.5. Any others ....
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I hope you don't plan on driving your car on the street if you get it; particularly if you're in California. You likely won't get a smog ref to pass you without a cat and muffler installed. It'll also probably be a bit too loud for everyday driving. I can imagine it would have an annoying drone while cruising at normal speeds.

I plan to make a cat to swap out for smog. I have to get my car referee'd anyways for my dis swap.
85red2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85red2m6Send a Private Message to 85red2m6Direct Link to This Post
edit for double post

[This message has been edited by 85red2m6 (edited 04-03-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShaneSAW:
Any good 4cyl systems?I see the fiero store has stock and one under performance for the 2.5. Any others ....

Any good exhaust shop should be able to make one. But honestly, unless you're increasing displacement a fair bit, or just doing it to replace worn out exhaust, looking at cat-back systems for the Fiero is mostly worthless. The big flow penalties are in the manifolds (and Y-pipe for V6). Once the air gets passed those bumps, it's a pretty free flowing system. If you want performance, start up top.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
Dobey is right...don't try to go too big with a 2.5 stock 4 cyl. you can actually loose power. i had an lt1 z28 that i did intake and exhaust work, on actually more that just that,. i did the larger exhaust first because the top end included 1.6 roller rockers a new intake ect. the larger exhaust actually lost some power so i put in a restrictor plate till i did the top end the next week. i like stainless and i like to hear my exhaust but i don't like it too tinney or raspy. i don't really know the fiero store systems but they look good and the mandrel bends are better for flow than the crimped or ribbed bends like some of the walker and dynomax stock type systems which there seem to be a few of on ebay.
Red87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Red87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
i just had an exhaust made for my car that is almost exactly the same as this. just has a flowmaster 40 series mounted in place of the CAT and is 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2". the guy even welded new rubber hangers for the whole exhaust instead of those springs GM used. and it only cost me $200 for the Y pipe back.

here is a hint as to what that one may sound close to.
http://www.youtube.com/watc...brHpEn9B-v0Hk5rxQ%3D

------------------

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
sounds good...wish you would have reved it up a little.
thanks
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
well i won the action. should be here soon. i will post pictures during install and maybe a video if i can figure out how to work youtube.

b.t.w. this was the first time i have ever BID on ebay. ji keep thinking the other bidder was the seller under a different account and was jst trying to drive the price up. is there a way to find out?
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
i usually check the bid history and there is a way to see the percentage of bids with the seller that a bidder has made. the chinese sellers tend to do that and when you check the bid history you will see very high percentages if not 100% bidding with the seller. i can't speak for this seller but when i got mine no one else bid and they sold it to me for the bid price. i also found 9" 304 stainless glasspacks on ebay for 29.99. they need some mod work but i may try something like this https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121810.html
with a shorter tip, maybe an oval or rectangle.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlawfiero17:

well i won the action. should be here soon. i will post pictures during install and maybe a video if i can figure out how to work youtube.

b.t.w. this was the first time i have ever BID on ebay. ji keep thinking the other bidder was the seller under a different account and was jst trying to drive the price up. is there a way to find out?

The key to winning is to place your bid within the last 5-10 seconds of the auction.
PFF
System Bot
littleblackpontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for littleblackpontiacSend a Private Message to littleblackpontiacDirect Link to This Post
Yea well it used to be $199. Now they have jacked the price to $324
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
Well i got it....i installed it.....i freaking love it. A little on the loud side but i love the low grumble it give my car. I ended up using universal hangers mounted to my truck. THATS RIGHT I BOLTED MY EXHAUST TO MY TRUNK.

At least it doesnt leak now
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
outlawfiero,
did you use any muffler set up? and please post some pics. the guy listed another one at 199.00 a few days ago but i don't know if anyone bought it. i picked up two of these

inside view

for about 60.00 for the pair and plan on using these with custom oval / rectangular stainless tips and i have to use a cat so the little resonator where the cat goes will be replaced with a spun metal cat.
slipped on the end

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 05-02-2012).]

outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
No i didnt use any muffler. Just the supplied. It has a deeper tone. And does have considerably more power ill post pics next time im under it.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
great...i'll be watching for them..
by your description, i think i am really gonna like this system, i like loud and the fact that i have to use a cat will quiet it down as well as the resonator bottles. i probably won't wait for the 3800 swap. but when i do that i can just pull the front section and take out the smaller ball flange weld in the 2.5 flange.
thanks for posting your results.
al
outlawfiero17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
Ill try to post installed pics when i can. If i knew how id post a video of how it sounds. It does need some sort of tips. Something to kill the feedback of decel. That and im currently having driveability issues so im sure its not as great as it could be. But i do have great power all the way up to redline.

Edit to add hardware. You need to add washers. I used 3/8 washers on both bolt and nut sides. And the cownpipe tab for the springs didnt work right so i bent mine up out of the way. Then of course mine is bolted to the sides of my trunk (not pretty) but i ran out of options ill fix it when i get tips put on.

[This message has been edited by outlawfiero17 (edited 05-01-2012).]

Heinz_57_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Heinz_57_FieroSend a Private Message to Heinz_57_FieroDirect Link to This Post
bump

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock