Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 Swap Harness Relays (or stock harness relays)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3800 Swap Harness Relays (or stock harness relays) by phonedawgz
Started on: 02-24-2012 12:35 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: CC Rider on 02-17-2013 01:00 PM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to go over a good solution for swap harness relays. These relays can also be used for stock harnesses.

What is the problem with the stock relays?

Stock relay connectors are not of a sealed design. GM instead applied this nasty black sealant to try to weatherproof the relay and socket. Many troubles come down to bad relay to socket connections. If this design is no kept on it's hanger the relay base will fill with water when hanging by it's wires.

A better solution

GM used these component relays in the 90s on up. They can be found on 95+ full sized 3800 GM cars

12077867 - SPST
12077864 - SPDT

The gray relay on the left is SPST. The black one on the right is SPDT.

The relay sockets

SPST - GM Part # 12129716 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...fSpg%3d%3d&tab=Notes
SPDT - GM Part # 12110539 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...qUOA%3d%3d&tab=Notes

The secondary pin lock clip and the relay secondary key

Secondary Terminal Retention Clip - GM Part # 12110540 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...l5NQ%3d%3d&tab=Notes
Key Lock - GM Part # 12052834 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...fKug%3d%3d&tab=Notes

The terminals

12 - 10 Ga - GM Part # 12110853 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...KYw7537H8%252buNc%3d
14 - 12 Ga - GM Part # 12110845 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...KYVeuM0ozi%252bc0%3d
16 - 14 Ga - GM Part # 12129409 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...j7tED%2faJZ4t8V5s%3d
18 - 16 Ga - GM Part #12110847 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...PTj7tEurDIPfTwGD0%3d
22 - 20 Ga - GM Part #12110846 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...2ffh71IENkmAlqfYU%3d

Seals

12 - 10 Ga - Blue - GM Part # 12015193 - http://www.mouser.com/searc....aspx?R=829-15324981
16 - 14 Ga - Gray - GM Part # 12010293 - http://www.mouser.com/searc....aspx?R=829-15324980
20 - 18 Ga - Green - GM Part # 12015323 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...bzbg%3d%3d&tab=Notes
24 - 20 Ga - Purple - GM Part # 12089679 - http://www.mouser.com/Searc...aqXA%3d%3d&tab=Notes
22 - 20 Ga - Red - GM Part # 12015899 - http://www.mouser.com/Produ...ULLAfKm5f6Onvs4XFmif

Proper crimps with seals

Of course you can use the wires you harvest with the relays from the bone yard.

A good crimp tool

Yes they do fit on the stock Fiero relay hangers

-----------------------

Yes these are the relays I use when I make my swap harnesses

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-24-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I have never had any issues with the stock relays but do like the ones you are using because of the ease of unplugging them. The stock ones are a pain and like mentioned the black goop is a mess on them...
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post
Those are what I use now as well. I agree that they are a nice choice over the stock relays.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I tossed the stock relays for better ones, but they are now inside the cabin, so weather proofing is no longer necessary in my case.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
newer style are better and the same type I use on my harnesses, they were also used on early 90's GM vehicles. Dan
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I have new style relays that are from a newer GM car and had the rerouted from stock location to over on strut tower by batterie trying to keep all wireing to one side of the car
,88 fan relays are the style i used, the come with new mounting hardware .
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
bump
slicknick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
There is really no reason NOT to use these guys in your swap. The new pins are pennies from Mouser and every GM car from the mid 90's on used these things, so they're super plentiful in even the crappiest junkyards.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I setup a new power center on my 3800SC swap that utilizes the 03 GTP fuse box that contains the Fan, A/C and Fuel Pump relays. Since everything is already connected to the GTP harness it becomes an easy wiring solution. All you need to do is connect power, grounds, the fan, fuel pump and the A/C request. The remainder of the harness is the Fiero one that connects the gauge inputs, trans switch, etc. The downside is that you end up with a harness that is not quite as neat as a full custom harness. My harness may be the only one made in this fashion but everything works perfectly.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-06-2012).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Nice upgrade; but why two different style relays? Arnt both stock Fiero relays the same?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Nice upgrade; but why two different style relays? Arnt both stock Fiero relays the same?

Yes both Fiero relays are SPST relays.

For both the Fuel Pump and the AC relay you only need a SPST (Gray) relay. If you use Darth's cruise set up you will want to use a SPDT (Black) relay.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 01-03-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
I took this from another forum but I have had issues in the past with identifying correct pins due to the number differences.
Is this correct for our applications?

Assume you are wiring a fan or fuel pump.

Pin 1 would be the fused battery feed to the relay.
Pin 2 would be the feed to the fan or fuel pump or other load when the relay
was not energized. In automotive applications this is rarely used.
Pin 3 Would be the feed to the fan or fuel pump or other load when the relay
is energized. This is the most common usage
Pin 4 Would be the connection to your switch to activate the relay
Pin 5 would be grounded.

Your relay will not be number 1-5. There is a standard for relay terminal numbers.
Your pin 1 would be pin 30 Power feed
Your pin 2 would be pin 87a Normally open
Your pin 3 would be pin 87 Normally closed
your pin 4 would be pin 85 Activation feed
Your pin 5 would be pin 86 Ground

There are several threads on here on relay wiring. Most relays hav a small schematic printed on the case
The 30 87a etc is a standard that most automotive relays follow.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The fan relay wires differently than the fuel pump relay.

The ECM provides +12v on the control lead that runs to the relay to turn on the fuel pump.

You would use a SPST relay for this. A SPST relay does not have an 87A (Normally Closed) contact.

-----
Fuel Pump Relay Wiring

Green/White - Switched power from the ECM that provides +12v when the ECM commands the fuel pump to run - Pin 85 - Relay Coil
Black - Ground - Pin 86 - Relay Coil
Orange/Black - Fused unswitched 20A fuel pump power from the fuse block - Pin 87 - Normally Open
Tan/White - Power from the relay to the fuel pump itself - Pin 30 - Movable contact

------

Originally posted by CC Rider:

I took this from another forum but I have had issues in the past with identifying correct pins due to the number differences.
Is this correct for our applications?

Assume you are wiring a fan or fuel pump.

Pin 1 would be the fused battery feed to the relay.
Pin 2 would be the feed to the fan or fuel pump or other load when the relay
was not energized. In automotive applications this is rarely used.
Pin 3 Would be the feed to the fan or fuel pump or other load when the relay
is energized. This is the most common usage
Pin 4 Would be the connection to your switch to activate the relay
Pin 5 would be grounded.

Your relay will not be number 1-5. There is a standard for relay terminal numbers.
Your pin 1 would be pin 30 Power feed
Your pin 2 would be pin 87a Normally CLOSED
Your pin 3 would be pin 87 Normally OPEN
your pin 4 would be pin 85 Activation feed
Your pin 5 would be pin 86 Ground

There are several threads on here on relay wiring. Most relays hav a small schematic printed on the case
The 30 87a etc is a standard that most automotive relays follow.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 01-03-2013).]

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Using Darths wiring diagram and the relay pins are identified by letters but I'm using the new type relays
that have numbers. Can you tell me if my conversion is correct please.

A = 85
B = 30
C = 86
D = 87
E = 87a
CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

CC Rider

2037 posts
Member since May 2001
I may have the last 2 switched
Need help please
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well rather than trying to translate to pins of a relay that you are not going to be using lets keep it to the ones that you are going to be using.

All wiring from the PCM will go to only the coil wires of the relay. Those pins are 85 and 86. These two can be used interchangeably.

Fuel pump - Green/White - Goes to one of the pins. The other coil pin gets a black wire and that runs to ground.

A/C Relay - Lt Blue (AC request) comes from C203 D and runs to one of the coil pins and also runs to the PCM pin for A/C request. Then from the PCM A/C relay control, a dark blue wire runs to the other pin of the coil.
CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by CC Rider (edited 02-18-2013).]

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

CC Rider

2037 posts
Member since May 2001
Thanks for the help!!

[This message has been edited by CC Rider (edited 02-18-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay